My TA wants to charge me $33 of any changes that we make to our reservation!

I changed my cabin today and I guess that it took my TA some time. So moving forward she is going to charge $33 for every category change, repricing etc. I am a little bit peeved with her. My cruise isn’t until January 2021 and I imagine that I will reprice it a couple of times never mind upgrade if the price is right or ask for that additional perk!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks all!

No, I’ve never experienced that.  I have had a TA charge a fee for canceling a cruise.  I now know to ask about that before booking.  If I were you I’d cancel and rebook with another TA...unless your TA is going to charge you more in a cancellation fee.

That would be the last cruise that I would book with that TA. Changing cabins and repricing are very routine tasks, not extra or special services to be billed to the customer.

Edited by Fouremco

There are far too many good, ethical, honest TAs out there to keep doing business with one like this. 

I hope you find one soon and can transfer your booking before final payment. 

5 minutes ago, yvrbos said:

I changed my cabin today and I guess that it took my TA some time. So moving forward she is going to charge $33 for every category change, repricing etc. I am a little bit peeved with her. My cruise isn’t until January 2021 and I imagine that I will reprice it a couple of times never mind upgrade if the price is right or ask for that additional perk!

Thanks all!

Its a learning process and knowing what to ask TA's.  I been in the business, running hotels, so I have dealt with them for years.  I always clarify with TA's even ones I use often what fees if any would be applied if changes, and or cxls are done.  I would not work with a TA that does additional charges unless it was an incredible rate I got thru them.  Ta's I never dealt with almost go thru a job interview from me, from asking about there experience etc.  From your past mentioning about this TA they do not seem to be that familiar with cruises, since they didnt know how to get a lower rate etc.  Its up to you if you want to keep dealing with them or cxl and rebook with someone else or just straight thru celebrity if the rate is the same.  

I've never tried this, but it has been mentioned here on CC that you can ask the cruiseline and ask them yank a reservation away from a TA.  That would leave no opening for the TA to levy any garbage charges.

I wish I knew about this when I had to endure lazy TA previously.  I had more than one cruise in the queue.  Cancel and rebook was not possible because of higher fares.  I had to grin and bear it until all the cruises were done  😐

What does your original agreement say about fees?  You may have signed something that allows them to do this.  If you didn't, then I'd agree with those who say cancel or ask Celebrity to take over the reservation from the TA.

I rebooked a cabin today for an August Alaska cruise.  Savings of $320 on the cabin and new rate also included all 4 perks vs. 1 in original booking -- worth an additional $300 or more of stuff we were going to pay for.  But in rebooking the TA OBC was reduced $50 (and they clearly state later changes may affect OBC or other TA perks at the time you reserve with them).  So perhaps the cost to change can take different forms at different times.  Even factoring the slightly reduced OBC the rebook was a 16% reduction from original booking which was made when the cruise first came out - so I am happy.

That said I have changed before with this TA and not had any OBC changes or fees -- so a flat $33 every time vs. it being dependent on the situation would have me looking for someone else unless you are absolutely getting the best price or service.

Edited by dbuckho

The TA OBC is based on the price of the cruise.  Depending on the TA, it can be a percentage of the total; sometimes it's a set amount based on where the price of your booking falls within a range.  If you get the room for cheaper, they make less money on the booking, and your share can be adjusted accordingly.  That is different than a flat fee, for sure.

I wouldn't cancel as you may not get the same deal you currently have (although if you just repriced today then maybe you could and that might be the easiest thing to do).

Otherwise explain to the TA that wasn't the arrangement when they started servicing the reservation and it's not a standard practice of other well known TAs.   Suggest that they continue to service this reservation without fees (if that was the original agreement) or release the reservation back to Celebrity.

Like I said it would be easier to just cancel and rebook with one of the well known agencies if you can get the same pricing today.   Of course if it is NRD then that can be another issue.

A cabin move to the same category should not incur re-pricing nor a TA fee. The big box we use only reduces the amount of their cash card when there is a significant reduction in fare. When I first began using them to book cruises in 2011, they'd charge a $25 fee for re-pricing. I guess they wised up and decided that lesser cash back was more palatable to their members than the fee....

Can you check with X about changing to another TA..You should not be stuck with this one!   If you can change TAs without penalty ( check your TA contract) I would switch asap.. A reg Celeb Cruise planner can  do changes without extra charge to you..

I  tell the agent that straight out that is unacceptable and if she charges me for every change it will be the last booking with her.   If she is not the owner I would address this directly to the owner.  Why it would take her an extended period of time to change a room is beyond me.   I changed one of mine on a cruise that I'm still holding the reservation and it took me less than 5 minutes and I'm not an agent.

I have one client that has me calling the cruise line so often to get obscure questions answered, that as soon as I book a new cruise for her, I automatically get out a sheet of paper to document all the calls I'll be making, who I spoke with, what date and time.  By the time she sails about a year later, I will have filled up BOTH sides of that 8.5 x 11" paper.  I seriously spend more time on her bookings than any other client by far.  It drives me batty, but I also know she appreciates what I do for her.  In other words, servicing a booking is part of the deal.  I want this client so I'm willing to do the extra work for her every single time.  You need a TA who appreciates your business!

So I contacted Celebrity and I was given the instructions on how to transfer my reservation back to Celebrity. So I have emailed that TA with the instructions. We shall see what she says.

Thank you for all the feedback. Your encouragement has prompted me to take this step.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, yvrbos said:

So I contacted Celebrity and I was given the instructions on how to transfer my reservation back to Celebrity. So I have emailed that TA with the instructions. We shall see what she says.

Thank you for all the feedback. Your encouragement has prompted me to take this step.

Thanks!

I didn't realize you could do this. Hopefully the TA will relinquish your booking back to Celebrity. 

9 hours ago, yvrbos said:

Thanks all!

Yes. Several ch a rage change fees.  Unless they have great perks it is time for a new TA.