Jump to content

Oceania's current booking cancellation policy vs industry


Recommended Posts

I saw the notice below and wondering what other lines are doing too and how O compares.

 

I believe O is handling each cruise on a case-by-case basis. As per the many posts on other threads until Oceania did a blank cancellation of Asia, as did all the other lines, there was much angst over WHEN and  IF. Very hard to change flights,hotels, etc if info is too last minute.

 

I see at l;east one cruise line now has a blanket policy covering the next couple of months.  I wonder how other lines are / will be handling this too.

 

Hopefully Oceania will step up and be as decisive.

 

MSC: "all guests who are booked on Mediterranean cruises in March and April 2020 will have the possibility to postpone their cruise or change their cruise to one in a different region sailing within the next 12 months."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that anyone could consider "within the next 12 months" to be an appropriate solution.

Sure to backfire.  

Better than no solution I think

Gives confidence to those considering booking that they will not be left hanging if things are not good when their cruise comes around. This helps those currently booked. O's shrinking of the Final Payment penalty window helps those considering new cruises so a marketing angle. I am not saying that is wrong, in fact I think it is good but does not address this issue

 

What is your suggested solution?

Link to post
Share on other sites

With this policy, I hope they stay in business..Folks do not take insurance from the cruise line use another source and be sure to ask if they allow cancellation due to the virus..

Jancruz1

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

34 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

With this policy, I hope they stay in business..Folks do not take insurance from the cruise line use another source and be sure to ask if they allow cancellation due to the virus..

Jancruz1

As of now, only cancel for any reason insurance covers fear of the virus. Unless you took out insurance a montage, coverage if you get the virus while traveling is not there, it is a preexisting condition.

 

For my Windstar cruise, the deposit was only $100 so if they went out of business I wouldn't lose much if anything. My credit card protection would cover that. I only have the outbound flight booked with miles and if that cruise is cancelled I can get the miles redeposited for a fee.

 

Sure hope all this virus hysteria doesn't cause another Renaissance type bankruptcy incident in the cruise industry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Sure hope all this virus hysteria doesn't cause another Renaissance type bankruptcy incident in the cruise industry.

I know this is a CRUISE board but hopefully people are looking at the bigger picture of global damage far, far beyond one industry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Windstar policy.   It makes booking on Windstar attractive.  Oceania might consider revamping their policy.   We like Windstar and Oceania.  We Sailed on Windstar in a January. We are on Sirena soon.  Our plan was to book a future cruise while sailing. Windstar new policy could make them more attractive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amawaterways are being creative. For a limited time they now let pax with new or existing reservations buy their "protection coverage" which includes CFAR even after FP. I assume if you cancel you get a future cruise credit (like many cruise lines). It is may be like a re-booking fee the airlines have. So this is confidence building marketing, like O is trying to do with a  larger cancellation window but unlike O's current policy it is beneficial not just to try to build some new sales but for current customers (which makes them future customers)

 

The catch to this is if the CL stays in business as janceuz1 wrote. That is true really for any future cruise credit and CL "coverage"; does not incude supplier default that I know of.

 

That said, it is still better than the current nothing. Especially for those on close in cruises allows them to make a decision and cancel or forge ahead with their plans.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

 

The catch to this is if the CL stays in business as janceuz1 wrote. That is true really for any future cruise credit and CL "coverage"; does not incude supplier default that I know of.

 

That said, it is still better than the current nothing. Especially for those on close in cruises allows them to make a decision and cancel or forge ahead with their plans.

 

Just be sure you have a credit card that has coverage for companies going out of business. This would fall under travel interruption coverage. I always use a card with this kind of insurance for all my travel.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bbtondo said:

What is O's larger cancellation window policy?  I haven't read or heard anything about this from my TA.  

Hmmm. It might have been Regent and I was thinking O as part of NCLH. I can't find the notice I saw. I will dig it out later and get back. My apologies if it was Regent

Link to post
Share on other sites

cruisingxpert has posted on the "Coronavirus in Italy" specific thread that Costa is going ahead with a Mar 5 cruise/tour disembarking in Venice is going ahead. So for close in cruises at least their cancellation policy seems similar to Os

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I saw this interesting article

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/02/27/coronavirus-travel-insurance-what-covers-and-what-doesnt/4884216002/

 

I have nothing planned  in the short term  but was interesting on how some policies are  written for the virus situation

 

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting reading.

In hindsight I wish I had purchased cancel for any reason insurance instead of a standard policy for our upcoming trip.

I bet the premium paid to add Cancel For Any Reason to travel insurance policies will be going up since more people will be choosing, and be more likely to use that option with the uncertainty going on now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Hmmm. It might have been Regent and I was thinking O as part of NCLH. I can't find the notice I saw. I will dig it out later and get back. My apologies if it was Regent

 

Thanks for the info YoHoHo I appreciate it. I read somewhere that the final payment dates on some cruises have changed  now to 60 days prior to sailing.  It may have been regent (NCL).

 

 So, I paid my final payment to O end of January and am supposed to sail in the Med mostly to Italy in 2 months,  yet I'm not afforded the same choice of someone sailing months after me?  Not good Oceania.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

 

 

7 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

In hindsight I wish I had purchased cancel for any reason insurance instead of a standard policy for our upcoming trip.

 

 

We feel exactly the same.  I would cancel this minute if I could get some or most of my fare back.  We leave next week on pre-cruise travel, so we have little time to decide.  What we fear more than illness is getting stranded somewhere, or visiting port after port where nothing is open.  Yes, there are worse fates in life, but this is the one I am working through now, so please don't scold me for being shallow.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Debbers said:

 

We feel exactly the same.  I would cancel this minute if I could get some or most of my fare back.  We leave next week on pre-cruise travel, so we have little time to decide.  What we fear more than illness is getting stranded somewhere, or visiting port after port where nothing is open.  Yes, there are worse fates in life, but this is the one I am working through now, so please don't scold me for being shallow.

 

Debbers, check with your credit card travel coverage if lots of ports are cancelled. This may qualify as trip interruption. Iff the cruise were to end earlier at a different port that may also allow you to put in a claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got an email today from Viking regarding any sailings between now and April 1,2021.  In lieu of the situation regarding the Coronavirus, they are offering 24 hour cancellation with 100% refund on a voucher that can be used anytime during the next 24 months.  I have a May 1st Oceania cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona coming up that I wish Oceania would make that offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

I just got an email today from Viking regarding any sailings between now and April 1,2021.  In lieu of the situation regarding the Coronavirus, they are offering 24 hour cancellation with 100% refund on a voucher that can be used anytime during the next 24 months.

It's actually even better than that. Our Viking is not till April 29.2021 and got the letter. It has no expiration date other than currently booked cruises or cruises booked by 4/30/10

 

In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition). This temporary exception to our standard cancellation policy is applicable for all guests who currently have a reservation with Viking and for all new reservations made through April 30, 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re right Paulchili, my cruise is later in April 2021 too.  I just think Viking is awesome for doing that. We just returned from a South American cruise on the Viking Jupiter and we had a wonderful time.  While Oceania is my favorite, Viking is a very close second.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Viking, as a direct competitor to Oceania, just turned up the heat with an industry best practice during a crisis. We have a May cruise on Marina that will incur steep cancellation policies unless Oceania changes their rules. I expect they don’t have any choice now given where Viking has gone to build customer loyalty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting to hear from Oceania regarding our FIRST cruise on Oceania in the Med with heavy Italy ports the end of April.  Have heard NOTHING. A group of us are booked and we considered Viking and Oceania when making our choice.

 

Booked my FIRST cruise a few months ago with Viking for next January.  Got the email with their new policy.  Viking is a very smart company and I don't doubt that they will be gaining customers over this.

 

Have not even cruised on either line, and will book Viking in the future. Even though Viking's offer is "temporary" it is good to know that we can rely on them at this time.  

 

Oceania, if you're reading this, you are losing customers as we speak.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

Waiting to hear from Oceania regarding our FIRST cruise on Oceania in the Med with heavy Italy ports the end of April.  Have heard NOTHING. A group of us are booked and we considered Viking and Oceania when making our choice.

 

Booked my FIRST cruise a few months ago with Viking for next January.  Got the email with their new policy.  Viking is a very smart company and I don't doubt that they will be gaining customers over this.

 

Have not even cruised on either line, and will book Viking in the future. Even though Viking's offer is "temporary" it is good to know that we can rely on them at this time.  

 

Oceania, if you're reading this, you are losing customers as we speak.  

Agree!  We, too, have a May cruise with O and also considered trying Viking.   We have always loved O, but have not heard anything from them yet.

Edited by yorkiemomjn
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, workstocruise said:

I just got an email today from Viking regarding any sailings between now and April 1,2021.  In lieu of the situation regarding the Coronavirus, they are offering 24 hour cancellation with 100% refund on a voucher that can be used anytime during the next 24 months.  I have a May 1st Oceania cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona coming up that I wish Oceania would make that offer.

We are on the same May 1 cruise. A 100% refund on a voucher does not put my money back in my pocket, rather it allows them to hold on to it with the assumption and mandate that I take another cruise. We received a full refund to our credit card on the April 13 Asian tour (Oceania) that was canceled. We then contacted the credit card company and requested the credit be returned to us in the form of a check. I have every cent back in my account now. I hope I am making sense, but since we cruise infrequently Viking’s offer would not thrill me, but I realize it works for many. 

Edited by mamaclark
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...