Jump to content

Our Adventure on the Seas 02/23-02/29


Recommended Posts

Just got back home today from a six-day western cruise on the Adventure. There were six of us cruising together, who are veteran cruisers, but this was our first AOS cruise. I won't be mentioning any shows or meals in the MDR as we didn't do any of that. Our days were packed full with our scheduled port stops and we just didn't feel like getting dressed up or being anywhere at any specific time in the evening.


We flew in the day before and stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach, which was approximately ten minutes by cab. The hotel was clean and typical for a Sleep Inn, with the exception of poor water pressure in the shower. The pool was well-maintained, and we purchased some adult beverages at the stores nearby and sat out by the pool until dinner.


We took an Uber to The Quarterdeck restaurant, on the Dania Beach pier, which was a great location. Unfortunately it was way too windy to eat outside on the actual deck, but we had a great view of the ocean from our table inside. The menu there is American, heavy on seafood, and they offer sushi as well. Hubby and I shared lobster fritters, spinach dip and chicken tenders and returned to the hotel stuffed.





  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We took an Uber to the port Sunday morning. I'd suggest leaving your hotels around 9:15am if you're doing the same thing, as it beats the traffic trying to get into the port. We had our bags to the porters by 9:30 and joined the suite line, which was very short at that point. The doors opened to us approximately 10:00 am and the check-in process took less than fifteen minutes. We were seated in chairs in labeled groups (suites, Diamond, etc.) for approximately forty-five minutes. I didn't look at the exact time, but we were on the ship no later than 11:00 am. We got great seats at the upper deck pool bar tables and stayed there until our rooms were ready at 1:00. 


There was plenty of scenery to photograph while we were up there.






Edited by CJDepew
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We stayed in Junior Suite 1624. I'd highly recommend this stateroom. It's on the hump, one floor below Windjammer and the pool deck. We experienced no noise from above, and access to the stairs and elevators was only feet away.








  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ship...great staff who genuinely seem happy to be interacting with passengers. Not sure I could keep up the good attitude working on the ship for the duration of a contract. Sheree, our room steward, Bienhur from the Windjammer and VIP from the upper deck bar really stand out in my mind.


The pool deck was fairly crowded on our first sea day, from the splash pad all the way through the solarium. I had anticipated spending most of that day in the solarium, but to be honest, it's a little too quiet and boring. Chair hogs didn't seem to be much of an issue, which surprised me. Our last sea day was extremely windy, a high of 70, and mostly cloudy so the pool deck crowd was much more sparse. The hot tubs were in high demand that day.


Attached are some random indoor ship shots. I love to take photos, to the point of making my hubby a little nutty.









Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's some random shots of the art in the stairwells. It seems to be a very eclectic collection. The last one was in the hall outside our room. It was titled Love Handles. 😆






  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are plenty of outdoor activities on this ship. If you're bored, something's wrong. I didn't get any shots of the couple playing paddle ball, but here are some of my other favorites.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tuesday was Grand Cayman. This is one of our favorite ports to visit, even though it's a tender port. We did early tendering, which was between 7-8 am. Basically we just walked town and boarded...no lines. We rented a beach cabana at The Royal Palms Beach Club. Service was great and it was more comfortable than just chairs and an umbrella. Food was not included but I did have a burger and fries (seafood...yuck!), which were very generous in portion and tasty.


The water was comfortably warm and clear, and beautiful shades of blue, the sand soft, and the temps were in the mid 80s. What a fantastic day!







Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Awsome pics. Was excited to see my room for my april b2b. Unless of course my very min bid on an owners suite is accepted. Lol

This was our favorite stateroom by far. Plenty of space, great location. Not sure if you'll still have Sheree for a room attendant but she was fantastic. Enjoy your b2b!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wednesday's port was Costa Maya. We'd hoped to book at Maya Chan, but I was told ten months ago that the entire place was already reserved by a group. Found a hidden gem in Almaplena. It's further than MC, and the bar service isn't quite at the same level, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. I'd highly recommend spending a day there.


The first two shots were taken walking the pier, the remainder at Almaplena.









Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our day at Cozumel wasn't quite what we had hoped for. The weather was overcast, cool and winds were up to 25 mph. They even had the giant inflatables lashed down to keep them from blowing away. Didn't keep us from enjoying Mr. Sancho's, but it wasn't a typical visit. This was our third visit there and we'll continue to go each time we're in Cozumel.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to wind things up with a few shots from the Windjammer. Food is a very subjective subject. Loved breakfasts and lunch there, but have to say that I found the dinners to be very bland, even though there was a great variety.










Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

How was disembarking?

We sail April 5th




Sadly, it was almost a giant disaster. We always self disembark. That morning I found out our flight had been bumped up from 10:10am to 8:25am. We were in line by 6:20. The Compass stated self-debarkation started at 6:30. We were held until 7:40. I suspect it was Customs, taking their time getting in place, because the ship's staff was lined up and waiting with the passengers from foreign ports and those needing physical assistance. 


I can tell you that the airport is only 2.2 miles away and if you have a cab driver who is aware of your flight plight, he'll do his best to get you there. Ours did and we ran through the airport like a couple of wheezing geezers and did make our flight.


  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
  • Create New...