QV Blog Chile to Uk - Planes Trains Bubbles and riots

roscoe39

thank you ......safely ensconced in the Hotel, the bar-man/woman  now apparently already knows my name. There seems to be a lot of english being spoken in the bar so guessing quite a few of them are booked onto the Worlds best Queen, have updated the blog for todays adventures after the plane landed and now heading to bed for tomorrows trek into the Andes. I might have a chance to dry out there....alchoholseems very cheap here which could explain a lot.....

Edited by roscoe39

all aboard, the ship is in great condition and although the weather hasn't been to everyones tastes most people have had a great trip.

Just a word of warning and a reminder to us all...

There was a group that  took a small mini bus at Coquimbo yesterday to do a tour and at one stage were told when they reached a sight that they could get off and leave their things on the bus that they were safe.

They weren't and everyone came back to find the bus had been cleaned out. 

As they had hired the bus themselves at the port it is completely on their own recognisance. 

I think that most of us would not have left their gear onboard but it is a timely reminder.

Blog updated, Gala tonight, caught up with Gary who is writing his blog, have not seen dagtanian yet.

regards Roscoe

I hadn’t heard about the bus theft Roscoe. Our guide told us similar and to leave all our jewellery in the bus. It was only later I found out other passengers had taken theirs with them not trusting it would be safe with the driver.  Fortunately mine was there when I got back and all the curtains in the bus had been closed for security. I felt safer having a rucksack lock and also it was an official Cunard tour. Don’t think I’ll leave it on the bus next time though!

• 2 weeks later...

well here we are in Aruba after Cartagena refusing us entry to port yesterday. I feel guilty not touring here but we were last here in 2016 and the two things I remember - the big dinosaur on the waterfront now gone sadly...and the excellent wifi. So finally a chance to update blog as the wifi on board has been slow....turtle slow... Which could be down to everyone wanting to use it and check on the changing cruise world. 

Not sure what will happen from here, there are rumours abound but nothing is certain till announced by our fearless leader,  maybe we will be allowed to enter port everglades...who knows but we all think we couldn't be in a safer place than on the QV and at sea.....

new pics uploading on blog and I know Gary is updating in starbucks just down the road... 

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for the update, good luck for Port Everglades !

thanks Hattie, rumours are rife, the world is a changing place but certainly enjoying the space race wifi in aruba! (and the pina coladas help here too)

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, roscoe39 said:

well here we are in Aruba after Cartagena refusing us entry to port yesterday. I feel guilty not touring here but we were last here in 2016 and the two things I remember - the big dinosaur on the waterfront now gone sadly...and the excellent wifi. So finally a chance to update blog as the wifi on board has been slow....turtle slow... Which could be down to everyone wanting to use it and check on the changing cruise world. 

Yes, Roscoe, Cartagena was a great port of call in 2016 and we would love to spend more time there.

Safe travels home but enjoy QV while you can.

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Yes, Roscoe, Cartagena was a great port of call in 2016 and we would love to spend more time there.

Safe travels home but enjoy QV while you can.

thanks, there is nothing that we can do and we are in the lap of the Gods so might as well appreciate that we are probably in one of the safest places around at the moment. Im happy not to be in the states and getting of in FL, 

World Cruise party tonight for those who have done the full circuit so I will enjoy that in case it is the last party they have, the ship will be concerned at getting us back to the uk virus free and her reputation intact which I am more than happy for.

I have booked for next year - I want to show my support for the ship and crew. They work hard and this is worse for them as we can all go back to our homes and jobs this will seriously impact them and the industry in general. 

The virus will pass and life will continue although maybe not as before....

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Our temporary home in Perth , Australia has a Peruvian restaurant so we decided to celebrate your continuing adventure with a couple pisco sours.

Cheers! Colin.

Damn I love those piscos!! We drank the last four shots that we found in the commodore club ages ago!

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:53 PM, daisybel said:

Love your blogs,Rosco.as QV is my favourite ship It brings back happy memories .Which cabin was in your photo.?

thanks Daisybel, Im not sure which one you mean but have just moved again in Fort Lauderdale into the 5002 which is at the front of the ship.

jsut updated blog again our internet has been intermittent but seems to be back to normal

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Roscoe,

Just wondering if you have a better idea of how many passengers are still on board?

Thanks,

Jack

1100 still here and the atmosphere had changed but its bouncing back now....

parties have started......i tried to beat my record of attendees tonight....but you'll have to read about it ..lol

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1

Great blogging Roscoe. Very interested in the stateroom you are in after the photos you

posted. I must say that we have been on ships in FLL and found it is quite normal for people to try to evade disembarkation because of long waits for flights. 
You should arrive in the UK to fine weather and a sadly subdued population. I hope the trip back to NZ goes without too many hitches

I rarely follow any of this "diary" kind of blogs, but yours has taken me away. So much valuable info together with well written text and photos. Thank you so much, I am officially your subscriber now lol. And trust me, its not only your mustache that does the job 😁 . In any case, keep up and keep updating your diary. I wish more people had a journal like this of their travels. Its always interesting to read, especially when you dont travel much yourself