Jump to content

Oceania's current booking cancellation policy vs industry


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, mamaclark said:

We are on the same May 1 cruise. A 100% refund on a voucher does not put my money back in my pocket, rather it allows them to hold on to it with the assumption and mandate that I take another cruise. We received a full refund to our credit card on the April 13 Asian tour (Oceania) that was canceled. We then contacted the credit card company and requested the credit be returned to us in the form of a check. I have every cent back in my account now. I hope I am making sense, but since we cruise infrequently Viking’s offer would not thrill me, but I realize it works for many. 

I agree that I want a full refund from O this close to my cruise.  I'm hoping it's cancelled.  I can't imagine my Italy port intensive cruise sailing at this point. If they change the Italy ports, the cruise is nowhere near what I booked for.   At the very least Viking is making an offer. That's a lot more than Oceania is doing so far.  My Viking cruise isn't until January.  I only have $500 deposit down,  so no big loss there.

 

So, Oceania, let's hear what you are offering for the upcoming Med cruises?  People are getting anxious of this current situation and every day that they don't hear from Oceania, is more customers lost.  Cruise lines are going to have a big loss.  When you don't communicate with your customers, your loss will be more. JMHO

 

I know that the VP is meeting this Saturday with the cruise companies in Miami.  I would hope that we will hear something after that meeting at the latest.

Edited by bbtondo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mamaclark I totally understand what you are saying.  I too would prefer a cash refund, but unless Oceania cancels the cruise I don’t see that happening.  On the other hand I would take the voucher and reschedule a cruise after all this goes away.  For me it’s better than losing my money since my insurance won’t cover Coronavirus.  I would just like the comfort of knowing on April 25 or so, we could cancel and not lose our money, which is what Viking is doing.  I’m hoping everything begins to calm down by the end of March and we can go on this cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this reply from my TA regarding my June 26 Marina Baltic cruise that I have not made the final payment on yet:

 

Oceania is extending their final payment and penalty periods. You are currently under a $250.00 per person cancellation fee.  This was due to increase to 25% on 28 March. They have moved this and the final payment due date to 11 April. As we always do, we'll bump that 11th due date to the 1st. We always build in a 10 day window for safety. 

 

I had asked her to check and see what else Oceania would do for me so I would not cancel the cruise, like an upgrade or prepaid grants or more OBC. So far, they are not willing to do anything to encourage me not to cancel. I'll see how it goes between now and April 11 as more and more people cancel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mamaclark said:

We are on the same May 1 cruise. A 100% refund on a voucher does not put my money back in my pocket, rather it allows them to hold on to it with the assumption and mandate that I take another cruise. We received a full refund to our credit card on the April 13 Asian tour (Oceania) that was canceled. We then contacted the credit card company and requested the credit be returned to us in the form of a check. I have every cent back in my account now. I hope I am making sense, but since we cruise infrequently Viking’s offer would not thrill me, but I realize it works for many. 

Different result due to different circumstances.

 

Oceania had no choice but to refund you in full. They cancelled the cruise. They were no longer supplying the product your purchased.

 

On the other hand Viking's policy allows their customers to make a decision of what is right for them, what they feel safe with doing and therefor will enjoy the experience and their Viking cruise , within  a time limit, of their choosing.

Of course there is  price to pay and that they retain the sale but you get to sail with a company you know is considering their customer's perspective.  Oceania marketing and policy is trying to encourage future sales (with discounts etc) but keep current ones in the bank. Viking is encouraging future sales and long into the future customers.

 

TAs trying to sell cruises in this environment I wonder which line they would present to clients? And in the future...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Different result due to different circumstances.

 

Oceania had no choice but to refund you in full. They cancelled the cruise. They were no longer supplying the product your purchased.

 

On the other hand Viking's policy allows their customers to make a decision of what is right for them, what they feel safe with doing and therefor will enjoy the experience and their Viking cruise , within  a time limit, of their choosing.

Of course there is  price to pay and that they retain the sale but you get to sail with a company you know is considering their customer's perspective.  Oceania marketing and policy is trying to encourage future sales (with discounts etc) but keep current ones in the bank. Viking is encouraging future sales and long into the future customers.

 

TAs trying to sell cruises in this environment I wonder which line they would present to clients? And in the future...

 

You are absolutely correct, no disagreement. I was addressing my comfort level, but I do think it is grossly unfair how some immediately accuse cruise lines, albeit Crystal, Oceania, etc., of all sorts of nefarious motives for not canceling immediately. My April 13 cruise was canceled nearly two months prior to sailing. Had I been on the Mar 4 cruise I wouldn’t have been as understanding, however, no one knew what to do at that time so I don’t fault any of them. We are looking to try Viking at a future date and they have certainly raised their stock! Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So  I wonder what would happen if all those   that have not hit FP date cancel ?

Would they still sail with only 1 couple onboard 😉

 

If the cruise lines started cancelling upcoming cruises in the short term & give refunds  but cannot survive this  situation  & go  bankrupt ?  

What if you get an FCC  in lieu of  a refund ?

What happens to your FCC   then if the cruise line no longer exists ? 

You will be at the bottom of the list of creditors

 

Now that  many Countries are denying ships  entry to their ports  will the lines survive the effects of the virus    as it keeps spreading World wide ?

I am not sure I would like  a cruise to nowhere.

 

Many ships out there & many more ordered  but  will the companies be able to stay alive  if this virus continues to spread  & they have to cease  sailing even for the short term ?

 

Food for thought

Link to post
Share on other sites

The cruise lines did the best they could as the Corona virus was spreading through China.  Now, they should have the hindsight and experience to make decisions to : reschedule what they can, change ports, and cancel.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

The cruise lines did the best they could as the Corona virus was spreading through China.  Now, they should have the hindsight and experience to make decisions to : reschedule what they can, change ports, and cancel.  

 

 

Where will they  go ?

The virus is spreading faster than they can arrange to dock in other ports

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 cruises booked on Oceania each more than 20 days. I am still within the cancel period on both but I am watching closely at what Viking and others are offering their clients while they are still clients. I will seriously consider booking elsewhere if Oceania doesn't measure up to their competitors- I expect that they should be most like Regent,Viking, and Crystal in terms of customer service!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blackfoot said:

I have 2 cruises booked on Oceania each more than 20 days. I am still within the cancel period on both but I am watching closely at what Viking and others are offering their clients while they are still clients. I will seriously consider booking elsewhere if Oceania doesn't measure up to their competitors- I expect that they should be most like Regent,Viking, and Crystal in terms of customer service!

Since you are still within the cancel period, if you cancel you can always rebook if things get better.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also are booked on Viking in a July. We got the email with their new cancellation policy. It is very reassuring.  We hope that we will sail.  We are sailing on Oceania next week. We usually are really excited as we pack.  Mixed feelings this time. Hope everything is ok. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, susiesan said:

I got this reply from my TA regarding my June 26 Marina Baltic cruise that I have not made the final payment on yet:

 

Oceania is extending their final payment and penalty periods. You are currently under a $250.00 per person cancellation fee.  This was due to increase to 25% on 28 March. They have moved this and the final payment due date to 11 April. As we always do, we'll bump that 11th due date to the 1st. We always build in a 10 day window for safety. 

 

I had asked her to check and see what else Oceania would do for me so I would not cancel the cruise, like an upgrade or prepaid grants or more OBC. So far, they are not willing to do anything to encourage me not to cancel. I'll see how it goes between now and April 11 as more and more people cancel.

Susiesan, did Oceania send this to your TA, or did she only get it because she specifically asked about a possible extension of final payment?
 

We’re have 3 European cruises with O in June and July. Final payment for the first one is March 20. I’m hoping they will allow this extension to Australian guests also, at least it would give us some breathing space, although I doubt things will have changed for the better in a couple of weeks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Susiesan, did Oceania send this to your TA, or did she only get it because she specifically asked about a possible extension of final payment?
 

We’re have 3 European cruises with O in June and July. Final payment for the first one is March 20. I’m hoping they will allow this extension to Australian guests also, at least it would give us some breathing space, although I doubt things will have changed for the better in a couple of weeks. 

I copied and pasted from the mail sent to me by my TA who inquired O what they were doing to keep people from cancelling before final payment. I don't know if those hare her words or Oceania's. I don't know if it only applies me and customers of her TA or everyone. You should have your TA make the same inquiry on your behalf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, susiesan said:

I copied and pasted from the mail sent to me by my TA who inquired O what they were doing to keep people from cancelling before final payment. I don't know if those hare her words or Oceania's. I don't know if it only applies me and customers of her TA or everyone. You should have your TA make the same inquiry on your behalf.

Thanks, I’ll do that. Maybe our TA will need to approach O first. Appreciate your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackfoot said:

I have 2 cruises booked on Oceania each more than 20 days. I am still within the cancel period on both but I am watching closely at what Viking and others are offering their clients while they are still clients. I will seriously consider booking elsewhere if Oceania doesn't measure up to their competitors- I expect that they should be most like Regent,Viking, and Crystal in terms of customer service!

Why not just cancel now ? 

then you assured of not losing your $$ or  stuck on a cruise to no where

if/when things settle down then you can book with Viking or whoever

 

You have options right now  instead of waiting and complaining

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 10:03 PM, mamaclark said:

We are on the same May 1 cruise. A 100% refund on a voucher does not put my money back in my pocket, rather it allows them to hold on to it with the assumption and mandate that I take another cruise. We received a full refund to our credit card on the April 13 Asian tour (Oceania) that was canceled. We then contacted the credit card company and requested the credit be returned to us in the form of a check. I have every cent back in my account now. I hope I am making sense, but since we cruise infrequently Viking’s offer would not thrill me, but I realize it works for many. 

If Viking cancels a cruise they are providing full refunds of all monies paid. So if you booked a Viking cruise and the company cancelled it, you get a full refund.

 

The future cruise credits are only when a passenger wishes to cancel/postpone a cruise that is not cancelled. This currently applies to all cruises currently booked and new booking up to end of April.

 

In addition, on the current World Cruise, Viking are providing significant future cruise credits due to itinerary changes that are entirely driven by factors outside the cruise line's control. We received 30% of cruise fare in future cruise credits, for missing ports that are closed and adding new ones. The other option is to disembark, Viking will arrange flights and provide a refund for the unused portion of the cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If Viking cancels a cruise they are providing full refunds of all monies paid. So if you booked a Viking cruise and the company cancelled it, you get a full refund.

 

 

I believe  Oceania is doing the  same if THEY  cancel the cruise

 

The sticky wicket is when the cruise is going ahead & people do not want to sail  on the amended itinerary or  for fear of the virus

 

Viking is not refunding the fare if you decide you do not want to sail 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today my cruise agent informed me that the 25% penalty period which was going to be raised to 50% this weekend has been extended for a month until April 6th.  Additionally, a FCC temporary policy will be announced by Oceania which is very similar to that just announced by sister company Regent.  Here is the Regent announcement:

 

"Effective immediately, Regent Seven Seas Cruises is providing you greater confidence with Regent Reassurance. For all voyages beginning April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, you can now cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to a new booking within one year on any 2020 or 2021 Regent voyage.

Regent Reassurance begins today and applies to all existing bookings plus new bookings made by April 30, 2020, on all voyages from April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020."
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess have also amended their policy 

 

Temporary Cancellation Policy

Updated March 5, 2020

To assist guests' decisions regarding their upcoming cruise vacations during the evolving worldwide COVID-19 situation, Princess Cruises is temporarily making some changes to our cancellation policy for cruises departing up to May 31, 2020.

Revised Final Payment Timing

Additionally, we are amending Final Payment on cruises sailing June 1 through June 30, 2020.

What's New?

The details vary by departure date. The following applies to new and existing bookings on cruises and cruisetours in all markets globally.

Date of Departure*Benefit

April 3, 2020 or earlierCancel up to 72 hours before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees

April 4, 2020 - May 31, 2020Cancel by March 31 and receive Future Cruise Credit for 100% of cancellation fees

June 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020Final Payment moves to 60 days prior to sailing

*Date of departure is from the start date of your cruise or cruisetour, whichever is earlier. Excludes charter cruises.

Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 9 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts:

$100 USD / $150 AUD per stateroom for 3 and 4 day cruises

$150 USD / $225 AUD per stateroom for 5 day cruises

$200 USD / $300 AUD per stateroom for 6 day and longer cruises

For our guests booked on Crown Princess Mediterranean itineraries, we are finalizing some itinerary changes and a special offer that we will be sharing early next week.

The Fine Print

Future Cruise Credits (FCC) are non-refundable and may be applied to any new or existing booking not yet paid in full on a Princess Cruise departing on or before December 31, 2021.

The FCC does not have to be used on the same product that was cancelled and is non-transferable.

To ensure we cover guests who already made final payment, the revised final payment date means no cancellation fees will be assessed until 60 days prior to sailing.

Timing

FCCs will automatically be applied to each guest’s Captain Circle account after they have cancelled. FCCs will not be available instantly and may take up to 10 business days to be processed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, amusea said:

Today my cruise agent informed me that the 25% penalty period which was going to be raised to 50% this weekend has been extended for a month until April 6th.  Additionally, a FCC temporary policy will be announced by Oceania which is very similar to that just announced by sister company Regent.  Here is the Regent announcement:

 

"Effective immediately, Regent Seven Seas Cruises is providing you greater confidence with Regent Reassurance. For all voyages beginning April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, you can now cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to a new booking within one year on any 2020 or 2021 Regent voyage.

Regent Reassurance begins today and applies to all existing bookings plus new bookings made by April 30, 2020, on all voyages from April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020."
 
 

 

6 minutes ago, jo-b said:

Princess have also amended their policy 

 

Temporary Cancellation Policy

Updated March 5, 2020

To assist guests' decisions regarding their upcoming cruise vacations during the evolving worldwide COVID-19 situation, Princess Cruises is temporarily making some changes to our cancellation policy for cruises departing up to May 31, 2020.

Revised Final Payment Timing

Additionally, we are amending Final Payment on cruises sailing June 1 through June 30, 2020.

What's New?

The details vary by departure date. The following applies to new and existing bookings on cruises and cruisetours in all markets globally.

Date of Departure*Benefit

April 3, 2020 or earlier

Cancel up to 72 hours before sailing to receive Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of cancellation fees

April 4, 2020 - May 31, 2020Cancel by March 31 and receive Future Cruise Credit for 100% of cancellation fees

...

Interesting difference.

At first appears similar but Princess is doing something for those already booked and sailing this month but Regent (and maybe O if they come out with the same statement) do nothing and exclude anyone close in

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

 

Interesting difference.

At first appears similar but Princess is doing something for those already booked and sailing this month but Regent (and maybe O if they come out with the same statement) do nothing and exclude anyone close in

 

 

Exactly.

We are booked on the April 1 Sirena cruise, so If O's policy mirrors Regent's it wouldn't apply to us because we are less than 30 days from sailing.

I would much rather the policy be changed to what Princess is doing so we could get 100% FCC by canceling at least 72 hours in advance.

At this uncertain time I am nervous about taking ANY cruise for fear of getting quarantined or having a difficult time getting home.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is being reported that the Royal Caribbean Group is adopting a policy allowing cancellation up to 48 hours in advance with 100% FCC.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-caribbean-group-adopts-cruise-150000635.html

 

The "Cruise With Confidence" policy allows guests on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea to cancel up to 48 hours before a sailing. Guests will receive a full credit for their fare, usable on any future sailing of the guest's choice in 2020 or 2021. The policy applies to both new and existing cruise bookings.

"Our previous policy set earlier deadlines for guests to cancel their cruises, and that added unnecessary stress," said Richard Fain, the company's chairman and CEO. "Trying to guess a month or more in advance where areas of concern about coronavirus might be is challenging for medical experts, much less a family preparing for vacation.

"When circumstances are as fast-changing as they have been recently, it's good to know you have the option to take a rain check," Fain said. "We think putting more control in our guests' hands helps them make informed decisions about whether to keep their existing vacation plans or trade out for a more convenient time or itinerary."  

In addition to easing concerns for booked guests, Fain said the policy would also give consumers more confidence in making new bookings, knowing that they could later adjust their plans without penalty.

The policy applies to all cruises with a sailing date on or before July 31, 2020, and will be offered by the company's global brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea. Full details of the "Cruise with Confidence" policy can be found at the respective brand websites.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) is a global cruise vacation company that controls and operates four global brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara and Silversea Cruises. We are also a 50% joint venture owner of the German brand TUI Cruises and a 49% shareholder in the Spanish brand Pullmantur Cruceros. Together these brands operate a combined total of 61 ships with an additional 17 on order as of December 31, 2019. They operate diverse itineraries around the world that call on all seven continents. Additional information can be found on www.royalcaribbean.com, www.celebritycruises.com, www.azamara.com, www.silversea.com, www.tuicruises.com, www.pullmantur.es, or www.rclinvestor.com.

Edited by bbqoug
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 8:41 PM, Heidi13 said:

If Viking cancels a cruise they are providing full refunds of all monies paid. So if you booked a Viking cruise and the company cancelled it, you get a full refund.

 

The future cruise credits are only when a passenger wishes to cancel/postpone a cruise that is not cancelled. This currently applies to all cruises currently booked and new booking up to end of April.

 

In addition, on the current World Cruise, Viking are providing significant future cruise credits due to itinerary changes that are entirely driven by factors outside the cruise line's control. We received 30% of cruise fare in future cruise credits, for missing ports that are closed and adding new ones. The other option is to disembark, Viking will arrange flights and provide a refund for the unused portion of the cruise.

Oceania is providing for their current ATW cruisers - if they leave in Capetown, a refund of 50% of what they paid for their cruise for the affected portion of their cruise plus assistance with flights home and luggage home.  If they stay on board for the new amended cruise, they receive a refund of 50% of what they paid for their cruise for the affected portion of their cruise plus a FCC valued at 25% of what they paid for their cruise for the affected portion of their cruise and they have until FEB of 2021 to use their FCC plus lots of additional new benefits onboard.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...