I took one for the team

2 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Why, are you a doctor?  OP has been diagnosed with a condition which is contagious.  To not agree to attest to that is irresponsible at best.  I would certainly ditch that doctor.

To add to my UNCLEAR comment re consulting another doctor...not doctor shopping....2nd opinions should be welcome.  Also, this was a clinic, assuming a walk in clinic, not a personal doctor.  However, I personally have never cancelled due to sickness or any other reason, so not fair of me to comment.  I agree with your post re the cruiser having a contagious condition and cancelling protects others and possibly their condition could have prevented the ship's passengers disembarking at a port which was being cautious on the high side.

First, I also wish to thank you for doing the right thing. Well done.

I had to cancel a cruise January 2 due to an upper respiratory infection. Fortunately, I was able to visit my doctor before embarkation day. He gladly wrote me a Do Not Travel note. I'm very sorry yours did not, @auntjoy036. It seems pretty unethical for a doctor to indicate that you should potentially infect others (First: do no harm...).

You may want to check to see if the credit card you use to book the cruise has any sort of travel insurance. My TA called the cruise line for me and I had my port fees refunded before the ship even sailed. He also got me a cancellation form from the cruise line which I submitted with my other documentation. It took a few weeks, but I got my cruise fare back via the travel insurance associated with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. 

I know that the Costco Visa travel insurance recently ended, but if you happened to have used that card before the end date, you might be able to file a claim.

Again, thank you for taking one for the team!

9 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

You have without doubt done the right thing - insurance is a law unto itself and I presume there is a small print clause there somewhere which does not cover you in the event that it is your health which prevents you travelling rather than the ship's decicion to deny you boarding. 

Sorry, but lots of travel insurance policies will cover someone who is too ill to be traveling.   That's a main reason for buying travel insurance in the first place. 

Separately, if I had a doctor who thought it was okay for me to be getting on a cruise ship with bronchitis, I'd be getting a new doctor.  

OP: thank you for making the correct decision for your health and for those who will be aboard.   I do agree with the others who think you should take this up with the clinic management.   I can't imagine any doctor thinking someone with bronchitis is fit to travel.   

I totally agree with those who have suggested that you visit another doctor. Out of curiosity, what exactly does the insurance form ask for, a diagnosis of your medical condition or just an evaluation of your fitness to travel?

Hi all.  First, thank you for your well wishes.  

I am in the US. I purchased travel insurance from my TA, a large 1-800/online firm. I have used this TA many times and always been happy with them.  The travel insurance company requires a doctor to certify that the illness/injury “precludes” the person from traveling. 

I went to a walk in clinic because my personal physician does not work on Saturdays. To the clinician there, I was only “precluded” if I had a fever or the flu.  She thought it made sense for me to sail feeling awful and risking other people.  

Some said I should have gone to the clinic before deciding not to fly/sail.  I understand that would be better strategy.  The truth is I was in no shape to travel no matter what the doctor wrote.  It will be lovely if I can persuade the insurance company to cover this loss.  Even if I cannot, I am content with my decision. 

Before I book my next trip I will look for cancel for any reason insurance.

Good health and safe travels to you all.

Vicki

8 minutes ago, auntjoy036 said:

The truth is I was in no shape to travel no matter what the doctor wrote.  

I feel you! I get frequent respiratory infections, and sometimes I feel too sick to go to the doctor! Thankfully, I can email him and do phone appointments. 

I completely understand why you had to do things the way you did, and I hope it works out for you with  the insurance. I admire your attitude, either way.

13 minutes ago, auntjoy036 said:

I am in the US. I purchased travel insurance from my TA, a large 1-800/online firm. I have used this TA many times and always been happy with them.  The travel insurance company requires a doctor to certify that the illness/injury “precludes” the person from traveling. 

I went to a walk in clinic because my personal physician does not work on Saturdays. To the clinician there, I was only “precluded” if I had a fever or the flu.  She thought it made sense for me to sail feeling awful and risking other people.  

Some said I should have gone to the clinic before deciding not to fly/sail.  I understand that would be better strategy.  The truth is I was in no shape to travel no matter what the doctor wrote.  It will be lovely if I can persuade the insurance company to cover this loss.  Even if I cannot, I am content with my decision. 

Vicki

I hope you feel better really soon, Vicki!

Tell your "practitioner" you won't pay her bill and just go to another doctor.

If higher temperature is all it takes there are ways to accomplish or claim that but it's silly to even having to go to such lengths given the situation at the moment.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't avoid going on a cruise just because of a cough.

7 hours ago, auntjoy036 said:

Vicki

hope you feel better soon, & also hope that you  will pursue this with your Insurance as well as Celebrity.   I t sounds like you would have been refused to board with the present rules, I would hope that at the very least you would receive some sort of future cruise credit.  

@auntjoy036 I don't think even CFAR would have covered you unless you cancelled a couple days before the cruise. Mine requires 48 or 72 hrs before boarding.

I was wondering how far in advance you made the decision not to go? Would you have had to fly to the port? 

Bronchitis is no fun. I usually get it or sinusitis every winter.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, auntjoy036 said:

Vicki

To me personally; i don't think it would be at all unreasonable to unethical to approach your personal physician at this point; describe your symptoms, show any paperwork from the clinic with diagnosis and treatment, and see if there is anything he/she could sign at this point that could validate your claim.