Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Does this mean we can apply for and get $100 for EVERY sailing?

Yes, per the FAQ linked in post #26 above, you can use it unlimited times. If you are on a ship 52 weeks this year you'll get $5200 in OBC. For frequent cruisers it would be very beneficial to buy the stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Ex-dividend date is March 5 so you might want to buy it soon. With the price so low the dividend is almost 4% annual - although no telling what they'll do with the dividend going forward. 

 

Dividend payouts require cash. If new deposits slow and operating expenses continue with reduced revenue, the dividend may be in jeopardy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Same can be said for a roulette wheel😉

I know! I learned a strategy decades ago. $5 bet. a chip to cover 1-6 and a chip on 8,10,20,26. Puts you around the wheel. I see past results and see the numbers but damn if I end up giving the house my money, usually one slot away from being in the money each spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SG65CB said:

Ex-dividend date is March 5 so you might want to buy it soon. With the price so low the dividend is almost 4% annual - although no telling what they'll do with the dividend going forward. 

I'm not in finance but in my opinion this and CCl and NCLH have a long way down still. MSC Meraviglia in the Caribbean was denied stopping at two ports (I do not know why). Just wait until a ship returns to an  American port and people cannot get off due to quarantine. Hopefully not the Harmony OTS as I have 2 cruises on her in the next 90 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

 

Dividend payouts require cash. If new deposits slow and operating expenses continue with reduced revenue, the dividend may be in jeopardy.

 

I think you are right. I'm buying the stock when I think it nears the bottom. Sadly I couldn't afford the $500 a decade ago when it hit record lows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

MSC Meraviglia in the Caribbean was denied stopping at two ports (I do not know why).

 

Crew member had flu like symptoms.  Apparently he just came back on contract and had been in Manila or the Philippines.  Jamaica decided that was too much to handle, big problem mon.  Media did a blitz over it and GC figured they better say no as well since Jamaica said no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wayne_trisha said:

I know! I learned a strategy decades ago. $5 bet. a chip to cover 1-6 and a chip on 8,10,20,26. Puts you around the wheel. I see past results and see the numbers but damn if I end up giving the house my money, usually one slot away from being in the money each spin.

 

I put $100 on red once. I would have been fine if black came up. 50/50, right. 

 

00 came up. Should have insured it I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

I put $100 on red once. I would have been fine if black came up. 50/50, right. 

 

00 came up. Should have insured it I guess. 

 

I played roulette ONCE.  00 came up and they swept all of the chips off the board. I asked, "Who won?" And she said, "No one, it is the house number, unless you were playing it."

I decided I didn't much like the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:09 PM, h20skibum said:

It might be a good time to buy. 

Or sell!  A little reality here... just because a stock goes down does not mean it is a "good time" to buy.  Some stocks keep going down and some go bankrupt.

 

NO ONE knows the future and coronavirus is totally unpredictable.  If it subsides immediately, yes, the market and RCL will rebound.  If it gets worse, RCL will tank even further.  Sadly, our governmental leadership has not been on top of this, cutting funding for the last three years.  Now, we are going to pay the price.

 

Bottom line, don't listen to anyone on this board who tells you this is the time to buy or that they have bought.  We are not experts and even the experts can't predict the future.

 

This is the time for caution, not speculation!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the thread about the MSC ship, more ships are encountering problems now. 

 

Some folks really think this is a good time to buy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 7:36 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

That all changed last June 1'st.  The stock OBC is now basically combinable with everything for cruises booked after June 1 2019

so you're saying I can get my shareholder OBC even though I have a balcony cabin and got money off due to my C & A status. I thought RCI wouldn't give me any when they already gave me some of their money in the form of a balcony discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

 

Some folks really think this is a good time to buy?

Yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

According to the thread about the MSC ship, more ships are encountering problems now. 

 

Some folks really think this is a good time to buy?

I think it is, but I am only speaking for my own situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes. 

Obviously, my question was rhetorical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wolfcathorse said:

so you're saying I can get my shareholder OBC even though I have a balcony cabin and got money off due to my C & A status. I thought RCI wouldn't give me any when they already gave me some of their money in the form of a balcony discount.

Exactly what I am saying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can get balcony discount as part of your c&a status then get the obc for being a stockholder.  

Now if you were comped a cruise by casino for prime or higher members I was told not able to get stockholder OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 1:44 PM, heidikay said:

Anybody watching the price drop?  Oh my I wonder it where it finish.  It is now at 82.28.


 Me! I had a notification sent if it dropped below $100, guess it went lower. My DH tends to worry about these things, but I start sniffing around for bargains! For me this is a buy market, to each her/his own. Clearance sells on anything my made way too happy!

Edited by AlohaLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set the limit too low yesterday and didn't get in.  Bought 100 shares at market price today.   Have 5 cruises booked and want that $100 shareholder obc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Exactly what I am saying 

 

That's good to know - I've been denied it so often on Royal and Celebrity that I quit asking..... managed to buy 100 shares years ago at $13.85 and originally worked well and paid for itself many times in dividends and OBC.  Later, they started denying the OBC's because I had gotten some perk or other (I could never exactly tell what it was).  I didn't even ask for it for my 12 night Transatlantic... but I will for the upcoming B2B in Australia!  Thanks for the info! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

According to the thread about the MSC ship, more ships are encountering problems now. 

 

Some folks really think this is a good time to buy?

 

Reversionary bias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, yogimax said:

Or sell!  A little reality here... just because a stock goes down does not mean it is a "good time" to buy.  Some stocks keep going down and some go bankrupt.

 

NO ONE knows the future and coronavirus is totally unpredictable.  If it subsides immediately, yes, the market and RCL will rebound.  If it gets worse, RCL will tank even further.  Sadly, our governmental leadership has not been on top of this, cutting funding for the last three years.  Now, we are going to pay the price.

 

Bottom line, don't listen to anyone on this board who tells you this is the time to buy or that they have bought.  We are not experts and even the experts can't predict the future.

 

This is the time for caution, not speculation!

 

 

That is horrible advice! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Royal has the cash, they'd be smart to do a stock buy back.  Dropping prices are definitely an opportunity if you know where to look.  I don't...that's why I have a Wealth Manager.

 

A Roulette wheel with both a zero and a double zero gives the house a 5.3% edge.  That means, over time, you will lose $5.30 for every $100 you bet.  Doesn't matter what betting strategy you use.  Good for entertainment.  Not good for making money.

Edited by bobmacliberty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Poohbl said:

That is horrible advice! 

 

Sorry you feel that way!

 

My point is very simple... namely, this board is composed of good folks.  Sadly, none of us are prophets who can predict the future.  Very few of us, if any, are as skilled in market timing as Warren Buffett.

 

If you want to buy the stock right now, use a proven mathematical concept... dollar cost averaging.  Many firms have done away with commissions on stock trading.  Find one.  Then commit a fixed dollar amount at a set time every week or month.   You buy more when the stock is low and less when it is high.  Say on the first Monday of the month you invest $100 in RCL.  You do the same on the first Monday of the next month and so on.  Of course the dollar amount is up to you.

 

As bobmacliberty correctly says roulette is a proven mathematical loser.  Dollar cost averaging is a proven mathematical winner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...