Cruise Critic Community
ampc007

can I still buy insurance?

we have only put the down payment down for a cruise in november 2020 , we have until July for final payments. We have not purchased travel insurance but would like to still do so. Can we still do that and if so, when would be the last time frame to do that? 

If you are concerned about coronavirus and seeking travel insurance with a "cancel for any reason" benefit, we do offer a cruise plan that extends eligibility requirements for CFAR up until that final payment. If you want us to help with a quote, email news@insuremytrip.com and we will match you to a travel insurance agent.

can you double insure a cruise, meaning buy a policy from someone like your agency but then buy one from the cruise line?.  i realize most CFAR policies from independent agencies give 75% cash back then i was wondering if you bought the cruise lines CFAR that gives  you 75% future credit if that would be allowed.

No. You can’t collect twice for the same loss. Once it is revealed in the claims process, one or the other would be denied.

I believe that one of the questions on the claim form is whether you have other insurance or have been offered a credit/compensation. Failure to reveal that is considered insurance fraud. I don’t think that is your intention.

Given I have an undeniable pre-existing condition I get to know a bit more than some about travel insurance.

IF the typical travel insurance is not purchased within a fairly short window of the original deposit - for AIG and most it is 14 days - emergency extradition or medical coverage for any event that can be construed to be due to that condition is not available. The insurance has to be purchased pretty much at the same time as the initial deposit to duck the pre-existing condition part. Insurers typically will go rooting for that as a reason to deny a claim, with the coronovirus scare they will be even more interested in making such a link. The list of things that they can pull up if they really want as a pre-existing condition is quite long.

The only certain way to get travel insurance that would be worry free is to buy a cancel for any reason policy now. I suspect the cost of such a policy, purchased this long after booking, might make your eyes pop. But peace of mind may be worth the money.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:12 AM, Babr said:

I believe that one of the questions on the claim form is whether you have other insurance or have been offered a credit/compensation. Failure to reveal that is considered insurance fraud. I don’t think that is your intention.

no the intent is to insure either the 25% i cannot get FCC from the cruise line or 25% that i cannot get back thru CFAR and be made 100% whole, not 200%

Since both cover your loss at the 75% level, I believe that either would consider the claim settled if you got 75% return. To my knowledge there is not a coordination of benefits, especially since you are dealing with two different types of payment. You are not likely to get 75% cruise credit from the cruise line and the 25% remainder in cash from another insurance policy or vice versa.

I understand your logic, but I don’t think it works that way.

I think this tread closed a few days ago, so InsureMyTrip may no longer be responding to questions. You could give them a call to see what they say.

found this thru the celebrity link..interesting. leads me to believe it may cover it.

Excess Insurance: Insurance provided by this policy shall be in excess of all other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity except for Medical Expenses incurred from an Injury or as required by state law. If at the time of the occurrence of any loss there is other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity in place, We shall be liable only for the excess of the amount of loss, over the amount of such other insurance or indemnity, and applicable deductible. Recovery of losses from other parties does not result in a refund of premium paid.

The problem with that is the cancel for any reason provision is not insurance. It is a separate benefit provided by the cruise line, not the insurance underwriter. That is why it is paid out as a cruise credit instead of cash.

You do raise an interesting question, but I think this just means that the cruise line is secondary to any other insurance you may have for medical coverage.