Coronavirus

mahamelb

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You don't reall mean that do you? Car manufacturers,  engineering firms, hospitality industry, non-food retailers etc are going to loose a fortune. 

I did at the time,  but then I wasn't looking at the bigger picture. When I'm wrong I'll admit it.😔

Avril 

49 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I was under the impression that  online shopping is a different entity altogether from the supermarket, though I stand to be corrected. My online Asda comes from a warehouse in Leeds. I know because when I contacted my local Asda supermarket about an issue with  an order they told me that they were two separate  businesses under the same umbrella. 

Avril 

Joy, I returned from my morning walk and one of my neighbours offered me half a loaf of bread so now I wont need to open the Ryvita - thanks Barbara

Concerning medications another neighbour just returned from collecting her husbands repeat prescription at the local chemist. she queued for an hour only to find they did not have all the items so she has to go back.

Good news someone got a Tesco delivery yesterday and every item was there.

Edited by davecttr

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Joy, I returned from my morning walk and one of my neighbours offered me half a loaf of bread so now I wont need to open the Ryvita - thanks Barbara

Concerning medications another neighbour just returned from collecting her husbands repeat prescription at the local chemist. she queued for an hour only to find they did not have all the items so she has to go back.

Thanks for the heads up about the medication. I need to pick ours up on Monday, if the hazmat suit's back from the cleaners😆. Best ring first though don't want a wasted journey. 

Avril 

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks for the heads up about the medication. I need to pick ours up on Monday, if the hazmat suit's back from the cleaners😆. Best ring first though don't want a wasted journey. 

Avril 

I have a repeat prescription every two months (not for anything major). I collected it a couple of weeks ago and then thought that if I have to self isolate for 12 weeks, I will run out whilst isolated. I order repeats online to collect and put in an advance order a few days ago which should really have been made in early May with a note explaining why it was so early.
No problem, I collected it a couple of days later, as others at our pharmacy have done. Maybe something people should think about doing to save worry in a few weeks. Presumably all GP practices and pharmacies will follow suit and allow this. Not sure about those who have their medication delivered but maybe worth asking the question?

45 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Mrs Kalos  has just phoned our grown up kids and informed them "No need for Mothers day cards" this year due to the covid, saying a text or phone call will mean just as much.

One of our lads text her back saying he would not be home this week. He drives a fridge 40ft wagon and has been all over the country trying to fill our shops.He sleeps out and has not been home this week but says like a lot of other drivers he has to do his bit .

My take on it is they are doing things that make a difference to others in a good way. Good on them I say .

And that goes for Barbara too, bless her 😊

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Our son in law is working from home.He phoned Currys to get another computer.The 1st recorded message he got was "sorry we have sold out of freezers of any description".Unbelievable.

Related to this and a bit of a "First World" problem but yesterday I checked up on the availability of a replacement webcam as my current one has bitten the dust. Local Currys have none in stock. Similarly Amazon is showing most of the reasonably priced models are currently unavailable.

I'm guessing the working from home edict and social distancing has led to a boom in the sale of PC's, laptops and related technology to allow people to do that and keep in touch with work, family and friends

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I have a repeat prescription every two months (not for anything major). I collected it a couple of weeks ago and then thought that if I have to self isolate for 12 weeks, I will run out whilst isolated. I order repeats online to collect and put in an advance order a few days ago which should really have been made in early May with a note explaining why it was so early.
No problem, I collected it a couple of days later, as others at our pharmacy have done. Maybe something people should think about doing to save worry in a few weeks. Presumably all GP practices and pharmacies will follow suit and allow this. Not sure about those who have their medication delivered but maybe worth asking the question?

Thanks for that. We're the same as you, every.two months. Just the usual, BP tablets, statins, pain meds. I'll give them a ring.     Just rung them now and everything is running as normal in our area at the moment. If and when there's a change they will notify us. One less worry. 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Up here we already have networks of younger relatives / neighbours shopping for the older folks in a lot of villages (systems are probably in place because we get more and worse snow than down south so it’s needed). The Church pastoral care system is also kicking in so folks that normally get a visit are getting a phone call instead and if needed shopping dropped off the on doorstep. 

The shops still seem to be pretty well stocked at present, nothing like we are seeing on the news from elsewhere. If I was not hearing how bad it was directly from the posters on here, frankly I would think the media were hyping up the shortages. Again it could be that or the fact that people keep more food in stock for bad weather so have less need to stockpile.

Now is exactly the time for people to be neighbourly like Barbara. Good on her.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Mrs Kalos  has just phoned our grown up kids and informed them "No need for Mothers day cards" this year due to the covid, saying a text or phone call will mean just as much.

One of our lads text her back saying he would not be home this week. He drives a fridge 40ft wagon and has been all over the country trying to fill our shops.He sleeps out and has not been home this week but says like a lot of other drivers he has to do his bit .

My take on it is they are doing things that make a difference to others in a good way. Good on them I say .

And that goes for Barbara too, bless her 😊

I've  given  my mobile hairdresser a bag of plain flour today. She couldn't find any at all and her 6 year old daughter won't eat her Sunday lunch without Yorkshire puddings . It's the small things that you miss when there gone.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
Amending
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Up here we already have networks of younger relatives / neighbours shopping for the older folks in a lot of villages (systems are probably in place because we get more and worse snow than down south so it’s needed). The Church pastoral care system is also kicking in so folks that normally get a visit are getting a phone call instead and if needed shopping dropped off the on doorstep. 

The shops still seem to be pretty well stocked at present, nothing like we are seeing on the news from elsewhere. If I was not hearing how bad it was directly from the posters on here, frankly I would think the media were hyping up the shortages. Again it could be that or the fact that people keep more food in stock for bad weather so have less need to stockpile.

Now is exactly the time for people to be neighbourly like Barbara. Good on her.

Scotland always seems to manage pretty much anything better than we do in England.  And has done for a very long time. Maybe not having somewhere like London and Westminster fouling everything up helps!

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've  given  my mobile hairdresser a bag of plain flour today. She couldn't find any at all and her 6 year old daughter won't eat her Sunday lunch without them. It's the small things that you miss when there gone.

Avril 

Don't forget the Yorkshire's Avril    😊😉 

Edited by kalos

A queue of over 200 over 70s at 5-30am outside Tesco waiting for it to be open at 8am as reported this morning on TV I dont think they were thinking of Westminster or the colour of their political party. I think it is just there is a percentage of people who are selfish whatever the situation be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Best to be safe, but I think you will find that there will be ways that you can still get medication even if locked down, and even if there are not people bringing it to you officially, local residents will help.

We had a leaflet through our door from a kind resident nearby who we don't know, offering to do shopping for us and who has managed to get us some milk and bread.  All 3 people in our house now have "symptoms consistent with" Covid 19 so we are all isolating for 14 days.  My wife (asthma sufferer who is on the verge of having to go to hospital if her peak flows go any lower) started to feel a bit under the weather around 13th March and got fever late on 15th.  Myself and step son started with first symptoms this morning (exactly in line with the average incubation period of covid 19).  Very kind people locally are helping others.

Of course, statistically it's actually just as likely we've got some other random flu like illness like the ones that are going round at this time of year but unless one of us gets tested we will never know for sure.

The good side of it is that this would have happened on Ventura as my wife is not the type of person who wants to cancel a holiday just because feeling a bit ill.  Wow!  Didn't really think of that until now that we would have brought it onboard if that's what it is.

Edited by Javert1969
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps its nothing more than the people of Scotland are not as selfish as some appear to be in England.

Oh we have our fair share of selfish people here as well. I don’t know what life might be like in a Scottish city but I suspect that in smaller places that people know their neighbours and would know exactly who was overbuying (and many would not stop short of saying something about it)

I just hope that people all over stop panic buying and things get back to something more civilised.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

Best to be safe, but I think you will find that there will be ways that you can still get medication even if locked down, and even if there are not people bringing it to you officially, local residents will help.

We had a leaflet through our door from a kind resident nearby who we don't know, offering to do shopping for us and who has managed to get us some milk and bread.  All 3 people in our house now have "symptoms consistent with" Covid 19 so we are all isolating for 14 days.  My wife (asthma sufferer who is on the verge of having to go to hospital if her peak flows go any lower) started to feel a bit under the weather around 13th March and got fever late on 15th.  Myself and step son started with first symptoms this morning (exactly in line with the average incubation period of covid 19).  Very kind people locally are helping others.

Of course, statistically it's actually just as likely we've got some other random flu like illness like the ones that are going round at this time of year but unless one of us gets tested we will never know for sure.

The good side of it is that this would have happened on Ventura as my wife is not the type of person who wants to cancel a holiday just because feeling a bit ill.  Wow!  Didn't really think of that until now that we would have brought it onboard if that's what it is.

I hope that you and your family get better soon. Keep an eye on those peak flows.

It’s also heartening to hear that your neighbours are helping out. This virus will bring out the worst but also the very best in people.

58 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Related to this and a bit of a "First World" problem but yesterday I checked up on the availability of a replacement webcam as my current one has bitten the dust. Local Currys have none in stock. Similarly Amazon is showing most of the reasonably priced models are currently unavailable.

I'm guessing the working from home edict and social distancing has led to a boom in the sale of PC's, laptops and related technology to allow people to do that and keep in touch with work, family and friends

Sorry,you missed my point,I was talking about people panic buying freezers to fill up with their panic bought goodies,lol.