Cruise Critic Community
Daniel A

Carnival Stock Price Dropping

17 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Once you buy, you don't lose money unless you sell. How long do you wait "to avoid losing money"? If you are trying to buy at the bottom, good luck with that.

Assuming that CCL doesn't go through restructuring.

7 minutes ago, Farts said:

Assuming that CCL doesn't go through restructuring.

10% shave ON THE OPENING.  

Remember, it is just money.   We will get through this.   Let's face whatever comes together, with bravery, compassion, and a smile in our heart.   Virtual hugs to everybody!

14 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

Market hit first circuit breaker.

wow. do the stoppages typically last all day?

40 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Once you buy, you don't lose money unless you sell. How long do you wait "to avoid losing money"? If you are trying to buy at the bottom, good luck with that.

Right! So if I bought 10 days ago at $35 and it's $25 today then I didn't lose $1,000?  Ok.

4 minutes ago, Farts said:

wow. do the stoppages typically last all day?

7% drop-15 minute stoppage

13% drop-15 minute stoppage

20% drop stop for the remainder of the day.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thanks!

It is currently -6%. if it hits -7% again, does it go for another 15 minute stoppage? Or is the next stoppage at 13%?

Edited by Farts

17 minutes ago, Rigby the Dog said:

Right! So if I bought 10 days ago at $35 and it's $25 today then I didn't lose $1,000?  Ok.

You do it you sell it today, but that was the point.  It's only a loss if you sell it today at $25 and you paid $35.  Tomorrow, it could be a $40, and you would have made $500 (although not likely). 

13 minutes ago, Farts said:

Thanks!

It is currently -6%. if it hits -7% again, does it go for another 15 minute stoppage? Or is the next stoppage at 13%?

It wont stop again until it hits 13%

18 minutes ago, Farts said:

Thanks!

13%

11 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

You do it you sell it today, but that was the point.  It's only a loss if you sell it today at $25 and you paid $35.  Tomorrow, it could be a $40, and you would have made $500 (although not likely). 

People who don't understand this simple fact are the ones who should be out of the stock market totally 🙂

9 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

$22.63 a share now

Last week the CCL UK share price had been falling quicker than the US, now they're almost on par.

UK price currently down 16% at 16.60 GBP = 21.66 USD

Ask Yourself this question. Why did you buy or why are you considering buying Carnival stock? For several years as the stock had very little movement the reason to purchase should have been based on a combination of dividend return and OBC when on a cruise. Now as the stock has drastically dropped those same two factors are still in play. The dividend could possibly remain the same or in most stock situations drop. One thing that will not drop soon will be the OBC. It is actually possible that it might increase as Carnival uses it as an incentive to both buy stock and cruise. Persons who just started cruising more than once a year and in particular those that go on 14 or more day cruises can experience a quick return of their investment. Just one a half years ago the price was at $60 a share, right now it is at $22.73 and fluctuating. History says that the stock will go back up it is just how long is a mystery. The other factor that will help the cruise industry lower costs is the dramatic decrease in fuel prices. The industry does not purchase from the pump it buys contracts for a stable price. Bottom line is right now you are better off either not worrying about it or buying. The gamble is how much lower will it go?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

13%

I’m so glad,  that at the suggestion of my broker, I shorted the stock three weeks ago.  👍

Also, bought more gold bars.👍

Revised my “good until cancel” buy order from $18 to $11.  😳

Broker still suggested CCL annual dividend is at risk of being reduced or discontinued entirely.

My broker thought CCL OBC will still be offered as an incentive to cruise on CCL.  
Good luck to all of you that are in for the wild ride down.  Maybe you should by more CCL to dollar average your cost?  Hopefully you will live long enough to realize your stock recovering to what you paid for it.  

Edited by Justalone

39 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

$22.63 a share now

Yep, just checked myself. I've been wanting to buy CCL stock for years and am looking to see if it gets lower before purchasing. 

36 minutes ago, akeasley said:

Yep, just checked myself. I've been wanting to buy CCL stock for years and am looking to see if it gets lower before purchasing. 

Don't blink!!

32 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The price has not been this low since 2008

Yep. I hate to say it but this is not the bottom. We are in at $45. Cost averaging only works if the stock rises again.

buy at $10 , then see how it comes out of bankruptcy .   (  just kidding , don't buy it )

Just remember if a company has to reorganize the common shareholders are usually the first ones to get wiped out.. 

Just now, FrankNJ said:

buy at $10 , then see how it comes out of bankruptcy .   (  just kidding , don't buy it )

I am concerned about bankruptcy.

Is there anyway to buy the debt that CCL has? I have never done that before and would appreciate any insight.

Just now, Kenswing said:

Just remember if a company has to reorganize the common shareholders are usually the first ones to get wiped out.. 

Exactly.  If a company reorganizes because they cannot pay their debts, stockholders will be below the debt holders and will get nothing.  A new stock will be issued and the old stock will be wiped out.