West Bay Beach Snorkel Photos

SG65CB

If you are thinking of going snorkeling at West Bay Beach take a look at these photos - examples of the excellent snorkeling sights you'll see.

I snorkeled right off the beach, didn't take an excursion boat. I stayed on top of the water, the photos show what you'll see just drifting along, I have a full-face mask so I can't dive down. 

These photos were taken with an Olympus TG-5 waterproof camera set in "underwater" mode, and then I adjusted brightness and contrast on my computer. 

P2190156.JPG

P2190206.JPG

P2190218.JPG

P2190237.JPG

P2190244.JPG

P2190328.JPG

• Like 2

You will want to snorkel from the south end of the beach (facing the water this will be to the far left end of the beach).

There are no boats here, maybe an occasional kayak.

There is a large rock or coral formation sticking out of the water, I went out past that rock. There were several snorkeling excursion boats out there but you can swim out there on your own. Be sure to wear a snorkel vest for safety. 

Here's a photo of the rock and the excursion boats:

P2190163.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I had a heck of a time getting out there because I kept running into areas where the coral came up almost to the surface of the water, I had to double back and find a different way. I found it was best to keep to the right. 

There are a bunch of markers out in the water, maybe these provide navigation information (if you know how these work please reply).

Here are what the markers looked like above the water and under water:

P2190194.JPG

P2190203.JPG

• Thanks 2

This map shows where  the channel though the 1st reef is directly in front of Infinity Bay Resort. Note the green flags in front of Infinity.  I believ I saw a post the otehr day which said there is a rope in the water to help guide people out. 

Screen-Shot-2016-06-15-at-4.07.36-PM-960

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guest 2000 said:

This map shows where  the channel though the 1st reef is directly in front of Infinity Bay Resort. Note the green flags in front of Infinity.  I believ I saw a post the otehr day which said there is a rope in the water to help guide people out.

That's a great map, I'll use it when I am there next time - definitely going back!

I'll have to find out more about that rope, it would be very helpful.

It wasn't a total loss, it took me longer to get out to the deeper area but I saw a lot of nice scenery while trying to find my way. I probably hit every yellow flag on that map.

Thank you for this post. We are 6 months away from sailing. We are snorkeling West Bay on a Day Pass. I love seeing corals and fish. Miss doing it from when I lived in FL. As clear as the water is there, this is going to be a blast. Now I need to start looking for gear to buy to take with us. I think I have the TG-4 and a GoPro Hero 7. Those should be enough for good photos of the reefs. I have to decide if I should get the snorkel filter for the GoPro.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Thank you for this post. We are 6 months away from sailing. We are snorkeling West Bay on a Day Pass. I love seeing corals and fish. Miss doing it from when I lived in FL. As clear as the water is there, this is going to be a blast. Now I need to start looking for gear to buy to take with us. I think I have the TG-4 and a GoPro Hero 7. Those should be enough for good photos of the reefs. I have to decide if I should get the snorkel filter for the GoPro.

I think get the snorkel filter - and when you get home post a link to your video. Post some photos too. Where else does your cruise go?

Our cruise is to CocoCay, Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya. We are just doing the free stuff at CocoCay and snorkel a bit around there. Cozumel we have a 3 reef snorkeling package that may include El Cielo if it reopens. If not, just 3 reefs. Costa Maya is just going to be a port and ship day for us. In Roatan, we are doing West Bay and not sure where to do the day pass yet. I am still looking into that.

We are going to get our own snorkel gear to take. In the end, it will be about the same as renting it at the different places, we aren't short on space, and just better off in the long run anyway.

Wow....thank you for this whole thread. Super helpful and exactly what I needed.

Did you do a Day Pass at West Bay beach, or is that just the name of the whole beach area? 

Im considering a day pass at resort, but if I can just walk along the beach, is it something that I need?

West Bay is the name of the whole of the beach. If you do not need a lounger, potties or showers no need to pay a day pass. The sand,  other than that which the resorts have claimbed,  is public and free. 

If you decide NOT to pay a day pass there are only two public acess points, one is via water taxi from West End, they will drop you anywhere you like along the beach. Or you could have your driver drop you at West Bay Mall and walk the road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club. This seems a fair choice if you have a private driver.. if not I truly believe the better choice is to sort a day pass with transport included. 

15 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

West Bay is the name of the whole of the beach. If you do not need a lounger, potties or showers no need to pay a day pass. The sand,  other than that which the resorts have claimbed,  is public and free. 

If you decide NOT to pay a day pass there are only two public acess points, one is via water taxi from West End, they will drop you anywhere you like along the beach. Or you could have your driver drop you at West Bay Mall and walk the road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club. This seems a fair choice if you have a private driver.. if not I truly believe the better choice is to sort a day pass with transport included. 

Last year we went on victor bidding tour and that included couple hours at Bananarama resort. Had a great time. We are going again next month but this time we have  arranged a day at Infinity Bay Resort which is a little down the beach from bananarama. Transportation is with them as well. You can contact this email if you want a day pass and transportation. 
activities@infinitybay.com

4 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

you could have your driver drop you at West Bay Mall and walk the road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Club

One piece of advice I have seen mentioned often - there is not a good place for taxis to hang out waiting for people who need a ride, so it is best if you have arrangements in advance to be picked up at a specific time and location. Day passes at the resorts often include round-trip transportation for this reason.

On 3/4/2020 at 4:43 PM, SG65CB said:

One piece of advice I have seen mentioned often - there is not a good place for taxis to hang out waiting for people who need a ride, so it is best if you have arrangements in advance to be picked up at a specific time and location. Day passes at the resorts often include round-trip transportation for this reason.

I agree whole heartedlly, if you take a random taxi sort out round trip cost and pay when you are back at the ship. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

From the snorkeling map picture, is that Infinity Bay Resort at the beach area where the green flag channel is? We are thinking we will be doing Infinity Bay because it has the facilities we may require. It is about $20 more in total but that is not a big deal. I just want to be close to the snorkeling and see those gorgeous reefs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 8:51 AM, bigrednole said:

Thank you. That is what I thought as well. I wanted to be sure before we finally book our beach pass. We are still in limbo on our cruise date, so I am holding off until this madness slows down.

Infiniti bay does have very nice facilities to use on a day pass.  We usually stay with Bananarama for our day pass but that was before Infintini Bay started offering them.  I might just use them next time.  We love West Bay Beach!  It is our favorite beach in the world.  We spent a week there last October and we were planning on going this September but it doesn't look like we are going. 😞 Too many variables in the world right now.  I will just have to be patient.