To cancel or not to cancel. Advice please

Postman806

Given your destination and given that you have trip insurance, I'd cancel. Resked for 6 months or a year from now.

I'd be much more comfortable with the Mexican Riviera or the Caribbean right now; you might be able to find a cabin for a spring 2020 jaunt.

If it was me I would likely cancel the March cruise or find out the last possible date for cancellation. I wouldn't do anything about the Alaska cruise right now. Last night I saw the Head of Baylor Medical say on PBS News Hour he wouldn't personally change any domestic travel plans now but he would cancel trips to Asia and/or Europe. He also offered the caveat that his recommendation might be totally different a week or 10 days from now as more continues to develop with this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rbrad3 said:

cancelled all cruises sold all cruise stock ill 6 months out also sold Disney stock 2 weeks ago 

Still have six cruises booked and just bought some more Carnival stock.  Don't really need more but the current dividend is about 8% of current price.

OP needs to do what they are comfortable with.  If you are nervous about cruising you may not enjoy the cruise.  People hack and cough on every cruise.

• Like 2

We have a March 29th cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and we are still going!!  We have been on many cruises and have never been sick!  I'm a nurse and I wash my hands all the time, out of habit.  If you think about it, the cruise lines are doing much more cleaning/disinfecting on their ships than usual and taking many more precautions - those ships are sparkling! - as these ships are their "moneymakers" and they do not want any outbreaks or negative reports on their ships.  Also, lots can happen in 4 weeks - with the end of flu season coming up, I'm hoping all the viruses will begin to calm down.  There are many other "bugs" to worry about on cruise ships, namely the norovirus, which is very contagious and not fun.  I also think that the media has everyone in panic mode about the coronavirus - the flu kills many more people every year than the coronavirus has (so far, NONE in the U.S.).  Yes, if you are immune compromised, you should be careful not only with the coronavirus outbreak but with ANY viruses or diseases which you can catch at the grocery store, pumping gas and on cruise ships!  Just wash your hands a lot and don't pick your nose!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@Postman806 I would speak to your wife's physician(s).

Firstly, don't take strangers advice when it comes to making a critical decision about your wife's health.  This issue is not really about the money, it's about the health of your wife.  Please don't lose sight of that when making your decision.  JennyB1977 is the best advice I've seen on this thread.

1 hour ago, RNCindy said:

If you think about it, the cruise lines are doing much more cleaning/disinfecting on their ships than usual and taking many more precautions - those ships are sparkling! - as these ships are their "moneymakers" and they do not want any outbreaks or negative reports on their ships. 

I disagree with this thinking especially if your wife is more susceptible than most people.  Read the thread about Noro outbreaks on Caribbean Princess' two consecutive cruises both of which had to return to port early.  I wouldn't trust them with my life.  I'd go on the Caribbean Princess or your trip to Hawaii but then I don't have a compromised immune system.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I disagree with this thinking especially if your wife is more susceptible than most people.  Read the thread about Noro outbreaks on Caribbean Princess' two consecutive cruises both of which had to return to port early.  I wouldn't trust them with my life.  I'd go on the Caribbean Princess or your trip to Hawaii but then I don't have a compromised immune system.

How do you know that someone didn't bring the norovirus on the ship with them?!?   Noro is rampant on cruise ships, in schools and on grocery carts, etc. and highly contagious, but thanks for your opinion.

As for your comment on my "sparking ships", I was pretty much speculating.  How would I know they are sparkling?  LOL!   They probably aren't but I'm really hoping they are doing all they can to keep these ships as clean as possible, but, there will always be germs, good and bad.  As a professional health care provider, I highly recommend that anyone with a compromised immune system talk with their medical professional before putting their health in jeopardy on a crowded cruise ship.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I would have thought LA to Hawaii would be pretty safe, I would not cancel, but each to their own.

The cities"may be safe" but the passengers and crew come from all over the world. When passengers start getting sick, wish they would stay in their cabins instead of sharing with all of us in the theatre at night. Coughing that goes on and not covering their mouths . That is the risks we take on any cruise anywhere.

And I take that risk a few times a year because I love cruising.

Edited by san diego sue
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 1:42 PM, JennyB1977 said:

@Postman806 I would speak to your wife's physician(s).

Finally -  a voice of reason.  Her doctor is the only one who should be consulted and I would abide with his decision.

It makes no difference what the rest of us would do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

Finally -  a voice of reason.  Her doctor is the only one who should be consulted and I would abide with his decision.

It makes no difference what the rest of us would do.

Well, at least many of us agree - consult with your Doctor! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

Well, at least many of us agree - consult with your Doctor! 

But make sure your doctor's advice makes sense in light of your plans and your health concerns. 

I have had some bad experiences that could have been avoided by judicious questioning of certain doctors' recommendations. Luck of the draw, maybe, but I no longer accept advice based solely on "Trust me, I'm the doctor here."

• Like 1

I don't think this virus is going away. Didn't they say, it's a matter of when vs if here in the US. 

Given the issue with your wife's immunity system, you should definitely confirm with her doctor about traveling via cruise.   

We have a land trip to Japan planned this month and we still aren't sure if we are going. Plus, we are not immune compromised. I don't know that I'd be worried any more about going on a cruise to Hawaii or Mexico or Caribbean. People carry viruses, and spread them. People don't always practice good hygiene, hand washing, covering coughs, etc. I wanted a plan b vacation if we don't do Japan, and DH said no way he's doing a cruise right now because he's more worried about a cruise than going to Japan.   

However, maybe it would be best to reschedule Hawaii to a later date, where you wouldn't worry about the potential health impacts to your wife. 

Good luck deciding what to do. 

46 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

But make sure your doctor's advice makes sense in light of your plans and your health concerns. 

I have had some bad experiences that could have been avoided by judicious questioning of certain doctors' recommendations. Luck of the draw, maybe, but I no longer accept advice based solely on "Trust me, I'm the doctor here."

I hope that doesn't mean ignoring what your doctor advises and instead accepting advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet.

1 hour ago, darinscruising said:

Just go...  Life is too short, enjoy yourselfs, .....just got diagnosed  with  cancer,  start chemo  a few  days  before  I get on the sky , (march 14),  I am going,  53 years old,  )...

Better take that cruise now.  Life is too short.  You never know..

Your immune system will be severely compromised since you are just starting chemo.  Take all necessary cautions when on board.  And bring at least one months supply of meds, masks, hand sanitizer, and disinfection wipes.. just in case.
Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Justalone

On 2/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, RNCindy said:

We have a March 29th cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and we are still going!!  We have been on many cruises and have never been sick!  I'm a nurse and I wash my hands all the time, out of habit.  If you think about it, the cruise lines are doing much more cleaning/disinfecting on their ships than usual and taking many more precautions - those ships are sparkling! - as these ships are their "moneymakers" and they do not want any outbreaks or negative reports on their ships.  Also, lots can happen in 4 weeks - with the end of flu season coming up, I'm hoping all the viruses will begin to calm down.  There are many other "bugs" to worry about on cruise ships, namely the norovirus, which is very contagious and not fun.  I also think that the media has everyone in panic mode about the coronavirus - the flu kills many more people every year than the coronavirus has (so far, NONE in the U.S.).  Yes, if you are immune compromised, you should be careful not only with the coronavirus outbreak but with ANY viruses or diseases which you can catch at the grocery store, pumping gas and on cruise ships!  Just wash your hands a lot and don't pick your nose!!

AMEN! So happy to see a professional say what I have been saying to people all along. Thank you for the honest opinion.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:44 PM, san diego sue said:

The cities"may be safe" but the passengers and crew come from all over the world. When passengers start getting sick, wish they would stay in their cabins instead of sharing with all of us in the theatre at night. Coughing that goes on and not covering their mouths . That is the risks we take on any cruise anywhere.

And I take that risk a few times a year because I love cruising.

Just please remember there are other reasons for coughing ,I cough sometimes with my COPD. I always cover my mouth and leave the area it is rude not to! Usually go to use a rescue inhalor but if the cough did not stop I would not return!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1