Cruise Critic Community
Jim_Iain

Celebrity Cruises - Up to 20% Savings on Flights by Celebrity

Must be your lucky day.  I just checked flights for an upcoming cruise and prices are the same  as they quoted me on Monday.

It may be a typical shell game from Celebrity -

I just checked two reservation I have and -----

Nov 7   -  SFO to SIN     Up $300 pp

Jan 4    -  SYD to SFO    Up $2,200 from my fare  YIKES

These may not be indicative of what others may find.

Same here...although it's claims "20% off" my flights are about $100 more pp than when I originally booked them 😐

Edited by Chippytoes

26 minutes ago, Chippytoes said:

Same here...although it's claims "20% off" my flights are about $100 more pp than when I originally booked them 😐

Seems like a common thread of raising fares and making people think they are getting a bargain.     I'm sure they must have a couple hidden fares at 20% off somewhere. 

I had a similar experience.  On our Alaska cruise, the flights we have are about $30 less and our TA in October from Barcelona is still over $7,000 one way in business.  I'm not paying that much for a sky suite! :classic_angry:

Edited by bob278

The flights I have booked went up 100 but they are also up on the airline sites also.  So who knows.  Never understood the 20% etc. 

59 minutes ago, Chippytoes said:

same here and we called them and told them. They didn’t have much to say. We just told them we are booking directly through the airline for cheaper.

Best to just  use google flight or Skyscanner for reduced pricing on flights 

Edited by Airbalancer

13 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

same here and we called them and told them. They didn’t have much to say. We just told them we are booking directly through the airline for cheaper.

Well, I recommend that you may want to reconsider where/how you book due to the current situation...

One of the few times where cheaper may not always be 'cheaper' in the long run.

bon voyage

I agree.  If you can find the lower fare on an airline site, Chice Air will probably match it and many of their fares are refundable (actually, you don't pay for them until final payment).  I recently did that on flights to Alaska.  We had booked and I found flights for a lot less on American's website.  Choice Air matched the fare and adjusted our invoice.  No money for flights has changed hands yet as final payment is not due until May.  The only downside to using Choice Air is that, whilce I can see our itinerary on American's website, I had to call Choice Air to get the seats I wanted.

You really can't say "Always book directly" or "Always use Choice Air" or "Always (anything else).  There are just too many variables.

54 minutes ago, bob278 said:

I agree.  If you can find the lower fare on an airline site, Chice Air will probably match it and many of their fares are refundable (actually, you don't pay for them until final payment).  I recently did that on flights to Alaska.  We had booked and I found flights for a lot less on American's website.  Choice Air matched the fare and adjusted our invoice.  No money for flights has changed hands yet as final payment is not due until May.  The only downside to using Choice Air is that, whilce I can see our itinerary on American's website, I had to call Choice Air to get the seats I wanted.

You really can't say "Always book directly" or "Always use Choice Air" or "Always (anything else).  There are just too many variables.

Maybe it's the type of seat you chose, we booked American last week and after we got the conformation number from Choice Air, we went to American's web site and chose our seats, no problem. We're in First class.

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Maybe it's the type of seat you chose, we booked American last week and after we got the conformation number from Choice Air, we went to American's web site and chose our seats, no problem. We're in First class.

So is Bob278. His beautiful bride told us last year, in no uncertain terms, "we never.....EVER....fly coach.  E V E R"!!!

Brian,

Hello, my friend.  I hope you are doing well.  We still hold out hope that you have looked at (and booked) the Constellation transatlantic in October.  We'd love to see you and raise a glass to Gary (with one "R").

Our booking is marked "Pending" on the AA website and I can see our seat assignments, but can't change them (don't need to since I took care of it with Choice Air).  On past trips, that changed to "Ticketed" about 3 days after final payment date.

5 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Best to just  use google flight or Skyscanner for reduced pricing on flights 

May be true for you in the Canada but I don't find the same for U.S. bookings.

I use Google Flights often but at least in the U.S. we can often get really good International fares through Flights by Celebrity.   

Domestically I use Google Flights and set up alerts to advise when the prices drop.  It's amazing how rates vary.   It is important that one checks the details as many of their prices are for deeply discounted fares with ZERO LUGGAGE (both carry on and checked).   The price to add can make a difference unless you have status or a credit card with free luggage.

International on the other hand can make a huge difference

In my Case I booked a non-stop United Business Class from SYD to SFO on Flights by Celebrity at for $2,300.  Cheapest on UA is $6,500 (per Google Flights).     Google currently showing cheapest fllight on China Air at  $2,769 but 39 hours (ouch) vs 13.5 hours.    The great thing is the fare is 100% refundable and only a $200 cancellation or change fee after final payment.   Also I don't need to pay for it until 90 days prior to our cruise.

Edited by Jim_Iain

The saga continues, haha...called today to change my flights as they were cheaper...and no ad that there is a "sale" going on 😲For sure the best thing about booking via Celebrity...pay later and change all you want until final payment.

9 minutes ago, Chippytoes said:

The saga continues, haha...called today to change my flights as they were cheaper...and no ad that there is a "sale" going on 😲For sure the best thing about booking via Celebrity...pay later and change all you want until final payment.

I received an email earlier today that the "UP to 20% off" deal was extended one more day. When I did a specific flight search, there was a gold-colored banner above the flights that were on sale. But in my specific situation, they were the outrageously-priced flights you'd never select, anyway. 

So it's a case-by-case basis whether anyone "feels some love" from this sale. Maybe some lucky soul out there will actually see and snag a deal. More power to them. YMMV.

We actually did quite well with the sale. We have been watching the one way fares to Venice for a cruise in October and they have been quite high for several months ( same price with Celebrity). .  With the sale, it was $200 less.  We are on the B2B TA and the agent asked where we will be traveling to from Tampa. She looked at adding those flights and it brought the overall cost down another $200 ( still can’t figure this out).  Apparently the airline considers it a print trip.  One reason we looked at Celebrity air was if for some reason the corona virus is still an issue in the fall, they will refund, etc.  Plus payment not due until final payment and refundable.  

Posted (edited)

We are too far out from our Infinity cruise next year to take advantage of this deal. We are booked on American for our VO cruise in September and airfares for that trip are almost double over what we booked last November. We booked Premium Economy at $1799pp and the same fare today is $3064pp. We fly to Venice and return from Athens. I think the airlines are raising fares to cover losses from the Corvid19 virus cancellations, the prices jumped way up in early February.

Edited by terrydtx

Posted (edited)

I have used them twice.  Very disappointed in the service from this organization.  I wanted to adjust the time of a flight- which was changed an hour by the airline, and Celebrity air wanted to charge me a change fee!  I know if I had booked via airline- they would have made the switch without any additional airline change fee.  

The only advantage is that you do not have to pay and can cancel up to the day the cruise fare is due.  Do not think I will use again.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Just to confirm. We are sailing on the Solstice in 2021 in Australia and I will probably use Choice Air. With payment now due with final cruise payment, can I book our seats at the time I book the airfare? Will book a refundable fare. 

Neil

11 minutes ago, lienf said:

Just to confirm. We are sailing on the Solstice in 2021 in Australia and I will probably use Choice Air. With payment now due with final cruise payment, can I book our seats at the time I book the airfare? Will book a refundable fare. 

Neil

I had the same question and was told by my TA that we choose the seats at time of booking. I was told we get a booking number from the airline that allows you to choose or change seats on the airline's website. We have not used X air but last year we used HAL's air for our Alaska cruise and chose seats immediately after booking. We also changed them when the airline changed equipment and the seat configuration changed. We were also able on American Airline's website to upgrade our seats to their main cabin extra for a slight fee after final payment of the cruise.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

I have used them twice.  Very disappointed in the service from this organization.  I wanted to adjust the time of a flight- which was changed an hour by the airline, and Celebrity air wanted to charge me a change fee!  I know if I had booked via airline- they would have made the switch without any additional airline change fee.  

The only advantage is that you do not have to pay and can cancel up to the day the cruise fare is due.  Do not think I will use again.

If I understand you correctly, that you could not call the airline directly to arrange this?

That is if the seats have been selected already, that may not be an issue, especially if you know which flight on the same airline you would like to transfer to?

My other question is, does this adjustment conform to minimum connecting requirements of the airline? If so, that would be the reason for a charge.

bon voyage

I was having technical issues with the web site yesterday and did not have a chance to call so I missed the 20% off sale.  Today the prices dropped by $60 a person and was less than booking direct with airline.  

20 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

If I understand you correctly, that you could not call the airline directly to arrange this?

That is if the seats have been selected already, that may not be an issue, especially if you know which flight on the same airline you would like to transfer to?

My other question is, does this adjustment conform to minimum connecting requirements of the airline? If so, that would be the reason for a charge.

bon voyage

no   Celebrity is the intermediary  Yes, you call the airline for seat changes, but not flight changes.  The fee is, according to celebrity air, owed to the airline.  However, we typically book delta directly, usually first class, and when booked directly, they have worked with us  My biggest disappointment is that we really like choice air, and the return flight time was changed too early, so we will not be eligible to use the service.  

However, I will call Delta directly today.  Maybe they will help.  According to celebrity the $200 change fee is imposed by Delta.  Plus the additional cost of the flight if it has changed