Please advise - opportunity to Queens Grill - should we?

bodsfanclub

Im a seasoned Cunarder, hubby first time cruiser. We have a balcony booked on 22 night QM2 cruise this summer. We are blessed with some good fortune and I am debating upgrading us to a Q5 still available mid ships on Deck 9. 

Ive only cruised in Britannia before now. The cost of the upgrade is v significant but it's doable for us and it would be a splurge we probably wouldn't repeat again. The question is Should I? Ive always had wonderful cruises in Britannia, but then never had the opportunity before to consider let alone do Queens Grill. Now I have, I am debating the pros and cons. I would hope it would be fantastic, but I've read some disappointing reviews on here so I am a little trepidatous. Please can you advise?

Specifically - 

Will the butler unpack and pack for us?

Will he arrange a stateroom party for us - presumably the cost will be the drinks I request?

How much difference is there between Britannia restaurant food and the Queens Grill?

Will we be made to feel special?

Are the rooms as lovely as they look?

We are ordinary folk - work in retail and run our own business - will we feel at ease in this environment?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated?

I should go for it.

I can't think of anything worse than someone unpacking for me, so have never asked, but I'm sure they will, if you are prepared to wait awhile, as they may have lots to do on embarkation day..

Yes, they will do a party.

Food is very nice. Much wider choice at dinner through alc and special orders, some extra things at breakfast, lunch the same, unless you prearrange something different.

Rooms are lovely, and you will certainly feel at ease. I don't know about feeling special. I'm not sure a cabin grade could do that for me.

Go on, go for it. But be warned, we went for QG in 1997 because it was the holiday of a lifetime, and have been broke ever since.

4 hours ago, bodsfanclub said:

Im a seasoned Cunarder, hubby first time cruiser. We have a balcony booked on 22 night QM2 cruise this summer. We are blessed with some good fortune and I am debating upgrading us to a Q5 still available mid ships on Deck 9. 

Ive only cruised in Britannia before now. The cost of the upgrade is v significant but it's doable for us and it would be a splurge we probably wouldn't repeat again. The question is Should I? Ive always had wonderful cruises in Britannia, but then never had the opportunity before to consider let alone do Queens Grill. Now I have, I am debating the pros and cons. I would hope it would be fantastic, but I've read some disappointing reviews on here so I am a little trepidatous. Please can you advise?

Specifically - 

Will he arrange a stateroom party for us - presumably the cost will be the drinks I request?

How much difference is there between Britannia restaurant food and the Queens Grill?

We are ordinary folk - work in retail and run our own business - will we feel at ease in this environment?

Hi bodsfanclub,

Sounds like you would like to experience a cruise of a lifetime and if you feel comfortable do so if you won't feel out of place.

We will be sailing on the 6/29 NE/Canada in the Club Britannia Class and have for the last 3-4 sailings love it. The main attraction is the open seating time in the Club Britannia Dining Room for Dining. And the same table for the entire sailing for all three meals. An extra Al Carte Menu added beside the regular Menu giving us a taste of a Pre Grill experience and we loved it. Flambe table was always available for special dishes courtesy of our Maitre'D.

We would like to one day sail in Princess Grill or higher and hope the Upgrade Fairy would surprise us. But after experiencing the Queen Grill on the QE2 we are happy at this time experiencing the grade we have been booking.

Of course, it's your choice and know you will make the right move in due time......Enjoy!

Edited by BklynBoy8

I say that if you can afford it, have fun and splurge!  You will not feel out of place;  Queen's Grill is not full of snobs.  Your stateroom will be lovely and large, and you will be inclined to spend a lot of time there.  But you should also venture forth and enjoy the Grills Lounge, which is very pretty and has great coffee in the late mornings, when it is almost empty!  Anytime dining is a big plus for us.  Expanded menu and the opportunity to order off menu (within reason) can be attractive.   You will have a concierge who can be very helpful and will allow you to avoid the lines and attitudes at Guest Services.  IMHO the butler's services are over-sold, although some of the butlers are quite expert, some not so much.  Have fun, life is short, enjoy every minute!  BTW, we find Princess Grill to be a nice compromise, larger stateroom, anytime dining, access to the Grills Lounge and Concierge, but at a lower price.

• Like 1

If you are not giving up anything else you really want to do go for. Logic might say no , but everyone should indulge  themselves now and again. You can't take it with you. But like turning left on a plane it can become habit forming.

If you decide yes, look at all the posts about QG on this forum, do your research so you don't miss out. We were on a table coming here (Southampton to Capetown) and our table companions didn't  know that if you don't like anything on the menu , or there is something you love,  just ask in the morning and they'll  do it for you. This applies not only to dinner but for example to the evening canapes, my wife likes strawberries dipped in chocolate with her evening bubbly, no problem. They just need adequate notice. 

This forum  was very helpful to me the first time I went on Cunard QG. You pay a lot more for QG, the posts on this forum will help you to get full benefit.

PS we've never had the butler unpack, we like to do it our way, and know were everything is.

More specifically answers to some of the Ops questions not answered.

Everyone will feel at home in QG, absolutely no snobbishness to be seen. 

If you organise a party then, your butler will for example bring a extra bottle or two of the inclusive prosecco, which you will sign for over the next few days.

Agree that the concierge service is pleasanter than the purser's desk, in my opinion; and that the Grills Lounge is lovely.  Both might give you some of that feeling of being on a cruise in the days when it was a grander experience. 

We are going on the June trip to Boston on the QM. We had a princess grill room at the very front on deck ten. We had the opportunity to move to a midship queens grill room on deck nine for very little additional cost so we took it. With the original room we had included drinks, tips and some OBC which went away with the change because of the discounted price. Problem here is the Cunard consultant didn't sat anything about it. My message here is read the fine print!!! also the new fare was 100% non-refundable from day one. I am sure it will be a great trip, our last in the QG on the QE2 was wonderful however if I knew all the terms and changers before I said yes I probley would of stayed put.

Well do it! I cannot afford Grills, but I have crossed and cruised in Club and I enjoy that very much. I was crossed once in Queen’s Grill and once in Princess Grill on QE2 (Oh Long Ago!); I was ONCE upgraded to Princess Grill on QM2-it was wonderful- I had more drawer-space and closet space than I had clothes🤣-the food and service were great and the Grills Lounge was excellent -with special concerts. So do it! 😊

We felt totally spoilt when we went QG on the QE two years ago! Lovely stateroom. So nice to have the coffee machine and drinks etc.Separate but connecting door from toilet area to the shower and tub. Loads of wardrobe space. Sofa, armchairs and coffee table area. Big balcony. I had no idea why I’d need a butler. Who knew! He was so helpful! Nice restaurant and lounge. Plenty of room on the sun deck. Well even my husband was impressed so fingers crossed that we make it to our next cruise in QG on the QV in May! Go for it! Lol! Whatever you decide - have a great trip!

If I had the money, I would upgrade on my upcoming trip. But single occupancy means I will have to wait for the lotto win to do that... 😂

I have sailed in QG once, on a short 2 night trip, pre-refit, and it was lovely. I had a great time. We had a little gathering in our suite for a friends birthday and the Butler was more than happy to sort it out for us. Food was great, and we had a lovely time. 

If you have the inclination, do it... 

On 2/27/2020 at 1:31 PM, bodsfanclub said:

Specifically - 

The answer to all your questions is yes. Go for it. Yes if you give a party the drinks will be on you but your Butler will assist and serve chips(Crisps)  and nuts. Additional food offerings can be arranged. You will be fine, and you will find your fellow guests enjoyable. 

You have received much excellent advice, so I need not repeat it.

We have been in Queen's Grill twice, both times an upgrade from Princess.  On both crossings our large table had pleasant people who enjoy a laugh. We have never laughed so much as we did on our first QG crossing. Of course we weren't a rowdy bunch, but it was a memorable voyage.

As we drink moderately, both times we hosted a pre-dinner reception for our table-mates to help us make sure the two litre bottles were not wasted. The butler provided trays of fruit, cheese and other snacks without us asking for it.

On other threads some people have said that once you have travelled in the Grills you won't be able to go back to Britannia. Those of us of modest means know this is not true. Being realistic, we knew we wouldn't always be travelling in QG or PG. Our last several voyages have been in Britannia and we have enjoyed them thoroughly. (Going back to economy on aeroplanes when you have travelled a few times in Business or First is another matter.)

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 2:31 PM, bodsfanclub said:

I

Specifically - 

Will the butler unpack and pack for us? YES -- JUST ASK

Will he arrange a stateroom party for us - presumably the cost will be the drinks I request? HE WILL NOT ONLY ARRANGE THE PARTY, HE WILL ADD SNACKS AND MIGHT EVEN BE BARTENDER

How much difference is there between Britannia restaurant food and the Queens Grill? THE MENUES ARE QUITE SIMILAR. BUT IN QG, YOU CAN ORDER ANYTHING YOU WANT AND HEY'LL PREPARE IT FOR YOU. I HAD CAVIAR EVERY NIGHT. 

Will we be made to feel special? LIKE ROYALTY

Are the rooms as lovely as they look? NO. THEY ARE MUCH LARGER, BUT FURNISHINGS ARE THE SAME QUALITY AND STYLE. I, PERSONALLY, LOVE THE EXTRA ROOM.

We are ordinary folk - work in retail and run our own business - will we feel at ease in this environment? ABSOLUTELY! ON OUR CRUISE WE HAD POLICE OFFICERS, AUTHORS, BARISTAS, TEACHERS, RETAILERS AND A RETIRED TV REPORTER (me) ALL CHATTING TOGETHER IN THE PRIVATE LOUNGE.