Samana - whale watching - review

coldweather

Outstanding!  This is a tender port. We took the ship excursion.  The boats pull right up to the ship and off you go chasing whales.

Samana is the where the Humpback whales give birth and congregate between mid-December and March.  We were there in early February 2020.

There were a variety of boat styles that we boarded from our ship.   My boat had about 40 people in it. It was low to the water.  Warning – They are not kidding.  In such a small boat on a windy day, the waves/ seas were rocking the boat.  A few passengers did get sick.  Also, when the boat speeds to get to the whales we were 100% covered in splash from the waves.  There was some water rolling around the bottom of the boat.  This is NOT an easy, gentle boat ride to watch whales in the distance. I share so you can be prepared.  Don’t bring too much stuff.  There is no room for it anyway and it will get wet.  Note – there were a few other styles of boats but we were loaded in order.  You did not get to select your boat style.

If you can handle the potential sea sickness, go for this trip.  We were only feet away from the whales.  The whales were plentiful and it was fun to watch them.  It was non stop action once we got near the whales.  I share because I have been whale watching were you spend a lot of time staring at the ocean looking for whales.  This was very different.  The whales are everywhere and active.