VV is what Celebrity Edge wanted to be

WonderMan3

I have to say that I have paid zero attention to Virgin Voyages since it was first announced awhile back. I noticed that one of the ships had launched and have been browsing videos on YouTube and I have to say I'm impressed. They have really encapsulated that young, hip vibe that you see in places like The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. Some things might be a little too hip for my taste but it looks like it has a fun energy and it really seems to be taking cruising in a new direction and trying to break out of some of the longtime standard cruise line molds. That's why I mentioned Edge in the title of my thread. The ship feels like exactly what Celebrity Edge desperately wanted to be but failed at. Part of Edge's problem is they are trying to cater to both an established senior-leaning customer base with set expectations and likes while at the same time trying to be "edgy" and push Celebrity into new territory and lure in a new younger demographic. Trying to satisfy perceived demands at both ends of the demographic spectrum left that ship feeling a bit disjointed and muddled in concept. Virgin doesn't have that problem since they are starting from scratch and that lets them basically chart their own course and set new trends for the cruise industry. I think the only thing that looked disappointing so far was the ridiculously small pool; not sure what they were thinking with that one, especially with the popularity of pool-based clubs in places like Vegas that market to the same crowd that Virgin appears to be going after. I'm intrigued for the moment and want to see more, especially the suites since that's what I'm used to sailing in on other cruise lines.

• Like 3

Not sure even the young and hip will want to sleep on that sofa bed - especially after its seen a few months use. It will be interesting to see the reports from those paying customers who have actually sailed on it. 

Edited by nigelc
add word
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I have to say that I have paid zero attention to Virgin Voyages since it was first announced awhile back. I noticed that one of the ships had launched and have been browsing videos on YouTube and I have to say I'm impressed. They have really encapsulated that young, hip vibe that you see in places like The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. Some things might be a little too hip for my taste but it looks like it has a fun energy and it really seems to be taking cruising in a new direction and trying to break out of some of the longtime standard cruise line molds. That's why I mentioned Edge in the title of my thread. The ship feels like exactly what Celebrity Edge desperately wanted to be but failed at. Part of Edge's problem is they are trying to cater to both an established senior-leaning customer base with set expectations and likes while at the same time trying to be "edgy" and push Celebrity into new territory and lure in a new younger demographic. Trying to satisfy perceived demands at both ends of the demographic spectrum left that ship feeling a bit disjointed and muddled in concept. Virgin doesn't have that problem since they are starting from scratch and that lets them basically chart their own course and set new trends for the cruise industry. I think the only thing that looked disappointing so far was the ridiculously small pool; not sure what they were thinking with that one, especially with the popularity of pool-based clubs in places like Vegas that market to the same crowd that Virgin appears to be going after. I'm intrigued for the moment and want to see more, especially the suites since that's what I'm used to sailing in on other cruise lines.

You should go through URcomped and try the cruise yourself!

With regard to Celebrity's Edge Class I said from the beginning they should have created a sub-brand; Edge Cruises by Celebrity. This would have clearly delineated what it is and isn't. 

Besides the pool I have my doubts on the cabin designs other than suites. I really enjoy the Infinite Veranda cabins on the Edge and those bathrooms are the most spacious cruiseship cabin bathrooms (nonsuite).

I really am interested in the nightlife aspect of Virgin Voyages. That's really where most cruiselines fall down since they have to cater to all types of musical tastes. I DO NOT expect a 50's night on the Scarlet Lady and I will be sorely disappointed if I hear the Electric Slide or ANY song from Journey or Bon Jovi.

• Like 2

I agree with comments from both of you about comparisons with Edge. Having been in the music biz, you're SO RIGHT about the music and the completely different feel of VV. Enjoy it! We're not on until November.

16 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I agree with comments from both of you about comparisons with Edge. Having been in the music biz, you're SO RIGHT about the music and the completely different feel of VV. Enjoy it! We're not on until November.

Only a handful of times have I enjoyed the dance club music on a mainstream cruiseline. Once in 2010 I was on the Oasis and they had a dance party in the Solarium that had land based dance club music that wasn't watered down. And a couple of times on various NCL ships when they had their White Party nights. But nowadays NCL's White Party Nights music is all over the place.

When I was on the inaugural cruise for the Celebrity Edge I was pretty happy with the music programming throughout the ship. Some great bands and vocalists. One of the main theater shows featured a vocalist covering songs by Bruno Mars and Shawn Mendes!!!  Fast forward 5 months later when I was on the Edge again that same show was totally revamped. Same vocalist, but the first half of the show was a tribute to Motown while the second half was a watered down version of the original show - MINUS the cover of the Shawn Mendes song. Whatsmore a Beatles cover band was added as one of the show. It was QUITE obvious that the passengers DEMANDED more entertainment that was to their own musical tastes. On that particular cruise ONLY the Beatles cover band received a standing ovation and enthusiastic response from the audience. For the Edge's other shows people would literally walk out and/or applause was always sparse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edge did have a great band and a real DJ with good mixes while we were on last spring. But typically the cruiselines give the job of "DJing" to the activities person who drew the short straw, with little to no experience with music. Sad to see... Glad Virgin is bringing actual talent to the stage. Loving the club on Virgin. As soon as I saw it, I thought how tame the Edge club was by comparison.

Can I please ask all of you to define exactly WHAT is it that is sooo different from any other line?  I see a horrific looking cabin design (which looks like everyone said...IKEA furniture all over the place, NO comfort, NO space for clothes, and the SMALLEST bathroom I've seen since the 80s Mardi Gras), a dumb ass tatoo parlor, LOTS of mats all over the place, the TINY pool (If you could even call it that), and an air that lends me to think that this is only for Vegas "look at me" types or those who would visit Hedonism.  I just don't see what is so innovative.  Putting all charges into the price?  Yeah, not so good.  What if I don't want that drink package but I'm paying for it any way?  Once again, struggling to see what is so new.  

We are booked for Sept. 2021 and looking forward to something new....we booked the Edge when it first came out and were excited. Then we finally figured out that we really didn’t have a real balcony, only a virtual balcony which really is only a space with a half window that can open. Also, we on your so-called balcony, AC shuts off.

we truly enjoy our balconies so it was a deal breaker and we cancelled. Maybe VV will be something unique..time will tell..

• Like 1