Serenity Embarkation Canceled

I am happy to say that Crystal has finally agreed to cancel and refund all monies owed for our Sydney to Rome cruise, based on their 2/26 cancellation announcement, which overpowered the 2/27 announcement to board in Sydney after all.  Until an hour ago, they were refusing to refund the Mumbai-Rome segment (which is still going as planned to date).   It has been a battle of three days trying to  cancel/refund our three (now 2) legs.  Very disappointed with Crystal wishy-washy 2/24-27 statements of policy.  We were on the verge of being penalized for cancellation/NO SHOW in Mumbai-Rome, since that leg is still "intact".

We are now promised our full refund of fare paid, 25% FCC & $500 pp reimbursement for all the airline changes we have made (originally we were booked Singapore to Rome -  the final two legs of the WC -  we added Sydney to wherever, to avoid Singapore, giving them a 3rd leg of revenue on 2/24).  Anyone in this same "boat", work with your TA to make sure you get your due diligence and not let Crystal sneak on not allowing you to cancel that Mumbai to Rome leg.  WHEW!

10 minutes ago, Olene said:

I am happy to say that Crystal has finally agreed to cancel and refund all monies owed for our Sydney to Rome cruise, based on their 2/26 cancellation announcement, which overpowered the 2/27 announcement to board in Sydney after all.  Until an hour ago, they were refusing to refund the Mumbai-Rome segment (which is still going as planned to date).   It has been a battle of three days trying to  cancel/refund our three (now 2) legs.  Very disappointed with Crystal wishy-washy 2/24-27 statements of policy.  We were on the verge of being penalized for cancellation/NO SHOW in Mumbai-Rome, since that leg is still "intact".

We are now promised our full refund of fare paid, 25% FCC & $500 pp reimbursement for all the airline changes we have made (originally we were booked Singapore to Rome -  the final two legs of the WC -  we added Sydney to wherever, to avoid Singapore, giving them a 3rd leg of revenue on 2/24).  Anyone in this same "boat", work with your TA to make sure you get your due diligence and not let Crystal sneak on not allowing you to cancel that Mumbai to Rome leg.  WHEW!

Congratulations!  Did you fall under the new restrictions on the Mumbai-Rome segment?

Crystal Ocean Cruises

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

February 28, 2020

Dear Mr. Ross Rodgers,

As you know, Crystal has been monitoring the evolving situation as it relates to COVID-19 and we continue to work closely with public health professionals around the world on the latest developments as this is a rapidly evolving situation.

Israeli health authorities recently notified us that they have put in place new restrictions for guests traveling to the country. As a result, we will no longer be able to board guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in Thailand, South Korea, Singapore, and/or Japan within 14 days before embarkation. This is in addition to the same restrictions for those who have traveled from, visited or transited via China, including Hong Kong and Macau.

For those guests who will not be able to sail due to these restrictions, Crystal will provide a choice of either a 100 percent refund of cruise fare paid and port charges OR a Future Cruise Credit of 125% of the base cruise fare paid and their port charges refunded. The FCC can be used on any of Crystal’s experiences including Ocean, River, Yacht and Expedition for voyages commencing on or before December 31, 2021. Guests embarking Crystal Serenity from Mumbai on April 3 - visiting Eilat, Israel 12 days later, on April 11 – must notify Crystal that they are ineligible to sail by March 7 to avoid cancellation penalties.

As a reminder, Crystal has also instituted the following additional preventive measures:

• Denying boarding to all persons who, within 14 days before embarkation, have had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19;
  • Conducting preboarding screening, including temperature checks, necessary to effectuate prevention measures and denying boarding to any person who has a confirmed temperature of 100.4 F/38 C or greater;
  • Providing initial medical support as needed to any persons exhibiting symptoms of suspected COVID-19;
  • Updated our pre-boarding health questionnaire to include questions concerning COVID-19;
  • Cancelled non-essential day visits to the ships when they are in port;
  • Activated advanced cleaning protocols for all port, land and tour operators to sanitize all terminal areas as well as vehicles transporting our guests.

We thank you for reading this important information.

On behalf of everyone at Crystal, we thank you for your understanding and patience as we navigate this unprecedented situation. We remain at your service.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I'm baffled by why people onboard could not continue to Perth.  They sold a segment from Sydney to Singapore, and once the itinerary changed the first time changed the destination to Bali.  It seems to me that Perth is just the new Bali.

BTW, Larry, are you staying on?

Roy

Hi Roy. Yes we are staying. We planned to be on the ship until April 21 and unless they shorten the cruise on us, we still plan to be here until April 21. Who knows where we will go, or where we will finally disembark. We plan to keep an open mind and deal with whatever comes up. I know from talking to various staff members that as of yesterday about 25 people on the full cruise had decided to disembark in Sydney. No idea if that number has gone up or down today, but I do know that among our circle of friends everyone is staying on.

Not sure what the issue is with allowing anyone to disembark in Perth, but it is apparently a firm decision, as Elbon found out. Not aware of any PVSA-type restrictions in Australia, but if there are, that would explain it.

I asked twice about leaving in Perth vs Sydney. Yet I can get off as an overland and hang out in Au and rejoin.

i had dinner with Marco and Isabel last night. They think 40 from WC are leaving. But that number could of changed. Plus all the others who had planned on leaving in Sydney or Singapore. We could be about 400 strong floating city . 

Still think they will adjust  dinner and show times.i just hope dinner is from like 7 to 9 on port days.else change the dress code ..gangway to dinner could happen. 

4 hours ago, ellbon said:

I asked twice about leaving in Perth vs Sydney. Yet I can get off as an overland and hang out in Au and rejoin.

i had dinner with Marco and Isabel last night. They think 40 from WC are leaving. But that number could of changed. Plus all the others who had planned on leaving in Sydney or Singapore. We could be about 400 strong floating city . 

Still think they will adjust  dinner and show times.i just hope dinner is from like 7 to 9 on port days.else change the dress code ..gangway to dinner could happen. 

I don't see any reason to change the hours at Waterside or the specialty restaurants, but I definitely think a single show time, perhaps at 9:00 or 9:30 could be a reality. Time will tell!

12 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

I definitely think a single show time, perhaps at 9:00 or 9:30 could be a reality. Time will tell!

How would that work for the 6pm diners (don’t the majority of WCers dine early?) - I can’t see them staying up late for a 9pm start

If there were to be only one shoe then maybe a show at 7.30 or 7.45pm so those who prefer to eat after the show can dine at 8.30pm - would that work better to accomodate everyone? 

I would never eat before 8. No the WC I talk to eat after the show. Never met the early birds. A 7 pm show I have a 50 percent chance of going to and then an earlier dinner. I eat on ship,and home between 8 and 9. 

I am sure for Waterside etc they could change the hours from 7 to 9. The few ports we have we sail at 6. So plenty of time for a bath and dinner.  I much rather be taking pictures at sail away than worry about a show or dinner. If thyroid close Waterside at 8 I show up at 755 place my order and go get sunset pictures.  

The show the tricky part ...mYbe 930 the answer.

Also if  they still are not boarding new guests in AU..please tell me how they can allow  the piano player to still switch in Sydney.or allow new  headliners etc.

they have flights just like guests. They could bring on germs just like guests. 

If  they  allow   This then they will lose guests who could not get on in  Au,

they lose the rep they have with playing guests and  future guests.

please do not tell me you can not bring on paying guests but can allow a piano player or shows to come on.  So far no crew member can come BACK either.

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

How would that work for the 6pm diners (don’t the majority of WCers dine early?) - I can’t see them staying up late for a 9pm start

If there were to be only one shoe then maybe a show at 7.30 or 7.45pm so those who prefer to eat after the show can dine at 8.30pm - would that work better to accomodate everyone? 

Larry

from I can tell we will have 400 or so guests and about the same in crew including the people we do not see.  They will need to cut hours somewhere as crew needs to sleep. 

At this point each guest can have one on one service .

I don't see them changing and of the dining hours.  I think the only thing that likely will change will be less Supper Club as by this next segment most people doing the full World Cruise will have gotten to the Supper Club and usually once is sufficient for most people on a World Cruise.   Not sure on the shows given open dining.

I remember sailings including some segment of World Cruise 2010 and a voyage on 2009 where overall passenger count was at around what you will likely have on this sailing in the period following the economic meltdown.  It did change the feel around the ship but making it more intimate but it was certainly a great experience.  

I think you will find you will sail with far less than 400 people and the number of World Cruisers leaving will be higher than mentioned.  I also believe yesterday's reported Coronavirus infections led to additional people deciding it is time for them to leave.   Met one  couple who falls in that bucket so like other things related to the virus the number of people staying and going is fluid even though the time to make the decision had  passed.  

I know if I was in similar situations we would stay and have a lovely time.  The key is to go with the flow in terms of itinerary and where you might end.   No one knows for sure.  Too much uncertainty with the virus.  The good news is there is lots of time between now and the end of the cruise.  At the same time it is very understandable why many made the decision to leave.

Yes and I don't want to be accused by anyone that I am wrong but I heard the same thing about regulations about sailing from Sydney to Perth.   Whether it is true or false  there is one segment and it is Sydney to Mumbai.

Keith

12 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

Congratulations!  Did you fall under the new restrictions on the Mumbai-Rome segment?

Crystal Ocean Cruises

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

February 28, 2020

Dear Mr. Ross Rodgers,

As you know, Crystal has been monitoring the evolving situation as it relates to COVID-19 and we continue to work closely with public health professionals around the world on the latest developments as this is a rapidly evolving situation.

Israeli health authorities recently notified us that they have put in place new restrictions for guests traveling to the country. As a result, we will no longer be able to board guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in Thailand, South Korea, Singapore, and/or Japan within 14 days before embarkation. This is in addition to the same restrictions for those who have traveled from, visited or transited via China, including Hong Kong and Macau.

For those guests who will not be able to sail due to these restrictions, Crystal will provide a choice of either a 100 percent refund of cruise fare paid and port charges OR a Future Cruise Credit of 125% of the base cruise fare paid and their port charges refunded. The FCC can be used on any of Crystal’s experiences including Ocean, River, Yacht and Expedition for voyages commencing on or before December 31, 2021. Guests embarking Crystal Serenity from Mumbai on April 3 - visiting Eilat, Israel 12 days later, on April 11 – must notify Crystal that they are ineligible to sail by March 7 to avoid cancellation penalties.

As a reminder, Crystal has also instituted the following additional preventive measures:

• Denying boarding to all persons who, within 14 days before embarkation, have had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19;
  • Conducting preboarding screening, including temperature checks, necessary to effectuate prevention measures and denying boarding to any person who has a confirmed temperature of 100.4 F/38 C or greater;
  • Providing initial medical support as needed to any persons exhibiting symptoms of suspected COVID-19;
  • Updated our pre-boarding health questionnaire to include questions concerning COVID-19;
  • Cancelled non-essential day visits to the ships when they are in port;
  • Activated advanced cleaning protocols for all port, land and tour operators to sanitize all terminal areas as well as vehicles transporting our guests.

We thank you for reading this important information.

On behalf of everyone at Crystal, we thank you for your understanding and patience as we navigate this unprecedented situation. We remain at your service.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

No.  We cancelled all arrangements associated with the trip, on Thursday, then received the 4:00 pm recant that we COULD board after all.  By then, all was cancelled, so we fought hard all day yesterday to get our promised 100% refund +, rather than being left accountable for Mumbai to Rome, which, as of now, is an intact itinerary.  We would have been considered a NO SHOW and penalized monetarily for that cruise segment.  Late yesterday, Crystal finally promised us the Wednesday notification specifics. Very frustrating few days.  Still trying to get a refund on our March 15 Singapore Air non-refundable Business Class tickets......

17 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Keith, we are very glad that you and Anne Marie had a wonderful cruise and are not affected by the Coronavirus.  We wish you a great time in Sidney.

Ivi

Ivi, thank you very much.

Hopefully after Sydney we will be able to make it home without the impact from the Virus.

Best to you.

Keith

OK.

I am going to close the loop (At least on my end) about new sales of itineraries.

This is what I confirmed.

When the question was first asked (timing  is everything in life) about being able to book new voyages out of Sydney to Perth, Sydney  to Mumbai and Sydney to Rome the official word from Crystal was no.  

Early the  next morning when this issue  was mentioned again  the official word from Crystal was no.

It got reviewed by Crystal again and they decided to allow new bookings from Sydney to Mumbai and Sydney to Rome.  

At the same time those of us who were on board and initially told  by the on-board Crystal team that new bookings were not allowed were told correctly.  

Same goes for existing bookings.   When announced those holding bookings out of Sydney were told they  couldn't board.  And the same was true for those already on board who originally were supposed to go to Singapore.  They were told they needed to leave in Sydney.  This too  changed when they were given the option to stay on  until Mumbai.

Switching gears:

Robin, I think your  floating  community is going to be at least  25% less (probably more than 25%) than what you heard with more World Cruisers leaving than you first heard.  The numbers kept moving as more people decided yesterday.  

As to show times,  I am sure they will figure out what makes the most sense a few days into the next cruise and like all things continue to fine-tune this if necessary.

Keith

43 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

OK.

I am going to close the loop (At least on my end) about new sales of itineraries.

This is what I confirmed.

When the question was first asked (timing  is everything in life) about being able to book new voyages out of Sydney to Perth, Sydney  to Mumbai and Sydney to Rome the official word from Crystal was no.  

Early the  next morning when this issue  was mentioned again  the official word from Crystal was no.

It got reviewed by Crystal again and they decided to allow new bookings from Sydney to Mumbai and Sydney to Rome.  

At the same time those of us who were on board and initially told  by the on-board Crystal team that new bookings were not allowed were told correctly.  

Same goes for existing bookings.   When announced those holding bookings out of Sydney were told they  couldn't board.  And the same was true for those already on board who originally were supposed to go to Singapore.  They were told they needed to leave in Sydney.  This too  changed when they were given the option to stay on  until Mumbai.

Switching gears:

Robin, I think your  floating  community is going to be at least  25% less (probably more than 25%) than what you heard with more World Cruisers leaving than you first heard.  The numbers kept moving as more people decided yesterday.  

As to show times,  I am sure they will figure out what makes the most sense a few days into the next cruise and like all things continue to fine-tune this if necessary.

Keith

I don't know where you get your numbers from, but I heard the same, approximately 400, from the Hotel Director last evening. I would think he would have the best idea of the number. End result is it doesn't really matter, and we will see who is here Wednesday evening. After these last four sold out segments, the change will certainly be noticeable. Dennis at The Cove Bar expects to see tumbleweeds blowing across the lobby!!😁

14 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

I don't know where you get your numbers from, but I heard the same, approximately 400, from the Hotel Director last evening. I would think he would have the best idea of the number.

getting in first...

Time Will Tell

Guess we’ll all know on Wednesday...

17 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I don't know where you get your numbers from, but I heard the same, approximately 400, from the Hotel Director last evening. I would think he would have the best idea of the number. End result is it doesn't really matter, and we will see who is here Wednesday evening. After these last four sold out segments, the change will certainly be noticeable. Dennis at The Cove Bar expects to see tumbleweeds blowing across the lobby!!😁

Larry,  I believe you.  Maybe part of the difference is guest numbers versus total which would include. guests plus enrichment/entertainers  and maybe the number I was given didn't include those who are boarding.  

Look  forward to keeping up with  your posts after we leave.  Hope to run into you and Monica before we leave.

Keith

This ran on the Seabourn forum "Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus" pg 13 post 307 by rols:

"If a ship *only* calls at Australian ports and doesn't go to at least one 'foreign' port then there are tax implications on things like duty free liquor. This is why (I have read this before) the round Aussie cruises often include Bali as it's an easy stop."

If the tax rules reach to bar sales then it gets messy.

Australia does have a cabotage law equivalent to the PSVA but I found it complicated to sort out what is allowed as it involves applications and permits each time. Maybe this instance is too near and too controversial to get approval in time.

Bill

37 minutes ago, Two4Sea said:

Australia does have a cabotage law equivalent to the PSVA but I found it complicated to sort out what is allowed as it involves applications and permits each time. Maybe this instance is too near and too controversial to get approval in time.

News to me, can you post a link to it? - I’ve never heard of such a limitation and several lines run intra Australia cruises that never leave Australian waters so it’s clears possible to sail between Australian ports 

Yes there are requirements for Duty Free sales and that’s why they sometimes go to an offshore spot outside the limits - but Crystal are all inclusive for liquor so I’m not sure how that impact them except in the shops 

I don’t believe the post you quoted provides anything definitive on a requirement to stop at a foreign port in terms of passengers being allowed to sail Australian port to Australian port 

Edited by Stickman1990
31 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Sounds like an Aussie version of the arcane Jones Act in the US.

I don’t believe so as they are many intra Australia cruises run by multiple lines including the oh so popular “booze cruises to no where” - 3 days of cruising pleasure!

As it turned out I think what I posted earlier about the Floating  numbers  being 25%+ less of what was  mentioned earlier is correct only you might have to add a few more +++'s.   😀

I think it's probably still fluid.

Regardless whatever the number of guests  who remain on-board it will be an adventure.

Let's all hope the virus gets under control for everyone's sake including minimizing health issues along and minimizing the impact all of this is having on so many areas such as travel and the economy.  

Keith