Live Blog Splendor 2/25

crusin7

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Hope you have a great trip, Gerry.  I'm very much looking forward to your always helpful, honest, and objective posts.  I'll especially be interested in reading your impressions of Splendor (along with comparisons to Explorer).  Best Regards and Safe Travels.

Thanks pingpong1 --  I will be happy to add my impressions of the Spendor to the JOINT blog a group of us will be doing, headed by BobLerm - who not only takes great photos but writes so very well...   But I cannot make comparisons with Explorer simply because I have not been on Explorer.... I will be as honest as I can.  But no comparisons.  Will leave those to others (Bob and Jackie certainly) who have been on both ships!

6 hours ago, crusin7 said:

I went back to the Meridian Lounge last night  and swallowed one of their Primo Spicy Margaritas.  They are excellent!  I wish they were available ship wide.

Possible dopey question alert:  if you were in, say, the Splendor Lounge, and had a hankering for the Primo Spicy Margarita, if you just told them the ingredients, would they not be able to mix you a proper one?

Sorry to put a damper on your superb Splendour blog, but from the land and outside the ships the world is being affected totally by conversations re the coronavirus issue.

What is the situation on the ship re measures introduced to prevent etc

Are people concerned , worried on this?

We are both next on Regent on April 7th in Tahiti; now getting informed that all people to reach French Polynesia must have a less than 5 day old clean health certificate, will the ship be able to dock? Are ports being changed re this cruise?

In view of the Princess ship off California, and now Italian measures not sure how things are going to go

Are people on board just keeping calm and carry on cruising?

13 hours ago, boblerm said:

Possible dopey question alert:  if you were in, say, the Splendor Lounge, and had a hankering for the Primo Spicy Margarita, if you just told them the ingredients, would they not be able to mix you a proper one?

No sadly !  There are 3 “Mixologists” who work in the lab(behind the bar). They wear black gloves and work with tiny atomizers and miniature potions.  They have multiple bottles to choose from.  I will try and get a picture tonight.

3 hours ago, GrJ Berks said:

Sorry to put a damper on your superb Splendour blog, but from the land and outside the ships the world is being affected totally by conversations re the coronavirus issue.

What is the situation on the ship re measures introduced to prevent etc

Are people concerned , worried on this?

We are both next on Regent on April 7th in Tahiti; now getting informed that all people to reach French Polynesia must have a less than 5 day old clean health certificate, will the ship be able to dock? Are ports being changed re this cruise?

In view of the Princess ship off California, and now Italian measures not sure how things are going to go

Are people on board just keeping calm and carry on cruising?

Yes,  people are calm and carrying on!   During the captains announcements he tells us to wash our hands frequently. Most people are using the hand sanitizers. The buffet is still self-serve. Occasionally you will see a guest using a paper napkin to pick up the utensils. I have not been to any parties (7 Seas, Captain reception)  so I don’t know  if there is any handshaking.  I know everyone is aware of the virus but not too concerned yet.  

• Like 1

We had dinner in Prime 7 last night.  It was our best meal!  We all had prime rib.  This is the first time we asked for a small portion and Ruth, our excellent server, said “Sure, I will cut it in half.”  Duh!  

Prime Mouthwatering Rib

324DB0EC-3CD7-4C8C-A1E2-D43B1FCD7730.thumb.jpeg.0d06bb220f417e6c97228fdd7ca6669c.jpeg

Crispy Onion Rings604EA558-7A44-40B9-B7DB-52FABF7BBFEB.thumb.jpeg.ce88dbd3c388f0bc7ccfa5eae8f42599.jpeg

I got the fresh seasonal berries  and other brave souls had the Caramel Popcorn Sundae.92312921-E2C2-483F-A2CF-91E88FAC0CC1.thumb.jpeg.52a6e81d7add0e4abc9e5239d12760d2.jpeg

SundaeFAB86498-AB8C-4E82-9553-B080022D23A8.thumb.jpeg.15b9b47ec43141db4696151638a07730.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, crusin7 said:

Yes,  people are calm and carrying on!   During the captains announcements he tells us to wash our hands frequently. Most people are using the hand sanitizers. The buffet is still self-serve. Occasionally you will see a guest using a paper napkin to pick up the utensils. I have not been to any parties (7 Seas, Captain reception)  so I don’t know  if there is any handshaking.  I know everyone is aware of the virus but not too concerned yet.  

This was one of the best posts - so far.  A Week and a Wake-up and we'll be there!

Today we are in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala.  We are docked in an industrial port.  It is very noisy with zero ambience.   Today is cooler with 91°. The humidity feels high so we decided to skip our afternoon excursion.   If you have been here before you know a craft market with many vendors are at the foot of the pier. Unfortunately Holland America is berthed here.   We had to take a 15 -20 minute shuttle to the pavilion.   When we returned unfortunately we had to depart the van and walk through security and wait for our driver to clear security. We stood in the sun for about 5 minutes.  

B5B26ABC-5EC2-4A1A-A076-E84B3F7B76B5.thumb.jpeg.29600d1980f10d6451ad6ef587bd3903.jpeg

11B34B08-2004-47F4-BFB0-76DC74E37FC0.thumb.jpeg.65e1433173b5016602174f9938784df8.jpeg

EE18C873-2C35-4011-AA9C-DCEC465C28E8.thumb.jpeg.55de6cc4af4b5e577e81a888e0275c3f.jpeg

• Like 1

I love Guatemalen textiles.  Beautiful, colourful things!!  And they last.  I bought place mats in Sao Tomas about 10 years ago.  We use them every day and the launder beautifully!   I am really looking forward to this stop.

• Like 1

Had dinner in Pacific Rim last night.  We switched up our meal from last time.  I started with pork & shrimp Siu Mai with a black truffle, Yuzu sauce.  It was excellent.  I would order again.  

Pork & Shrimp Siu Mai

C5A5F380-27F9-48CF-B3D9-E9D7F8319975.thumb.jpeg.9b2a6ccf8fc81fdf967bb670495eb151.jpeg

We had a tuna tartar for the table to share.  Sushi grade tuna, mirin-soy dressing, carrot

& ginger sauce.  It was very good.  Jim will order again without carrot and ginger sauce.

Tuna Tartar

8D0B1CA5-4A62-451A-A075-7DA938B39482.thumb.jpeg.9de80ce42eb3f48e27d4a50742520c59.jpeg

I had steak for my main course.  It was delicious.  

Black Angus NY Strip Loin

seared & sliced, bulgogi sauce, tokyo negotiates mash

0F04A1D4-87C2-405C-8843-1B67B030B88A.thumb.jpeg.634dbda4528fb7091d280dd371ea86c4.jpeg

Cathy had Chinese BBQ Pork Ribs, char siu sauce,sesame seeds.  She liked them very much.  

Chinese Barbecue Pork Ribs

80797C2A-741B-4255-A776-62B1C30930B8.thumb.jpeg.b083b39fc7df25473f7c6c25b73f5dd4.jpeg

We also had Gigantic Pink Tiger Prawns. Not my favorite.  

D744D82A-3AED-4A37-A4E7-393FFDD66A3A.thumb.jpeg.8ca72eb6b44effb91529c8e3a75d9456.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the list - I think the one that I drink too much of is the Pure Dawn!

Dumb question for the day...... does the aft elevator still stop on deck and you need to walk down to deck 5?  

Thank you for taking the time to do your wonderful posts!

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Dumb question for the day...... does the aft elevator still stop on deck and you need to walk down to deck 5?  

Yes, the elevator only goes to deck 5.

Those ribs look delicious.  Our first three Regent cruises have been on Mariner, Voyager and Navigator.  No Pacific Rim yet!!!  Looking forward to it later this year on Splendor.

Thanks for taking the time to report from your cruise, and especially for the great pictures.

17 minutes ago, Pam said:

I thought Signatures turned into Prime 7; maybe Latitudes just went away?  I remember Mariner and Voyager having both; one of them had an open kitchen.

Signatures became Chartreuse, Latitudes became Prime 7.  Hard to keep track of!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Those ribs look delicious.  Our first three Regent cruises have been on Mariner, Voyager and Navigator.  No Pacific Rim yet!!!  Looking forward to it later this year on Splendor.

Thanks for taking the time to report from your cruise, and especially for the great pictures.

Yes they are good, also had them on the Mariner in CR at lunch on day.  It was a daily special.

Signatures had the closed kitchen.  Latitudes the open one.  Latitudes was supposed to reflect the region you were cruising in.  For me this just didn't work.  Then it went "pan Asian" and aside from the satay that didn't work for me either!!

Yesterday we had high gusty winds.  Unfortunately, we had a sea day.  The balconies were closed to all guests.  They even roped off the pool area. The  Filipino barbecue was moved indoors to La Veranda.  

Caviar Service

3D1F1AF4-531B-44A6-B31C-8806A8DEE433.thumb.jpeg.5612c5c7acf1ada8a8c022f246ce3835.jpeg

When you stay in the Master Suite you get one Caviar service.  It was delicious.

The upper tier 7 Seas Event was last night.  Over 200 filled the theater.  I only saw 1 handshake with the Officers.  They passed wine and champagne.  Hors d’oeuvres were passed but no one asked us if we wanted any.  The event was called Showcase on Aretha Franklin.  The female singer, Laveena was very good.  At 6:30 John told us it was dinner time.  

We went to Compass Rose.  When onboard try to have Manu as your server.  He is excellent.  So was my sole.

Dover Sole

FD3789EF-D089-4A66-832C-0EF08420C73E.thumb.jpeg.da556c148e31635ca95b11a184cb533e.jpeg

• Like 2

Happy to see that everything is going well.
We had to cancel our San Diego to Miami cruise on the Splendor next week (mom had to have a 2nd back surgery) and I was feeling pretty melancholy when the insurance check came today.
I hope that everyone has a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

We had no internet since last night.  We had a good time in Acapulco.  We saw the cliff divers and highlights of Acapulco.  The divers were great!  Our guide should have been a comedian.  He was throughly entertaining.  

Cliff Divers

88C6CC06-EAE1-4D41-A3B9-7B577AA42E98.thumb.jpeg.f7185da787860db769a691bc33c0033b.jpeg

We had a beautiful sunset

E63C0073-E696-4C8E-89C1-A4F244812EE0.thumb.jpeg.33e5d93f5d8c88111a274a2f84a12214.jpeg

Dinner was Compass Rose

Turkey

EE60CF85-0839-4651-9413-EC1CDA5DCB6F.thumb.jpeg.8580a9b8e03459f1cb74cdc3dce2bfa4.jpeg

13 hours ago, SuzK said:

Happy to see that everything is going well.
We had to cancel our San Diego to Miami cruise on the Splendor next week (mom had to have a 2nd back surgery) and I was feeling pretty melancholy when the insurance check came today.
I hope that everyone has a wonderful cruise!

So sorry to hear about your mother's surgery - hope she recovers soon.  We will miss you!

Gerry

• Like 1