Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
allyfrizzle

MSC Meraviglia being denied access in Jamaica

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

While the story hasn't been picked up by mainstream media yet,  various travel forums, Reuters, and a few other sources are reporting that MSC Meraviglia has just been denied entry into Cozumel.

 

Yeah and the snap shot from below is exactly the kind of b/s fake news that causes the problems. They  weren't denied because of a pax with suspected corona. Grand Caymen denied them because MSC reported a crew member had influenza A. Jamaica just couldn't make up their mind so the captain departed after they left them kicking their heels for 4 hours and the day was basically shot. Its now become like a domino effect

Screenshot_2020-02-26-16-35-51.png

Edited by Mattnvick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mattnvick does anyone pay attention to cruise news law? 

 

I'm still waiting for main stream media to report that Meraviglia has been refused entry into Cozumel. Lots and lots of off-shoot information sites are reporting, but I'd like to hear it from the big guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Mattnvick does anyone pay attention to cruise news law? 

 

I'm still waiting for main stream media to report that Meraviglia has been refused entry into Cozumel. Lots and lots of off-shoot information sites are reporting, but I'd like to hear it from the big guys.

 

 

Re the first bit lets hope not.

 

Re the 2nd lets hope if they do, they can report accurate stuff and not just hype and hysteria.

 

But im not holding my breath...... 😌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

So basically in response to your 2nd point BB, No!!!!

 

I feel sorry MSC its just crazy and got way, way out of hand.

 

So will Miami let them back whenever they are due??

Edited by Mattnvick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

 

So basically in response to your 2nd point BB, No!!!!

 

I feel sorry MSC its just crazy and got way, way out of hand.

 

So will Miami let them back whenever they are due??

 

I'm going to go ahead and say what I suspect others are thinking........  Is there something more to this story than we are being told? It seems absolutely absurd to restrict entry based on the MSC press release. If this is truly influenza A ,and it has been documented to be influenza A, and there are no other crew sick, and there are no other crew on-board who traveled through infected areas,; I can't see why Mexico would not have allowed them to dock.

 

Until I'm given proof otherwise, I'm choosing to believe the MSC press release; but that doesn't stop me from wondering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

I'm going to go ahead and say what I suspect others are thinking........  Is there something more to this story than we are being told? It seems absolutely absurd to restrict entry based on the MSC press release. If this is truly influenza A ,and it has been documented to be influenza A, and there are no other crew sick, and there are no other crew on-board who traveled through infected areas,; I can't see why Mexico would not have allowed them to dock.

 

Until I'm given proof otherwise, I'm choosing to believe the MSC press release; but that doesn't stop me from wondering. 

 

Time will tell for sure.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

found this but can't confirm his from the Port Captain of Cozumel - English translation -
CANCELED ARRIVAL FROM CRUISE SHIP TO COZUMEL FOR CORONAVIRUS
Cozumel - On the International Health instructions, the MSC Meraviglia cruise ship will no longer arrive on Cozumel Island and this was determined after an emerging meeting held by
 port authorities on Cozumel Island.
The cruise ship was rejected in the Cayman Islands and Jamaica for the suspicion of a passenger with a coronavirus (Covid-19), so it did not dock on the shores of these ports and was headed towards Cozumel Island.
However, a meeting was held on the island that ended a few minutes ago, apparently at the Port Captain, which was convened by International Health.
After this meeting, the cancellation of the arrival of the MSC Meraviglia cruise ship to Cozumel Island was determined and through the offices the Consignataria del Sureste S.A. from C.V., who made the news known.

[1](https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reaction/profile/browser/...)

87939268_10215909317475967_8436122643375063040_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the March 1 Roll Call (which is when I sail!)  there's a post from a passenger currently on board who says they have changed their itinerary and will now be going to Roatan and Belize.  Guess we'll know for sure tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

I'm going to go ahead and say what I suspect others are thinking........  Is there something more to this story than we are being told? It seems absolutely absurd to restrict entry based on the MSC press release. If this is truly influenza A ,and it has been documented to be influenza A, and there are no other crew sick, and there are no other crew on-board who traveled through infected areas,; I can't see why Mexico would not have allowed them to dock.

 

Until I'm given proof otherwise, I'm choosing to believe the MSC press release; but that doesn't stop me from wondering. 

 

My guess would be they are proceeding with extreme caution. In the US the first kits the CDC sent out were faulty.  And some medical professionals are reporting problems with the replacement kits.  Some people off the Princess Diamond are having false positives and false negatives -- results switching back and forth.  I saw that MSC reported the crew member tested positive for Flu, but did it state negative for Corona Virus?  And even if they have a Corona Virus test kit, what kind of "lab" can they have on board to be accurate enough to take a chance when someone is displaying symptoms consistent with Corona?

 

Again, everyone is saying "it's nothing... it;s just like the flu"  but do your eyes lie?  Look at what all the government employees dealing with infected and suspected infected people are wearing.  When is that last time you had the flu and your doctor wore a hazmat suit?   There are many missing pieces of information in many stories.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flahagan said:

On the March 1 Roll Call (which is when I sail!)  there's a post from a passenger currently on board who says they have changed their itinerary and will now be going to Roatan and Belize.  Guess we'll know for sure tomorrow. 

That is the opposite direction to where the ship is currently heading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sidari said:

That is the opposite direction to where the ship is currently heading.

 

Not exactly opposite, but you would think she would have made the turn now. I can't see how Meraviglia can get from this position, to Belize, and back to Miami by Sunday (although I suppose it's possible). Is Mera scheduled in ocean cay? If so, that should be her next attempt. Here is her current location as of 10 minutes ago.

 

image.png.c1db55e8da5a2547612d0270a57fda3e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sidari said:

That is the opposite direction to where the ship is currently heading.

Well then, I give up, lol!  I'm trying to find info for our cruise that is supposed to begin in just a few days so I've been going to the MSC website, the Roll Call for our cruise and any thread I can follow.  This is getting so out of hand, just crazy!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

 

My guess would be they are proceeding with extreme caution. In the US the first kits the CDC sent out were faulty.  And some medical professionals are reporting problems with the replacement kits.  Some people off the Princess Diamond are having false positives and false negatives -- results switching back and forth.  I saw that MSC reported the crew member tested positive for Flu, but did it state negative for Corona Virus?  And even if they have a Corona Virus test kit, what kind of "lab" can they have on board to be accurate enough to take a chance when someone is displaying symptoms consistent with Corona?

 

Again, everyone is saying "it's nothing... it;s just like the flu"  but do your eyes lie?  Look at what all the government employees dealing with infected and suspected infected people are wearing.  When is that last time you had the flu and your doctor wore a hazmat suit?   There are many missing pieces of information in many stories.

 

 

 

And the winner of the internet today is SunNFunCruzer :) :) :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

Not exactly opposite, but you would think she would have made the turn now. I can't see how Meraviglia can get from this position, to Belize, and back to Miami by Sunday (although I suppose it's possible). Is Mera scheduled in ocean cay? If so, that should be her next attempt. Here is her current location as of 10 minutes ago.

 

image.png.c1db55e8da5a2547612d0270a57fda3e.png

Why in the world are they headed to Cozumel if they've already been denied docking there?!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, flahagan said:

Why in the world are they headed to Cozumel if they've already been denied docking there?!!!

 

It is because they have not been denied docking there (yet).  Otherwise, they would have slowed down and changed direction.  It is possible that they will receive a formal denial soon, in which case they will change direction.  Alternatively, they will dock, and then let the Mexican health authorities on board to assess the situation.  The Mexican authorities will either allow the ship to disembark passengers or have the ship leave.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, flahagan said:

Why in the world are they headed to Cozumel if they've already been denied docking there?!!!

 

 

It may be an issue of just sailing with the current. It could also be that they don't want their course change to show on the ship mapping system for passengers just yet (the maps on the TV in all staterooms). INot sure, but time will tell.   Here is a bigger map of the area. Meraviglia is in yellow highlight. See how far Belize and Roatan are? It's highly unlikely IMO

image.png.2135ec127543462cb5c35497b3438be1.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

It is because they have not been denied docking there (yet).  Otherwise, they would have slowed down and changed direction.  It is possible that they will receive a formal denial soon, in which case they will change direction.  Alternatively, they will dock, and then let the Mexican health authorities on board to assess the situation.  The Mexican authorities will either allow the ship to disembark passengers or have the ship leave.  

 

 

That will be the key then!!! What will they wear to board? The hazmat suit......or the lounge suit.......watching with interest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

It is because they have not been denied docking there (yet).  

 

 

Can you please explain? Here are three mainstream news articles saying that they have already been denied docking, and there is an announcement from the Port of Cozumel circulating social media that they have been denied docking. Is there more to the story we aren't aware of?

 

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-26/mexican-port-denies-cruise-ship-permission-to-dock-over-coronavirus-fears

 

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/26/world/americas/26reuters-china-health-mexico-port.html?searchResultPosition=7

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/reuters-america-mexican-port-authority-cancels-permission-for-cruise-ship-msc-meraviglia-to-disembark-in-cozumel-over-coronavirus-fears-.html

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious — does anyone know what additional pre-screening is being done prior to boarding?  I am having flashbacks to answering a four question form prior to boarding a previous cruise.  You answered if you had a fever, cough, diarrhea, and so on.  Everyone answered no to all the questions out of fear of being denied boarding.  
 

I have read that they have body scans to read your temperature, but my temperature runs high when I get migraines (sometimes over 100).  Just want to know what they are doing.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's doing 22.2 Knots according to one of the popular naval traffic sites, destination still showing Cozumel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr305 said:

She's doing 22.2 Knots according to one of the popular naval traffic sites, destination still showing Cozumel.

 

Unfortunately, the destination listed on ship tracker doesn't do much good. It showed destination Grand Cayman all day today even though Grand Cayman denied them late last night. But, I do agree that they have not slowed down and turned north as one might expect, which is strange. Only the Captain knows why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

Just curious — does anyone know what additional pre-screening is being done prior to boarding?  I am having flashbacks to answering a four question form prior to boarding a previous cruise.  You answered if you had a fever, cough, diarrhea, and so on.  Everyone answered no to all the questions out of fear of being denied boarding.  
 

I have read that they have body scans to read your temperature, but my temperature runs high when I get migraines (sometimes over 100).  Just want to know what they are doing.

 

Departed on Feb 16 on the Mera.  In addition to completing the standard form, there was additional paperwork addressing those who had been in China recently (I forget the details.) 

 

They also were performing a thermal temperature scan on everyone.  When we boarded on Feb 16, I had the distinct impression that they were just 'going through the motions' of that test. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

Just curious — does anyone know what additional pre-screening is being done prior to boarding?  I am having flashbacks to answering a four question form prior to boarding a previous cruise.  You answered if you had a fever, cough, diarrhea, and so on.  Everyone answered no to all the questions out of fear of being denied boarding.  
 

I have read that they have body scans to read your temperature, but my temperature runs high when I get migraines (sometimes over 100).  Just want to know what they are doing.

I had the whole body thermal scan two weeks ago in Miami. You stood in a set of feet and were scanned. No one would have raised a red flag unless they had a fever, I think over 100.4 or looked very sick with sneezing and coughing.  My temp runs 96.8 so I wonder if I would trigger the scanner with a fever. There were quite a few s ick peop!e on the Seaside by last Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...