No space for Enchantment to Dock in Costa Maya 2/28

5 minutes ago, BlueBayouAZ said:

Any idea why a Carnival ship was blocking Enchantment’s arrival at Costa Maya today? Enchantment is skipping the port and heading to overnight in Cozumel. 

How were they blocking?

We missed Costa Maya on Enchantment last summer due to winds and currents and went to Cozumel to overnight. I don’t know if it depends on the orientation of the pier you are assigned.

There was supposedly an El Norte, cool and cloudy, yesterday although at least three ships did dock then.

• Thanks 1

I agree!!  I posted on another thread.  We made it all the way to port and saw 3 ships docked.  All online resources I checked shows that Carnival was not supposed to be there.  We are headed to Cozumel, but I want to know how this happens.  I planned based on the itinary advertised.  I understand that emergencies could happen, but it’s hard to believe a ship would divert to Costa Maya for a medical emergency.  

• Thanks 1

Based on a site that tracks cruise ship routes/ports, it looks like it was the Carnival Freedom.  I found their current itinerary online and they were supposed to have a sea day today.  The site that tracks routes shows the Freedom approached Costa Maya and then turned away from the port somewhat before turning again and heading into the port.  It's an odd path to the port.  Freedom was traveling from Belize yesterday and was supposed to do 2 sea days before returning to Galveston on March 1.  Odd.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Based on a site that tracks cruise ship routes/ports, it looks like it was the Carnival Freedom.  I found their current itinerary online and they were supposed to have a sea day today.  The site that tracks routes shows the Freedom approached Costa Maya and then turned away from the port somewhat before turning again and heading into the port.  It's an odd path to the port.  Freedom was traveling from Belize yesterday and was supposed to do 2 sea days before returning to Galveston on March 1.  Odd.

Thank you for the update.  

58 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Maybe they had a medical emergency and just stayed?!?!??!

15 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Costa Maya can take 4 ships.

I wonder if that's true for ships of all sizes.  The 3 ships that appear to have docked today were the Norwegian Getaway, Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, and Carnival Freedom.  I've only seen 3 dock at one time.  Those are some big ships.

Allure docked at 10:45 UTC.  Getaway at 11:10 UTC.  Freedom at 12:50 UTC.  I believe UTC time (a universal time zone measurement) is 5 hours difference from Eastern Time in the USA.  But I'm not 100% certain of that conversion.

Freedom departed at 19:30 UTC.  Getaway at 19:36 UTC.  Allure at 22:10 UTC.

This tracking site also contradicts what I found elsewhere about the Freedom's itinerary.  It shows that it came in from Roatan and not Belize like another site I found.  So I suppose it's possible the ship's itinerary changed somewhere along the way from what I first found published.  I can't find anything with the full, current itinerary on Carnival's site.

3 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I wonder if that's true for ships of all sizes.  The 3 ships that appear to have docked today were the Norwegian Getaway, Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, and Carnival Freedom.  I've only seen 3 dock at one time.  Those are some big ships.

Allure docked at 10:45 UTC.  Getaway at 11:10 UTC.  Freedom at 12:50 UTC.  I believe UTC time (a universal time zone measurement) is 5 hours difference from Eastern Time in the USA.  But I'm not 100% certain of that conversion.

Freedom departed at 19:30 UTC.  Getaway at 19:36 UTC.  Allure at 22:10 UTC.

This tracking site also contradicts what I found elsewhere about the Freedom's itinerary.  It shows that it came in from Roatan and not Belize like another site I found.  So I suppose it's possible the ship's itinerary changed somewhere along the way from what I first found published.  I can't find anything with the full, current itinerary on Carnival's site.

Yes I am sure you are right and it depends on size. We had 4 there yesterday but two were small. 

Edited by c-leg5

28 minutes ago, DEBCAT65 said:

Ok.  So still no info as to why Carnival was in our spot in Costa Maya. But RCCL is giving a 75-100 OBC for missed port.  Someone I have contacted knows a crew member on Freedom and may have more info later.  

Some sleuthing someone did on the Freedom FB says they missed Belize due to weather, so docked in Costa Maya instead? Still doesn't explain why they got to take our spot though. 

Also, attaching the letter we received. 

20200228_202425.jpg

I had 2 cruises in a row - Rhapsody and Adventure - which couldn’t dock in Costa Maya because of strong winds and waves. Captain on Adventure was backing in and then .... out we went. We then we headed to Cozumel where Adventure was given permission to overnight, plus the day there as was scheduled. I think the crew was happy to have a port over night...we were refunded port fees for Costa Maya. But it was based on weather issues - not another ship in our spot. Wouldn’t you just love to hear the conversation between lawyers for Royal  and Carnival. 

4 minutes ago, BEENSAILING said:

I had 2 cruises in a row - Rhapsody and Adventure - which couldn’t dock in Costa Maya because of strong winds and waves. Captain on Adventure was backing in and then .... out we went. We then we headed to Cozumel where Adventure was given permission to overnight, plus the day there as was scheduled. I think the crew was happy to have a port over night...we were refunded port fees for Costa Maya. But it was based on weather issues - not another ship in our spot. Wouldn’t you just love to hear the conversation between lawyers for Royal  and Carnival. 

Or the conversation between the RC Captain and the Carnival Captain.  😉 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, BEENSAILING said:

This is exactly what we did. We were literally staring at Costa Maya, turned around and booked it to Cozumel. Docked around 7 last night and are now here until 5 tonight. 

And to add to this, many excursions in Cozumel were cancelled due to rough seas and wind.  Nobody notified us for our 10:45 meet up.  Lugged all of our scuba gear to the end of the pier to be told by tour operator that it was cancelled.  It was too late to book another excursion.  We are headed to the hot tub to take advantage of the ship being kind of empty.  

35 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Do you think Royal may have sold it to Carnival? Or maybe Carnival ship is staying longer so Royal got bumped? If Royal didn’t have a say in it, never good for future of port.

Carnival was not scheduled to be in Costa Maya at all on their itinary so I don’t think they stayed longer.  I don’t think we would have sailed past Cozumel all the way to Costa Maya just to turn around and return to Cozumel.  It seems to me that it was quite a waste of fuel if RCCL actually knew about it

Ok, so I got confirmation from an employee who has a friend who works on Carnival Freedom.  He said that Freedom was unable to tender into Belize due to wheather issues.  They were given permission to dock in Costa Maya.  This took our spot due to the size of ships in port.  They can only handle 4 ships if they are smaller.  

It was VERY disappointing to be so close to Costa Maya - only to be turned away for the reason we were given. I get medical emergencies etc- but another ship taking the spot?

And then the speed used to reach Cozumel that evening made conditions on deck not ideal for pool use/ lounging. 

13 minutes ago, BlueBayouAZ said:

It was VERY disappointing to be so close to Costa Maya - only to be turned away for the reason we were given. I get medical emergencies etc- but another ship taking the spot?

And then the speed used to reach Cozumel that evening made conditions on deck not ideal for pool use/ lounging. 

Us too.  My husband and I were planning to Scuba dive in each port.  We brought all of our own equipment and was unable to dive once.  Pretty disappointing.  But we did have a good time.  Hope you enjoyed your cruise as well.  

We did have a great time @DEBCAT65 It was our 20th Anniversary trip/first trip without kids!

I did meet multiple people really upset about not being able to catamaran snorkel on Cozumel (and not finding out until the 10:45am meet time - when it was too late to figure something else out).