Jump to content

Would you cancel due to Coronavirus?


rascalchu
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Regguy said:

Fortunately I don’t have any cruises planned but if I did I can’t imagine making final payment right now.

 

The question right now for NCL is an existential one.  Those who pay attention to cruise financials will have the best sense but there is a tipping point at which the ancillary revenues for NCL require the ships to sail with a certain capacity to make it more expensive to sail than to not sail, even if not sailing involves refunds of non refundable amounts.  I don’t know if it is 80 percent full or 30 percent full but it is probably a higher number than we think given the margins in the industry.  
 

They are forced into a dangerous game of chicken right now with respect to their non refundable deposits and it is going to get ugly fast.  Once they have to start asking “have you been to Seattle” instead of “have you been to Wuhan” it is game over.  And given the high margins on the upcoming summer season from the Pacific Northwest, it is really not hard to understand the price the market is putting on the company.  These boards no doubt skew perception of what the average consumer is thinking right now because we all love cruising enough to make accounts and post here.  Take into account that cruise passengers in general — not as much on NCL but other lines — skew older and you have a real cruise industry crisis brewing.  

 

 

Great point. A further factor is the number of passengers sailing with the UBP. If ports are cancelled and sea days are added, the cost of supplying liquor to 3,000 to 4,000 passengers with nothing much else to do will go up dramatically.

 

P.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, we pulled the trigger and canceled our Med cruise, especially with the new COVID19 case in the U.S. who had just come back from Italy.  😔 NCL has relaxed its cancellation policies so we were able to cancel before 90 days out for a full refund.  3/7 would have been 90 days out for us, so we cut it pretty close! 

 

I wouldn't have canceled if I was booked on a Caribbean cruise, but since this cruise leaves out of Civitavecchia and stops at several other ports in Italy and we were going to be traveling with my elderly parents who already have health issues, we decided this was the best move for us.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Laurin612 said:

Well, we pulled the trigger and canceled our Med cruise, especially with the new COVID19 case in the U.S. who had just come back from Italy.  😔 NCL has relaxed its cancellation policies so we were able to cancel before 90 days out for a full refund.  3/7 would have been 90 days out for us, so we cut it pretty close! 

 

I wouldn't have canceled if I was booked on a Caribbean cruise, but since this cruise leaves out of Civitavecchia and stops at several other ports in Italy and we were going to be traveling with my elderly parents who already have health issues, we decided this was the best move for us.  

Good move, now monitor the prices and COVID19, if in two months things are turning rebook you will save a fortune...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like not everyone with symptoms will get tested here in Washington State per the press conference with the governor.  There’s no treatment and the best thing one can do is self quarantine if sick, practice good infection control, and stay 6 feet away from others in an attempt not to become ill.  
 

As far as canceling our sailing and airfare end of this month- still no point.  There’s no refund so why even bother.  I guess at this point that small sliver of hope is gone.  I went ahead and withdrew bid for upgrade advantage to the dos, removed the dining, beverage package and all pre pays.  Sad situation. I was really looking forward to a fun, relaxing and warm weather vacation in the Haven. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m due to sail on the Bliss March 15. I would not consider canceling, however, this cruise experience will be VERY different than any other I’ve had. I will carry disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE, stay away from crowds, the lido, pools, and gym, try to stay as far away from people as possible, no crowded elevators, probably spend more time in room... My biggest concern is trying to remember to never touch my face - the news tells you to do it but no tips on remembering. Maybe try to keep my hands in my pockets? I’m one of the 87 million uninsured - definitely don’t think this is “no big deal” like some are saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

I am cruising on the Epic 3/22/20.  I do have the insurance so will get 75% back in the event NCL cancels.  I really don't want to cancel but am wondering how far in advance would NCL notify passengers that the cruise was cancelled?  TIA

As long as they dont inform you about it while on board and in the sea lol. I heard (read in the news) that a cruiser announced while in the sea that it will go back to the port of departure due to the order from the governemnt or something. Basicly it means that getting a full insurance certificate isnt a bad idea at all. I hope that people will consider it when buying a tour. I mean Id rather lose 25% than the entire price for the cruise. I also wonder what kind of refund will be issued to the passangers whose trips were canceled in the middle of the cruise.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I just hate surprises.  Would rather know sooner rather than later.  I really wouldn't mind just staying out to sea, but I am sure that isn't going to happen.  I heard the cruiselines are meeting with the White House on Saturday, so maybe some news will be available.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

. I also wonder what kind of refund will be issued to the passangers whose trips were canceled in the middle of the cruise.. 

I think this happened on one of the Jade Asia sailings in February. You'll have to double check on these threads. It started out as a 10% refund, then increased to a 25% future cruise credit and increased again to a 50% future cruise credit after passengers involved media outlets. 

 

The cruise I am speaking about sailed for the full number of scheduled days, but missed many of the ports because the governments would not allow them to dock. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we are on a 3/22 cruise out of New Orleans.  The couple we were cruising with have called us saying they are going to cancel, but want to wait a few more days to see if NCL changes their refund policy.  They have NCL insurance and are set for 75 percent refund.  We booked through a travel agent and I am waiting to hear back from him on the procedure to cancel (if through him or through the cruiseline).  We also have cancel for any reason insurance with 75% refund.   A few thoughts of my own...

 

I imagine that there will be significant waits for any refunds as this is an unprecedented event.  Hopefully some smaller insurance companies won't be pushed into insolvency.

 

Second - I think we will see an industry wide change into cancellation policies for the foreseeable future.   In order for cruise lines to attract new bookings in the future from the wary public, they may need to offer much shorter (closer to sail date) policies.  Then after a few years, they may go back to their old ways.  Just my opinion of course.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

I’m due to sail on the Bliss March 15. I would not consider canceling, however, this cruise experience will be VERY different than any other I’ve had. I will carry disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE, stay away from crowds, the lido, pools, and gym, try to stay as far away from people as possible, no crowded elevators, probably spend more time in room... My biggest concern is trying to remember to never touch my face - the news tells you to do it but no tips on remembering. Maybe try to keep my hands in my pockets? I’m one of the 87 million uninsured - definitely don’t think this is “no big deal” like some are saying.

 

 

Good luck trying to stay away from crowds on a megaship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update-  I know everyone has been dying to know but with this new policy, we have decided to cancel the cruise and take the future cruise credit.  Good luck to everyone who still plans to go.  You got big ones.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And waiting was worth it.  Still on the fence but leaning towards a resched. That's 6.2K (ok, that's Cdn, but still a ***** locker full of money) for a future cruise. Maybe add that last few thousand next year and party in the haven.  Aaah, Haven.

 

 

image.png.7f97b0986100391bbf28c4b398611b3e.png

Edited by Aesop081
add
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, littlelulu01 said:

Sounds like not everyone with symptoms will get tested here in Washington State per the press conference with the governor.  There’s no treatment and the best thing one can do is self quarantine if sick, practice good infection control, and stay 6 feet away from others in an attempt not to become ill.  
 

As far as canceling our sailing and airfare end of this month- still no point.  There’s no refund so why even bother.  I guess at this point that small sliver of hope is gone.  I went ahead and withdrew bid for upgrade advantage to the dos, removed the dining, beverage package and all pre pays.  Sad situation. I was really looking forward to a fun, relaxing and warm weather vacation in the Haven. 

Check your email...not refund but 100% future credit!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were booked on Spirit B2B  Feb-March 2021, I was going to cancel it over the weekend (just hadn't gotten time to do it earlier). Well, NCL cancelled the cruise on Friday, and is giving deposit back (that's all we paid so far) plus 10% off a future cruise, so I guess dragging my feet paid off in this case.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Swalsh80 said:

We were booked on Spirit B2B  Feb-March 2021, I was going to cancel it over the weekend (just hadn't gotten time to do it earlier). Well, NCL cancelled the cruise on Friday, and is giving deposit back (that's all we paid so far) plus 10% off a future cruise, so I guess dragging my feet paid off in this case.

Very lucky with this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

Maybe I’ll be able to score a Haven upgrade for real cheap with all these cancellations. 

We too are hoping our upgrade bid is accepted this time on a balcony - especially since we’re going to be spending more time than ever in our cabin on this cruise! I think we have the best chance we’ve ever had this time, especially with the new cancellation policy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, bbixler18 said:

Why aren't there threads and people up in arms over norovirus?  Fearmongering anyone?  

Norovirus doesn't have a 3% fatality rate, nor is it spread through respiratory droplets. Aside from the fact they're both viruses (just like a butterfly and a rhino are both animals) the comparison couldn't be less apt. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, bbixler18 said:

Why aren't there threads and people up in arms over norovirus?  Fearmongering anyone?  

 

Can you point me towards any ships that have been quarantined for 2 weeks due to Noro?  Have there also been cruise passenger deaths associated with Noro?

I am betting a lot of people aren't particularly fearful of Corono but could ill afford to be locked down on ship and not be able to get back to a job.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless NCL cancels the cruise, we're going! We're on Joy 4/19 from LA to Vancouver.  When the new cancellation option was published I briefly considered cancelling.  But then I thought about what my vacation alternatives might be.  Theme parks? Vegas? Big city visits?  All have the same risks as a cruise, maybe more.  On a cruise we'd be with 4,000 people for a week.  Most of the other choices we'd encounter thousands od DIFFERENT people every day...so many more contacts!  Even if we do a stay-cation at home and visit museums, shopping centers and movies we'd still see lots of strangers.  So I'll take my chances with a cruise, knowing that at least these individuals have had SOME screening.  And we'll do everything we can to protect ourselves by washing our hands and watching what we touch.

By the way, went to Costco yesterday and they've repurposed all of the "free sample" ladies to go around the store wiping down and sanitizing.  Kudos to Costco for recognizing that samples might pose a danger, but above that for finding a way that these people could still earn a living.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I look at it is this:  Cruise ships are a petri dish breeding all sort of things.  Norovirus, coronavirus, any other random every day virus, the common cold.   Each time you go on a cruise, you subject yourself to the risk of catching something. You don't put yourself in the middle of thousands of people and get surprised if/when you get sick.   This is our 8th cruise and, so far, we have not gotten sick. We're sailing on the Gem out of Boston on 4/24 and are planning (as of today) to go.  It's gratifying to have some flexibility up to 48 hours before we sail to change our minds.  I don't think we will but we will take a wait and see attitude.  If the  ports begin to refuse disembarking, we'll have no choice.  I would imagine when this happens, the cruises will be cancelled anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...