Fear of the virus (?)

Shippy

Apparently I’m not the only one who feel that the crowds generated by airlines and airports are risky  places to be as far as catching this virus is concerned. Amazon has warned its employees to avoid even domestic air travel. News reports today confirm that all air travel is significantly down, worldwide. While most stocks are down, stocks of airlines and cruise lines seem to be down by some of the highest percentages. In summary, many people are avoiding crowded places in droves.

In Switzerland (country of some 8.5 million people) there are 10 official testing centres.  This virus apparently is not something your local doctor can test for.  And it takes 24 hours or so before test results are known.   We have been told here that should we have any flu like signs we are to self-quarantine and call (not visit) our doctor.  We will then be told what to do.

Our Federal Council has also banned any event/sports match etc where 1000 or more can congregate.  The Geneva Motor Show, due to open on 5th March, won't happen as a result.  Draconian?  yes.   Sensible ?  certainly.   As this goes on I expect more restrictions.  We are used to having our government tell us what we have to do here and we do it.  Pronto!

• Like 1

There has been a 25% increase in the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. in the last 24 hours; 118 cases with 9 deaths (all in the state of Washington).  That equates to a fatality rate of 7.6%.   I think that the number of confirmed cases will grow exponentially, especially in Washington, as the improved test kits are delivered to local health care officials thereby reducing the fatality rate to what the rest of the world is experiencing, between 2 - 3%.  Do not be surprised if King Co (Seattle) institutes some severe restrictions on congregations gathering similar as to what is occurring in some European countries.  School closures are already occurring. Let's hope that the local authorities and the citizens can contain this virus.   

11 minutes ago, mdunne48 said:

There has been a 25% increase in the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. in the last 24 hours; 118 cases with 9 deaths (all in the state of Washington).  That equates to a fatality rate of 7.6%.   I think that the number of confirmed cases will grow exponentially, especially in Washington, as the improved test kits are delivered to local health care officials thereby reducing the fatality rate to what the rest of the world is experiencing, between 2 - 3%.  Do not be surprised if King Co (Seattle) institutes some severe restrictions on congregations gathering similar as to what is occurring in some European countries.  School closures are already occurring. Let's hope that the local authorities and the citizens can contain this virus.   

Thank you for updated numbers.  We live 90 miles north of Seattle and it is important to note that most of the deaths were at the  Life Care Center of Kirkland (a place with very elderly residents).  

I am all for cancelling large gatherings (as has been done in Switzerland) but first, people in the U.S. that need to do stop candidates that continue to hold huge rallies and have stated that they will continue to do so.  NOTE:  This is not a political statement - this goes for all political rallies - no matter which party the candidate is affiliated with.

In terms of school closures, when there have been "suspected" cases of the virus with teachers or children in this state, they are closing the school for 3-4 days and thoroughly disinfecting them.  This, in my opinion is a waste of time.  A teacher or student could be exposed to the virus and be in the newly disinfected school the next day and eventually will spread the virus.  Closure is the way to go.  

It does scare me that the U.S. is so unprepared for this type of a crisis.  It seems that most first world countries are much better prepared than the U.S.  

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

It does scare me that the U.S. is so unprepared for this type of a crisis.  It seems that most first world countries are much better prepared than the U.S.  

In my prior life I spent a number of years in the public health sector - again, not to be political, but not too long ago the US was the leader in the world with regard to disease control and the CDC was visited from almost every country to learn best practices and the CDC went to other countries to share knowledge. If  interested, there have been a number of well researched articles regarding the what has happened to the CDC over the past few years - read for yourself and make your own opinion

• Like 2

Couldn’t agree more about the handling of this virus in the US so far, very disappointing. One of my best friends returned home to the US last week, landing in Newark International Airport after a trip with her church group. They loaded onto a bus for the two hour drive home. Two days ago, she and 2 of her travel mates developed upper respiratory symptoms so she went to the nearby urgent care yesterday. They did not have test kits. She asked what she should do and they told her that since they didn’t know where she could be tested, she should just go home. One of her travel mates had the same experience in her nearly emergency room. Don’t know about the third person. This is unacceptable and not what I expect from the greatest country in the world.

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Couldn’t agree more about the handling of this virus in the US so far, very disappointing. One of my best friends returned home to the US last week, landing in Newark International Airport after a trip with her church group. They loaded onto a bus for the two hour drive home. Two days ago, she and 2 of her travel mates developed upper respiratory symptoms so she went to the nearby urgent care yesterday. They did not have test kits. She asked what she should do and they told her that since they didn’t know where she could be tested, she should just go home. One of her travel mates had the same experience in her nearly emergency room. Don’t know about the third person. This is unacceptable and not what I expect from the greatest country in the world.

Have to agree with you, more needs to be done to stay on top.  Too many cut's in health departments in the US.

• Like 1

So sad.  We had a cruise scheduled for Sunday, but there are more ships in trouble and not being allowed to dock.  My husband has surgery scheduled for the following week.  I could not take the chance of not being allowed to dock.  It seems I heard something about one in LA in just the last couple of days.  We are not shrinking violets and we are generally very well.  His situation is not lung compromised.  

In addition, we also cancelled for Europe in late October.  We think that the hit Venice has taken from this fall with the floods and now is more than they can stand.  We wanted a week in Venice, but not with everything closed.

I think everyone has to weigh their own case.  I simply did not want to endanger my husband in any way.

• Like 1

Just got this from my TA:

Effective immediately, Regent Seven Seas Cruises is providing you greater confidence with Regent Reassurance. For all voyages beginning April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, you can now cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to a new booking within one year on any 2020 or 2021 Regent voyage.

Regent Reassurance begins today and applies to all existing bookings plus new bookings made by April 30, 2020, on all voyages from April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020.

Our top priority continues to be the safety, security and well-being of our guests, partners and team members. We have proactively implemented a comprehensive set of preventative measures and continue to consult with the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control. For the most updated information and an update to our COVID-19 protocols, please refer to https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

14 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I rather doubt that the Cayman Islands refused to allow the ship to dock because there was a case of "normal" flu.   Must have been suspected as Corona virus and the authorities were being cautious.

Gerry, in terms of this crisis, I've learned not to believe everything that I read.  I did post that the MSC ship was denied entry because of one case of the flu.  Although I read this, it is not necessarily true.  Yesterday I read that the Princess ship was off the coast of San Francisco and then moved to Los Angeles.  My daughter apparently read the same thing (and lives in Los Angeles). Other reports have the ship still in San Francisco.  

Have a safe flight tomorrow!

Thanks Jackie - I totally understand what you said above...

Our journey to the ZRH airport was uneventful.  Trains not crowded and on time (well, they usually are here anyway...).  We picked up our bags from the Swiss Federal Railways (who had collected them from our apartment yesterday - great service!) and checked in.  We have our boarding passes.  Tomorrow we will have breakfast in the First class lounge and relax.   Swiss treats their passengers well.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 5:14 AM, wishIweretravelling said:

Just got this from my TA:

Effective immediately, Regent Seven Seas Cruises is providing you greater confidence with Regent Reassurance. For all voyages beginning April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, you can now cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to a new booking within one year on any 2020 or 2021 Regent voyage.

Regent Reassurance begins today and applies to all existing bookings plus new bookings made by April 30, 2020, on all voyages from April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020.

Our top priority continues to be the safety, security and well-being of our guests, partners and team members. We have proactively implemented a comprehensive set of preventative measures and continue to consult with the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control. For the most updated information and an update to our COVID-19 protocols, please refer to https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

It changed late yesterday from 30 days to 48 hours. 

F7C5E8F4-4C9C-4F08-900D-AF0459297AA2.png

gr'aunt - Hopefully you have read the latest communication from Regent.  You know can cancel within 36 hours of the cruise and receive a 100% FCC.  And for those passengers that will stay with their April/May bookings that include Italy will receive a 25% FCC.

36 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

gr'aunt - Hopefully you have read the latest communication from Regent.  You know can cancel within 36 hours of the cruise and receive a 100% FCC.  And for those passengers that will stay with their April/May bookings that include Italy will receive a 25% FCC.

Is it 36 hours or 48? I can't get a straight answer.

For all voyages embarking March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022. 

21 minutes ago, Pacemaker 2016 said:

My balance for cruise in July is due,been e-mailing p&o to ask if ships  are still docking in Italy but can't get a straight answer, nor sure what to do.

I believe that you are posting on the wrong website.  It sounds as if you are on a P&O cruise.  Suggest that you post on that board.

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Is it 36 hours or 48? I can't get a straight answer.

For all voyages embarking March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022. 

Neither can I.  I posted on another thread that it was 48 hours and someone corrected me.  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for your wealth of knowledge!   I do have a question, where can I locate the information regarding 

passengers that will stay with their April/May bookings that include Italy will receive a 25% FCC.  

We are on the Splendor April 16th - May 12th, there has already been many changes to the itinerary that we are happy with.

Enjoy your upcoming trip aboard the Splendor!

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Neither can I.  I posted on another thread that it was 48 hours and someone corrected me.  

From the Regent Site:

"REGENT REASSURANCE
To ensure you feel confident about sailing with Regent, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2022. Click here for more information."

This wording is the same as Oceania's Traveler's Assurance program.

Can you cite a website or post a copy of a letter that shows 36 hours?  

35 minutes ago, Boats07 said:

Thank you for your wealth of knowledge!   I do have a question, where can I locate the information regarding 

passengers that will stay with their April/May bookings that include Italy will receive a 25% FCC.  

We are on the Splendor April 16th - May 12th, there has already been many changes to the itinerary that we are happy with.

Enjoy your upcoming trip aboard the Splendor!

Thank you for your kind comments!  The following letter (copied from a posting on another thread) is what Regent sent out first.

“At Regent Seven Seas Cruises, our extended family of guests and crew is always at the center of everything we do, and the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority. With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling — especially if you have a voyage scheduled to sail during the next several months.

To ensure you feel confident about sailing with Regent, we are introducing Regent Reassurance on all existing bookings and all new bookings made by April 30, 2020. For all voyages embarking March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage, or to sail on a future one.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances — because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.”

Then, on the Regent webpage I found this (yesterday) - we are not affected by this change so did not receive a letter but others did.

Just got this update from our TA...😟 “we are modifying seven itineraries in April and May that previously included calls to Italian ports. Clients who choose to continue sailing the modified itineraries will receive a 25% Future Cruise Credit. Or they may cancel under the terms of Regent Reassurance. Travel Advisors with clients on these impacted voyages will receive individual communications advising of the modified itineraries. The impacted voyages are:

Seven Seas Splendor™: April 30th, May 12th and May 21st
Seven Seas Mariner®: April 8th and April 29th
Seven Seas Voyager®: April 16th and May 11th
The new itineraries will also be updated on 
RSSC.com

10 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

From the Regent Site:

"REGENT REASSURANCE
To ensure you feel confident about sailing with Regent, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2022. Click here for more information."

This wording is the same as Oceania's Traveler's Assurance program.

Can you cite a website or post a copy of a letter that shows 36 hours?  

No - I read it on CC and wrongly assumed that the post was correct (even though a large percentage of what we think we know may not be fact).  As mentioned, when I posted "36" hours, someone corrected me.

Just found the post but there is no data to back up what was said.

2012_Alaska_bound
  • Cool Cruiser
  • 2012_Alaska_bound
  • March 2, 2011
  •  
  • 140 posts
  • Tucson, AZ
   4 hours ago,  Travelcat2 said: 

Hope that you have read the Regent letter that supersedes this one.  You can now cancel within 72 hours of the cruise for 100% FCC.  Additionally (just read about this an hour ago), if you are booked on one of the 6 or 7 itineraries that go to Rome in April/May that have been altered, you will receive at 25% FCC just for taking the cruise.

TC - new Reassurance is 48 hours, not 72. For all sailings through September 2020.

Edited 4 hours ago by 2012_Alaska_bound
Edited by Travelcat2