Grand Classica dry dock

15 minutes ago, expatcruiser88 said:

I read somewhere that they had plans to do some work on the ship late this year or early next year.

When the other cruise lines started dropping prices for 4-5 night cruises into the realm of BPCL's 2 night cruise it absolutely took some business away from the cruise line. We are all very aware that as a budget option BPCL runs on a tight margin of profit. The best way to ensure financial success throughout this difficult time for cruise lines was to remove one ship from service lowering their daily overhead considerably. 

I think it totally makes sense to pull a renovation forward when passenger count is lower than ideal due to corona virus, and have both ships back in service when the industry picks up again.

Thanks for your post.  I agree that this decision does make sense for BPCL.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your post.  I agree that this decision does make sense for BPCL.  

It does worry me somewhat as to the financial stability of the line. Part of me wonders if the decision was made because they simply would have gone under continuing as they were in this difficult climate.

I don't cruise all that often, but at least once a year I like to get away on this line! I'd hate to see that option disappear.

6 minutes ago, expatcruiser88 said:

It does worry me somewhat as to the financial stability of the line. Part of me wonders if the decision was made because they simply would have gone under continuing as they were in this difficult climate.

Don't disagree with your thinking.  I have thought the same.  If they are able to profitably operate Grand Celebration until this "storm" is over, there is good management at the helm of this Company, I think.  Their business model is attractive for those locals who can easily avail themselves of their sailings.  As one who is not a "local", it's attractive for me who visits Florida for awhile and would like something "different" for a few days.  

The one thing I would do if they could afford it is to convert Classica to run on biodiesel (might be semi easy) and or see of they can add some solar panels or wind turbines.  Now biodiesel is imperfect but is at least a nod toward sustainability.  I think Sir Richard Branson, a brilliant guy, did not consider that at least a few (young) people care about sustainability in his new cruise line. They do need a full time Bahamas tourism desk aboard - they can leverage their great relationships.  BPCL does need to carve out a clearer niche here.  

On 3/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, rkacruiser said:

And, cabins would be available for booking, if one so wished.  

The S. S. Badger that sails across Lake Michigan has a similar concept, although it is not an overnight trip.  Day or night sailings, cabins are available for booking if one wants a few hours of shut-eye.

A novel idea.  Would the "crew" want to hang out with the guests during their off duty hours?

I am unclear as to what you are proposing with this idea.  

The idea is to take a page from Spirit Airlines - where you can have a no frills ferry experience and add on extras at a cost.  I think if you have 400 empty berths each way and sell ferry tickets (both ways) it is all money.  On the ferry lines they have a 24 hour coffee shop on board.    So on a lower deck you pull out 20 cabins and make a ferry lounge with comfy lounge chairs and more bathrooms.  And you have a dining venue that accepts cash.  Remember this ship, with no balconies,  has one foot in the scrap yard so can be re-purposed.  Or the ship can go to the Bahamas ports on a circle with Palm Beach.  The low end of the cruise business is and will be crowded.   Right now you can cruise to the Bahamas or fly but there is perhaps not a great ferry option.  

13 hours ago, ew101 said:

Remember this ship, with no balconies,  has one foot in the scrap yard  

A little harsh in the ship's future, maybe.  Consider the history of the M. S. Stockholm.  She still sails after some modifications over the years and changes in ownership/charters.  Recent news is that "razor blades" may well be in her near future, however.  Neither of BPCL ships are close to that age possibility.  

She is a perfectly lovely ship.  I was trying to get down there for a trip over to Nassau. 

When the cruise industry was growing at 6%, anything that floated sailed full.  The customer demand though is heavily in balconies- but perhaps not at the entry level.    I think they need at BPCL to turn the innovation crank again - The new Bahamas resorts might be enough but an even lower priced product might work also.  Maybe they can set up/rent out a private beach even?  That might do the trick.  A Poor Man's private island.  

It's a new day and age at this time.  Business models for the major cruise lines will continue to work, I think.  I hope.  For small companies such as PBCL, the jury is clearly out.  And, I don't see that the marketplace jury will soon return.  

6 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

All those zeros at the end.

Are there really 666 Million cruise ships?

I doubt all of those zeros as well.  As the 45th President of the United States has said:  "Fake news".

8 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I do not think BPCL or any of the Major lines will go under.

What happened to Renaissance Cruises?  "Going under" has happened.  Renaissance's problems were not related to what we are experiencing in 2020.  My crystal ball is very cloudy at the moment as to what to expect in the cruising industry.  There will be survivors and, in my opinion, CCL and RCL will increase their market share.

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

I noticed both the Grand Classica and Grand Celebration are listed for sale. I wonder if BPCL is looking at maybe acquiring a couple different ships?

Where did you see that? It might be an old post. 

4 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

Where did you see that? It might be an old post. 

one of the ship broker websites....not sure how many of them are actually legit. I think QPM ships maybe?? I was browsing 4-5 different sites so not 100% sure. But u would think it be false or misleading if they were on their and not actually for sale.

I found a website that is offering the both ships. They were asking 13,000,000 for the Celebration and $15,000,000 for the Classica. I believe I heard that the breakers in Turkey will pay $9,000,000 for cruise ships. That’s not looking good for fleet of the Bahamas Paradise Cruise line. 

1 hour ago, pinkie60 said:

I found a website that is offering the both ships. They were asking 13,000,000 for the Celebration and $15,000,000 for the Classica. I believe I heard that the breakers in Turkey will pay $9,000,000 for cruise ships. That’s not looking good for fleet of the Bahamas Paradise Cruise line. 

Don't loose hope during these depressing times.  Cruise companies often list ships they would be willing to sell if the buyer wants to pay that price.  The Prinsendam is a case in point.  HAL had listed it for some time before they actually sold it.  

6 hours ago, toad455 said:

Would Carnival consider selling the Fascination to BPCL? Maybe BPCL sells off both ships and acquires a "new" one. It's one of two ships Carnival has laid-up currently.

That would be a great scenario but that would mean scrapping the Celebration and the Classica. There certainly are plenty of used cruise ships available. But you have to keep in mind that the Port of Palm Beach is small and can’t really accommodate a larger ship. 

2 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

That would be a great scenario but that would mean scrapping the Celebration and the Classica. There certainly are plenty of used cruise ships available. But you have to keep in mind that the Port of Palm Beach is small and can’t really accommodate a larger ship. 

In your opinion, what is the largest type of ship that the Port of Palm Beach could accommodate?

Just now, pinkie60 said:
16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

In your opinion, what is the largest type of ship that the Port of Palm Beach could 

I live in Palm Beach County and when the Grand Celebration came to the port there were many environmentalists complaining about the ship causing damage to the entry to the port. It is extremely shallow and they are constantly dredging the entry to Lake Worth. That is problem number one. The other problem is the length and width of the dock where the Celebration is docked. The Celebration is 755’ long and 52 tons. Her stern stick out about 50 feet from the end of the dock. If say, BPCL would purchase a fantasy class ship, their dimensions would be 855’ and 70 tons. Or even a conquest class ship whose dimensions are 952’ in length and 110 tons. Port of Palm Beach cannot accommodate those size ships due to the length of the dock and dredging it would take to accommodate that many ton ship.  BPCL could probably try to find a new ship but it would have to be the size of the Celebration or Classica. I don’t think that there are many that are in good shape and size to fit the bill.

I remember when the Captain brought it up from Miami to show it could be docked without problems. He did it and all it history. But you are so correct.  I do not see any larger vessel at all gong to that port.

The Port of Ft.Pierce is giving some thought of a cruise ship docking there. The mega yacht repair and service facility that was to go in there. Nothing has happened as per the contract. Much should have been started by now. I think they picked the wrong company to do business with. If they did get a cruise ship in there. The cost of the cruise would be more. Fort Pierce is further from the islands. Day cruises are no illegal. So small cruise ships are out for a one dayer. The kind they did have at Port of Palm Beach a few years back. Fort Pierce did have a gambling ship Very small. It was docked next to the City marina.

19 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

The Port of Ft.Pierce is giving some thought of a cruise ship docking there

I have some familiarity with the Port of Ft. Pierce having visited friends for several years who lived in Fort Pierce.  I can't envision where there would be space to provide docking facilities for a cruise ship.  

One of the charms of Fort Pierce, at least for me, is that it is off the tourist "beat".  (I realize that there are still tourists, but not like some other areas of Florida.)  Having a cruise ship make Fort Pierce its home port would change the character of the community, I would think.  Would the citizens want that to happen?  

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have some familiarity with the Port of Ft. Pierce having visited friends for several years who lived in Fort Pierce.  I can't envision where there would be space to provide docking facilities for a cruise ship.  

One of the charms of Fort Pierce, at least for me, is that it is off the tourist "beat".  (I realize that there are still tourists, but not like some other areas of Florida.)  Having a cruise ship make Fort Pierce its home port would change the character of the community, I would think.  Would the citizens want that to happen?  

In the news it was suggested by some of the citizens. I could see the port being made ready for a small cruise ship.

48 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

In the news it was suggested by some of the citizens. I could see the port being made ready for a small cruise ship.

A ship that might be considered an expedition type ship, such as the recently unfortunate Wilderness Adventurer in Alaska, yes, docking for such a sized ship could be provided in the Port of Fort Pierce.  I can envision that.  Such a vessel would add some tourist dollars to the local economy and would not have that great of an impact on the nature of the community, I think.  

A ship the size of either the BPCL ships docking in Fort Pierce?  I can't see that as even being reasonable to consider.  Other than the size of the vessel, other issues would have to be resolved:  parking, transportation to the nearest airport (which isn't close by) are the two that stand out in my thinking.