Jump to content

Coronavirus


mahamelb
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just experienced Sainsburys selective over 70's shopping hour (8am-9am) this morning.

 

Government advice is to practice social distancing with the over 70's and those with certain health conditions being especially careful.

 

We arrived at 8.05am and the store was already rammed with coffin dodgers. Many of the chilled food cabinets were empty or sparsely stocked. There was bog roll but only a  few packs left by the time we got to them. Not too much problem with meats but virtually no tea to be had. By the time we'd finished shopping there were lines of oldies with shopping trolleys rammed into most of the aisles trying to get to a check out.

 

It totally defeated the object of the government advice for what are deemed the most vulnerable. If that experience was mirrored across all Sainsburys outlets then I can predict another spike in cases due to the likelihood of transmission from asymptomatic individuals.

I think Sainsburys may have to rethink unless things settle down and a more moderate shopping pattern emerges in the coming days

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Just experienced Sainsburys selective over 70's shopping hour (8am-9am) this morning.

 

Government advice is to practice social distancing with the over 70's and those with certain health conditions being especially careful.

 

We arrived at 8.05am and the store was already rammed with coffin dodgers. Many of the chilled food cabinets were empty or sparsely stocked. There was bog roll but only a  few packs left by the time we got to them. Not too much problem with meats but virtually no tea to be had. By the time we'd finished shopping there were lines of oldies with shopping trolleys rammed into most of the aisles trying to get to a check out.

 

It totally defeated the object of the government advice for what are deemed the most vulnerable. If that experience was mirrored across all Sainsburys outlets then I can predict another spike in cases due to the likelihood of transmission from asymptomatic individuals.

I think Sainsburys may have to rethink unless things settle down and a more moderate shopping pattern emerges in the coming days

 

Sounds like they're the lucky ones.In London,in some stores,the old ones are being steamrollered by the rabble.Even in their allocated times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

On a serious note,on UK telly today, they said that no more new cases in Wuhan and people are allowed out in the streets.Also slowing down in Lombardy, although nearly 500 still died in 24 hrs.

This shows what can be done if the state can enforce extreme measures on the population. However there are probably well over a billion Chinese who have not caught the disease and have no immunity. They could keep the disease out of China if they quarantined the entire country, no one gets in, however this is impossible with borders that long.

 

I was surprised by a local BBC news report from Seaforth. Lots of people ignoring the government advice. even had another example on my walk this morning. Guy walking toward me in the middle of the pavement and I had nowhere to go, hedge one side and busy road the other. I held my breath for as long as I could as we passed. I see draconian enforcement measures happening if the idiots keep on behaving like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arlowood said:

Just experienced Sainsburys selective over 70's shopping hour (8am-9am) this morning.

 

Government advice is to practice social distancing with the over 70's and those with certain health conditions being especially careful.

 

We arrived at 8.05am and the store was already rammed with coffin dodgers. Many of the chilled food cabinets were empty or sparsely stocked. There was bog roll but only a  few packs left by the time we got to them. Not too much problem with meats but virtually no tea to be had. By the time we'd finished shopping there were lines of oldies with shopping trolleys rammed into most of the aisles trying to get to a check out.

 

It totally defeated the object of the government advice for what are deemed the most vulnerable. If that experience was mirrored across all Sainsburys outlets then I can predict another spike in cases due to the likelihood of transmission from asymptomatic individuals.

I think Sainsburys may have to rethink unless things settle down and a more moderate shopping pattern emerges in the coming days

 

No real need to use potentially offensive phrases, is there?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No real need to use potentially offensive phrases, is there?

I  agree Harry. It offended me too. There was an article in an online paper this morning about this very subject. I assume arlwood didn’t mean to be offensive but all the same, he could have been a little more diplomatic. 

Avril 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

People will hoard non perishables like toilet paper.
Do twin and triple shaving blades have any expiry date

Apart from the usual hoarding of toilet rolls, pasta, hand wash etc, I'm having trouble finding sugar. Not a grain in Asda online this morning. My grandson scoured our 2  local stores with no luck then had a brain wave. He managed to get me 3 small bags from our local Jet garage of all places!!! No toilet rolls though 😆.

Avril

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Apart from the usual hoarding of toilet rolls, pasta, hand wash etc, I'm having trouble finding sugar. Not a grain in Asda online this morning. My grandson scoured our 2  local stores with no luck then had a brain wave. He managed to get me 3 small bags from our local Jet garage of all places!!! No toilet rolls though 😆.

Avril

 

Doesn't bode well for dentists.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, drsel said:

Dentists stand the highest risk of getting infected

 

Which is why neither Frank nor myself will be going for our 6 monthly check - up in May. On that subject, our medical centre are now doing telephone appointments, diagnosing and prescribing for over 65's. Makes you feel special dun it 😉

Avril 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, drsel said:
1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:
No real need to use potentially offensive phrases, is there?

Coffin Dodgers? I never heard that one before

You haven't??  I'm surprised. It's not a particularly nice way to describe us is it?

It always makes me feel as if I shouldn't be here. 😕

Avril 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Which is why neither Frank nor myself will be going for our 6 monthly check - up in May. On that subject, our medical centre are now doing telephone appointments, diagnosing and prescribing for over 65's. Makes you feel special dun it 😉

Avril 

If the dentist did a telephone consultation I might actually get over my  dentist phobia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You haven't??  I'm surprised. It's not a particularly nice way to describe us is it?

It always makes me feel as if I shouldn't be here. 😕

Avril 

I agree. I think the way that older folks (and younger with underlying health conditions) are being described in the media at the moment is disgraceful. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

No real need to use potentially offensive phrases, is there?

No intention to be offensive - just trying to introduce some mild humour to the situation.

The term I presume you refer to has been around for a good few years and as one who falls into the category, I am not offended by it.

But then again others may be, so if you have been offended them please accept my apologies

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Which is why neither Frank nor myself will be going for our 6 monthly check - up in May. On that subject, our medical centre are now doing telephone appointments, diagnosing and prescribing for over 65's. Makes you feel special dun it 😉

Avril 

I've had to go for an emergency filling, but it is a calculated risk, being at high risk. I can see surgeries going emergency only, as I believe they already have in Scotland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which is why neither Frank nor myself will be going for our 6 monthly check - up in May. On that subject, our medical centre are now doing telephone appointments, diagnosing and prescribing for over 65's. Makes you feel special dun it [emoji6]
Avril 
Is your dental checkup free of charge and do they remind you by SMS or phone call?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If the dentist did a telephone consultation I might actually get over my  dentist phobia.

That would be interesting. Dentistry by Skype. Just follow the DIY instructions. 😆

Avril 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, drsel said:
37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:
Which is why neither Frank nor myself will be going for our 6 monthly check - up in May. On that subject, our medical centre are now doing telephone appointments, diagnosing and prescribing for over 65's. Makes you feel special dun it emoji6.png
Avril 

Is your dental checkup free of charge and do they remind you by SMS or phone call?

No, we pay for our checkups and any dental work. We get an appointment  reminder by email.

Avril 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drsel said:

also do you appreciate the reminder email or do you get the feeling that your dentist is only looking out for more business and more income?

To answer both questions. A reminder either way is fine by me. We get to an age where a gentle reminder is often appreciated,  especially after 6 months. 

I don't think my dentist is looking to up his income. My younger grandson is in college so doesn’t pay but he goes every 9 months. I am 73, with all my own teeth. I have 5 fillings and a wonderful dentist. If twice a year keeps them that way I'm happy. It isn't private it's NHS so not as expensive.

Avril

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I agree. I think the way that older folks (and younger with underlying health conditions) are being described in the media at the moment is disgraceful. 

 

I'm not sure where that is in the official media.  What I've seen is that the government and news channels are pointing out the actual facts of the increased risk to those groups, based on the actual historical data, in order to help those groups to know what advice they must follow if they want to reduce their risk.  If it was the other way around and they just said everyone will be fine and it turned out not to be the case, wouldn't that be even worse?

 

I'm sure there are a few idiots on social media saying insulting things, but I try to ignore them.

 

Also - if we take a step back and think about it for a second, almost every country in the world, including many countries that are not known for being over-caring about their citizens, has decided to deliberately crash the entire global economy in order to save the lives of (rough calculation based on the quoted data) about 8% of people who are most likely to be at this moment (though not in the past of course) the least economically productive members of society. 

 

To me that appears to show that in spite of all the bickering and so on, the vast majority of people deeply love their older family members and don't want them to die prematurely, and most world leaders know that and are not going to risk just standing back and letting it happen in order to preserve the economy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...