Menu at the snack shack on Coco cay

16 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Get the funnel cake.  This is mandatory.  😉 

OMG, that funnel cake, I miss it so much!  I had second thoughts about walking over to Chill Grill to get some soft serve to put on top, but I couldn't get up ... it tastes great when it's hot!

6 hours ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Are the Snack Shack burgers significantly better than those on the buffet? Sure looks that way from the photos. I'll likely be assaulting the taco bar, but my niece loves a good burger, I'd like to steer her in the right direction when we're there. 

Yes, freshly grilled.  Sometimes on the buffet they are hot an fresh and sometime they have sat a bit.

YES TO FUNNEL CAKE!

We have the funnel cake first in case we are not hungry enough for the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Thanks. I have no illusions of getting her a Marietta Tavern burger, but the ones on the buffet have typically been feeble at best, unless they upgraded since the Perfect Day launch. Snack Shack burger looks far superior in photos to what I've had on CocoCay/Labadee in the past. 

One of the real plusses of the new CocoCay is the fresh and tasty food on the buffet.  You can be happy with the buffet food.  At the Snack Shack, my choice is always the chicken sandwich.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, irun5k said:

Sorry, I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I'm not finding it.  Is the food at the Snack Shack complimentary?  If not, is the cost of each item published somewhere?

The lack of prices on the menu sign would be the indicator that there is no extra charge for  that food.  😄  😄 

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Good picture.

My restaurant review:  

1. The chicken sandwich is AWESOME. If you don't like mayonnaise, like me, just ask for no mayo.  They are happy to comply.

2. The brioche bun really is better than the standard hot dog/hamburger type bun.

3. The mozzarella sticks are good.  Ask for extra marinara sauce.

4. Funnel Cake.  Funnel Cake.  Funnel Cake.  Funnel Cake.

5. If you are from Pennsylvania, you know that you must ask for extra powdered sugar on your funnel cake.  And no chocolate syrup!  😮  Blasphemy!

6. Watch out for the seagulls.  They're still there and still grabby.

Agree with all!  From TX here, and need extra powdered sugar and no chocolate syrup also. Think State Fair of TX!

All of the buffet and food venues were greatly improved with the revamp of CocoCay. 

We have been there 4 time this year and have the chance to sample all of them except the Beach Club.  Our biggest issue in the past was the amount of flying insect around the buffet.  We did not see any on these trips.

Just arrived home yesterday from our cruise.  This was our first visit to Coco Cay.  We did not eat at the buffet, only the snack shack.  We had burgers and fries and they were EXCELLENT!  The fries were hot and crispy and the burgers were fresh and juicy.  We were pleasantly surprised 🙂

I decided to take one for the team, and today I tried the Shack Burger.

It was quite tasty, but in a head-to-head battle, I would choose the chicken.

😄 

Oh, the funnel cake was better than ever! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Thanks 1

Oh, funny story about the seagulls.  We all know that they really really really want your food.

I'm on the Grandeur.  We were joined at CocoCay by the Navigator, which was full of college spring breakers.

At a nearby table, four young men sat down with their food.  One of them put down his French fries and returned to the counter for something else.  While he was gone (just steps away), a seagull  swooped down and more or less landed on his fries - I think that it grabbed a bunch and flew away - I didn't quite see that detail.

When the young man returned to the table, there was a discussion - seriously, they talked about this! - as to whether he should  get new fries or eat those.  😮😄😮

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I decided to take one for the team, and today I tried the Shack Burger.

I wish RCI would add this place to the ship. IMO it is way better than the free burgers on the ship.

4 hours ago, FlowBroTy said:

I wish RCI would add this place to the ship. IMO it is way better than the free burgers on the ship.

The burgers in the Windjammer on the Grandeur this month are much better than what I have seen on other ships.  (you know, the ones that look like large tiddlywinks)

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

When the young man returned to the table, there was a discussion - seriously, they talked about this! - as to whether he should  get new fries or eat those.  😮😄😮

What did they decide?  Inquiring minds want to know...

53 minutes ago, acpalmer said:

What did they decide?  Inquiring minds want to know...

LOL.  He didn't actually throw them out.  He took them back to the counter.  Why he thought THAT was the way to go, I don't know.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

LOL.  He didn't actually throw them out.  He took them back to the counter.  Why he thought THAT was the way to go, I don't know.

I'm just glad to hear he didn't eat them!  My guess is that he/they were new to cruising and not really thinking through that the fries were included in his already-paid cruise fair.  That's likely what he would have done at a "regular" restaurant hoping that by explaining the story they would give him another order without him having to pay again.  Just didn't consider that he could get as many orders as he wants for "free."

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 11:40 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Get the funnel cake.  This is mandatory.  😉 

Yes.I never ate it before and in 2018 tried it there even before Perfect Day was opened from the small kiosk at the end of the island. Loved it. Last year I just ordered it instead of lunch. So good!!!

On 2/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, red-dragon said:

OMG, that funnel cake, I miss it so much!  I had second thoughts about walking over to Chill Grill to get some soft serve to put on top, but I couldn't get up ... it tastes great when it's hot!

At the Snack Shake on South Beach, we received a cup of vanilla soft serve with our funnel cake! Didn't ask for it...didn't even know it was an option. It wasn't a big cup...like a mini-cup size. Still...SO GOOD.

And sorry to one and all that think it's wrong to add a sauce...we had caramel drizzle on ours and it was FAB.

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

At the Snack Shake on South Beach, we received a cup of vanilla soft serve with our funnel cake! Didn't ask for it...didn't even know it was an option. It wasn't a big cup...like a mini-cup size. Still...SO GOOD.

And sorry to one and all that think it's wrong to add a sauce...we had caramel drizzle on ours and it was FAB.

I didn't know that at all?  Thanks Anita!

Edited:  You mentioned South Beach, we stayed on the other side ... Chill Island
It was good, but I found it too plain imo.  I'm all for sauce too!  Don't tell me they had the caramel drizzle at Snack Shack too??!

Edited by red-dragon

49 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

I didn't know that at all?  Thanks Anita!

Edited:  You mentioned South Beach, we stayed on the other side ... Chill Island
It was good, but I found it too plain imo.  I'm all for sauce too!  Don't tell me they had the caramel drizzle at Snack Shack too??!

We went to CocoCay on December 1 while sailing Mariner. This was prior to South Beach and the Beach Club being open. We went to the Snack Shack that was located on the beach behind the Oasis Pool area, next to what would be the Beach Club. The funnel cake was already made, waiting to be served, and smaller than my opinion of what a funnel cake should be. Powdered sugar only and no sauce.

At the Snack Shack on South Beach in February, the funnel cake was made fresh and HOT and was bigger than the previous one...as big as it should be IMO. Enough surface area to have that crunch and enough thickness to have that soft chew. We were offered chocolate, caramel or strawberry toppings. We picked caramel (anyone who knows my DH knows he has a thing for caramel). The sauce was thick and difficult to squirt out of one of those old fashioned plastic squeeze bottles, which just meant that the dude likely had a bit of hand cramp because the thin stream of caramel drizzled all over the funnel was perfect. And the added bit of vanilla soft serve was amazing.

I share extra because I'm not sure that the product is consistent...but I sure was excited and pleased to see the improvement from December to February and hope that my February experience is the new standard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2