Jump to content

Is Symphony cutting entertainment options - No 2nd Aquashow or Skating show on my cruise


cdoobiest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just off Symphony and we had a really good time.  However, I noticed there was not a second Aqua show  (Aquanation) or skating show (ISkate 2.0) as mentioned in other people's review.  We had lots to keep us busy but I was curious if RCCL is cutting stuff out or is it just me.  I also thought the cruise compass was pretty low on events to do.  While we kept ourselves busy, I remember the cruise events being packed that there was too much to choose from and a great variety. 

 

This cruise, only a few movies, no second aqua or skating show (like mentioned above), no free skating times, no movie on the pool deck to mention a few things.  

 

Just an observation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's odd, the ice skaters and swimmers are already on board and would sit around doing nothing. Unless maybe they have started rotating one set of skaters and swimmers between two ships like they do with comedians and other entertainers.

 

p.s. Last week on Liberty of the Seas the ice show was presented four times, twice on day 2 and twice on day 4.

Edited by SG65CB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on the January 25 sailing of Symphony.  There was a preview for Aquanation at the Top Tier Party, but that was the only time it was ever mentioned, they never showed it.  Now granted, one of the showings of Hero had to be rescheduled to another day due to wavy seas, so maybe that was it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SG65CB said:

That's odd, the ice skaters and swimmers are already on board and would sit around doing nothing. Unless maybe they have started rotating one set of skaters and swimmers between two ships like they do with comedians and other entertainers.

 

p.s. Last week on Liberty of the Seas the ice show was presented four times, twice on day 2 and twice on day 4.

 

They are asking about a second show, not about additional performances

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hiro and the Ice Show was not cancelled on the scheduled nights.  On Day 6 sea day, no added shows for HIRO or ICE Show, just the Flight in Royal Theater.  There was family comedy night on Day 4 in Royal Theater.  

 

A little disappointing they couldn't have had the Aquanation show.  On Day 6, perfect sailing weather.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had friends cruising on other lines / ships  last week who mentioned really rough seas off the coast of Florida ln Friday...which is prime time for Aquanation. 
 

while it’s possibly there is some crazy thing going on with cost cutting - I think maybe they have gone with a different transition schedule to save funds and new crews have not yet learned the performances?    When we cruised last April on Symphony we actually had 2 ice crews on board and there had been for a few weeks.   The ‘old’ cast performed 1977 for the last time and the new cast iSkate for the first time.     The CD indicated that there had been a lot of extra hours used for rehearsal during this switch over.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope they are not rotating the performers like they do for comedians. That ultimately means stops where you don't want to go. 

 An example is a stop in the middle of the night for 2 hours in Nassau to exchange comedians with another ship. And be charged port charges. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The week the OP notes of show reduction, may have been a change over week for cast and the old cast for said shows going off contracts and new casts arriving with rehearsals and fittings to complete. May impact the number of show runs scheduled. We know this from experience and knowing specific cast members.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cdoobiest said:

Hiro and the Ice Show was not cancelled on the scheduled nights.  On Day 6 sea day, no added shows for HIRO or ICE Show, just the Flight in Royal Theater.  There was family comedy night on Day 4 in Royal Theater.  

 

A little disappointing they couldn't have had the Aquanation show.  On Day 6, perfect sailing weather.  

The ICE show, 1977 was cut short one night due to "technical difficulties".  The scenery current malfunctioned.

Never saw anything about Aquanation listed on the schedule and HIRO was performed on each scheduled night.  We missed the first night as the weather leaving Miami wasn't good.  But the show went on.

No interest in Hairspray, seen way too many times in various venues and formats.  But Flight was an excellent production. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As all performers in the mentioned shows are part of the ship’s crew, I doubt there was any financial reason behind you not having the shows. I would expect it was one of three reasons...1-Sea conditions made doing the shows impossible, 2-Some kind of a malfunction in the theater which precluded the performance, or 3-A changing over of casts which necessitated a reduced performance schedule.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Symphony specifically during a backstage tour I was told that Flight is a very technical show that requires additional riggers and back stage crew.  Some of those backstage crew come from the Aqua Theater.   The impact is that they can't run Hiro and Flight on the same nights.  

 

If Hiro has to cancel due to weather it can be difficult to reschedule because it can't be offered when Flight is running.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have been additional, different performances, of the diving show as well as the ice show on several of our oasis class ships. They are not mentioned in the cruise planner but are noted in the compass or the app. No reservations are necessary for these more casual performances

 

My last experience with this was harmony in October. They had a 50s beach type diving show and they had a futuristic skating show

m

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

There have been additional, different performances, of the diving show as well as the ice show on several of our oasis class ships. They are not mentioned in the cruise planner but are noted in the compass or the app. No reservations are necessary for these more casual performances

 

My last experience with this was harmony in October. They had a 50s beach type diving show and they had a futuristic skating show

m

 

Hideaway Heist and I Skate 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sdrocks said:

We were on the Oasis Feb 16 & Feb 23 & there were some nights of 2 skating and 2 aqua shows. 

Again, not what is being questioned. You are citing repeat performances. Oasis and Allure have in the past had two completely different Aqua shows during the week. The question is whether one of them is being eliminated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2020 at 8:18 PM, BPyser1 said:

I was on the January 25 sailing of Symphony.  There was a preview for Aquanation at the Top Tier Party, but that was the only time it was ever mentioned, they never showed it.

We were also on that cruise. At the Top Tier Party, the CD said that they hadn't scheduled Aquanation for almost 2 months because they know the seas are rougher during these months. But the crew practices for the show, and that's why they performed a part of it for us. So it sounded like they plan on doing this again at some point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...