Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sansterre

LIVE from the EURODAM - CIRCLE HAWAII

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, usetobemoss said:

There was as article on the front page of the San Diego Union that 1 passenger from our ship/cruise tested positive and 2 others were tested and are awaiting results.

We have decided to self quarantine for 14 days.

I spoke incorrectly sorry my friend was misinformed: 1 passenger is not showing signs and 2 are awaiting results.

Here is the article 
https://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune.com/infinity/sdut/default.aspx?pubid=ee84df93-f3c1-463c-a82f-1ab095a198ca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That you for the newspaper link.  The San Diego Union Tribune seems to have it right.

Quoting directly from the letter:

"March 17, 2020

Dear Guest, 

We have just been notified by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) of one presumed positive COVID-19 case in a guest who is believed to have traveled on 

Eurodam on the voyage prior to yours, February 16 - March 1, 2020, which is 17 days ago.  This is beyond the maximum incubator period for COVID-19 which is 14 days.  No further information about this person has been shared with us, so we do not have any details regarding what stateroom they were in or how they spent their time on board.  Please be reassured that we routinely and thoroughly sanitize every stateroom and public area at the end of each voyage with a disinfectant known to kill COVID-19 within 30 seconds."

The letter continues with a second and small third paragraph about self-monitoring and lists two websites.  It is signed by Dr. Grant Tarling. Chief Medical Officer, Holland American Line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Happy to hear you two are home.😄

Thanks!  Always good to see you on the CC boards!

We are going to miss cruising terribly.  Hope we can get on the same ship again soon!

Today I feel a bad cold starting up.  If a don't feel better tomorrow I'm going to monitor my temperature and follow-up with those websites we were given in "the letter".  I doubt that they have any tests anywhere near our small town in Florida.

Edited by sansterre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sansterre said:

Today I feel a bad cold starting up.  If a don't feel better tomorrow I'm going to monitor my temperature and follow-up with those websites we were given in "the letter".  I doubt that they have any tests anywhere near our small town in Florida.

 

Would you mind posting those websites?  In our dash to leave independently I stashed the letter and final bill somewhere - and I can't find either!  We elected to skip our flight to San Jose and instead rented a car and drove.

I too, caught a cold several days ago, but I've monitored my temp and all seems okay.

What a change in events since we left San Diego on March 1st!

Pam in Sunnyvale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting those websites Westcoastercruiser.

I am feeling a bit better this morning so thinking I have nothing more than a bad cold, but will self-quarantine while monitoring it.

Here is a photo of Kahului, Maui where we docked instead of anchoring near Lahina.  Although it is a major commercial port, it also has a lovely bay which was full of kayaks/canoes of various sizes.

 

7 - 1.jpg

Edited by sansterre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were on a cruise in the past 14 days:

  • Stay home for 14 days from the time you disembark, practice social distancing, and monitor your health. Social distancing means staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from others when possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PamKB said:

 

Would you mind posting those websites?  In our dash to leave independently I stashed the letter and final bill somewhere - and I can't find either!  We elected to skip our flight to San Jose and instead rented a car and drove.

I too, caught a cold several days ago, but I've monitored my temp and all seems okay.

What a change in events since we left San Diego on March 1st!

Pam in Sunnyvale

 

Hi, Pam. I replied to your email last night with the scan of the letter.  There were definitely people who seemed to be showing signs of the typical ship cold ... hoping that’s all you have.  Barb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sansterre said:

Thanks for posting those websites Westcoastercruiser.

I am feeling a bit better this morning so thinking I have nothing more than a bad cold, but will self-quarantine while monitoring it.

Here is a photo of Kahului, Maui where we docked instead of anchoring near Lahina.  Although it is a major commercial port, it also has a lovely bay which was full of kayaks/canoes of various sizes.

 

7 - 1.jpg


And the color of that water.❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sending the scan, Barb!  Thanks also to Westcoastcruiser.  We're already practicing the required steps and monitoring my cold.  It would be a miracle not to catch a cold given the airport travel, hotel stay and cruise ship travel, so I'm hopeful that's all it is.  I hope the same for you and all other passengers.    Still no temp, so that's a good sign!

Your photos are beautiful.  

Pam in Sunnyvale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what happened to Pearl (Neptune Consierge)? We didn’t see her the last half of cruise. Hope she is OK. She is such a sweet person and really knew how to take care of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tuckers_Mom said:

Does anyone know what happened to Pearl (Neptune Consierge)? We didn’t see her the last half of cruise. Hope she is OK. She is such a sweet person and really knew how to take care of us.

 

During our 31 days onboard, we became very close with both concierges but especially Pearl so got very concerned when she disappeared after Hilo.  Her roommate, Melissa, wouldn't say much at all.  And John wouldn't come right out and tell us what was going on but "suggested" that she was very stressed and was having a hard time dealing with all that was going on, all the unknowns … she had seen the doctor and was told to rest for a few days.  During the last few days of the cruise, we wondered if she was behind the scenes in Guest Services but we didn't want to keep pushing it so didn't ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cough got worse today, I went to get tested for COVID-19.  Since I have heart disease, had been on a cruise, and had flown from one of the states they listed, I was accepted for testing.  Getting that nasal sample didn't take long, but I found it to be very uncomfortable.

Then they told me it would be at least 10 days before I would get the results!  I thought I had heard wrong - wasn't it a 3 day waiting period?  "No, this afternoon the waiting period had just gone up today from 5 days to 10 days", she said.

One good thing was that IF I did contract DOVID-19 on the Wednesday flights, it should show up in the sample taken today.  I guess there really isn't any easy way of knowing where I picked up the virus, but I do want to believe that we were all Coronavirus-free when we left the Eurodam.

I really don't mind staying home for 2 weeks.  I'm self-quarantining for 14 days and with this cold (or whatever it is)  not up for doing much of anything.  Uploading photos and unpacking will keep me busy for a few days.

I hope everyone got home safely, or are one their way.  Stay safe, and stay healthy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@sansterre Sorry to hear you felt bad enough to get tested.  Hope the results are negative but since we rode the elevator and talked to you the last day or so on the ship, we’d really appreciate it if you’d post back here with the results of the test and/or email me at barb dot h at Comcast dot net.  Thanks. Barb

 

PS. Please share on our roll call as well.

Edited by zelker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, sansterre said:

My cough got worse today, I went to get tested for COVID-19.  Since I have heart disease, had been on a cruise, and had flown from one of the states they listed, I was accepted for testing.  Getting that nasal sample didn't take long, but I found it to be very uncomfortable.

Then they told me it would be at least 10 days before I would get the results!  I thought I had heard wrong - wasn't it a 3 day waiting period?  "No, this afternoon the waiting period had just gone up today from 5 days to 10 days", she said.

One good thing was that IF I did contract DOVID-19 on the Wednesday flights, it should show up in the sample taken today.  I guess there really isn't any easy way of knowing where I picked up the virus, but I do want to believe that we were all Coronavirus-free when we left the Eurodam.

I really don't mind staying home for 2 weeks.  I'm self-quarantining for 14 days and with this cold (or whatever it is)  not up for doing much of anything.  Uploading photos and unpacking will keep me busy for a few days.

I hope everyone got home safely, or are one their way.  Stay safe, and stay healthy!

 


 

yes, please post your results as Barb suggested.  Because of the confined space of the ship, despite HAL’s relentless cleaning, it is possible than one or more of us could be affected.

 

Let’s hope you feel better and your test result is negative.  And, yes, that does seem like an extraordinary long time to wait for results.

 

Claire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sansterre

 

So sorry to hear that you have a cold and have been tested for the Covid-19.  Yikes -- having to wait 10 days for the results is a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm feeling better today, but still coughing.  Today I actually went through a pile of mail and unpacked most of my things.  I'm quite sure what I have is just cold/sinus issues, complicated by flying and not able to clear my ears.

Unfortunately, I won't have the results for 8 more days.  So will keep you all posted.

Truly believe we, on the Eurodam, were extremely fortunate to stay healthy and enjoy our entire cruise.  I just read reports from the Grand World Amsterdam cruise and even worse, the Zandam South America cruise.  Chile is now not permitting passengers to disembark thus creating a search for a port that will accept passengers, some not feeling so well.

Meanwhile I see the Eurodam is cruising south along the Baja coast to join a few other ships near Puerto Vallarta. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 2:24 PM, sansterre said:

I'm feeling better today, but still coughing.

 

 

Do take care!

Best wishes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 5:24 PM, sansterre said:

I'm feeling better today, but still coughing.  Today I actually went through a pile of mail and unpacked most of my things.  I'm quite sure what I have is just cold/sinus issues, complicated by flying and not able to clear my ears.

Unfortunately, I won't have the results for 8 more days.  So will keep you all posted.

 

 

 

I had a test for COVID-19 as well, as part of ProjectBaseline.com here in the Bay Area.  I had to take a questionnaire to see if I qualified, and I did - probably because I had a cough and the underlying condition of high blood pressure.  I had the test on Saturday and it wasn't as uncomfortable as I was expecting, thank goodness.  The result came back today - negative.  So, that doesn't mean I won't contract it, but it does mean I didn't contract it on the ship, which is great news!!!  

I hope your results are the same!  I still have a cough and congestion but I think it's seasonal allergies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PamKB said:

 

I had a test for COVID-19 as well, as part of ProjectBaseline.com here in the Bay Area.  I had to take a questionnaire to see if I qualified, and I did - probably because I had a cough and the underlying condition of high blood pressure.  I had the test on Saturday and it wasn't as uncomfortable as I was expecting, thank goodness.  The result came back today - negative.  So, that doesn't mean I won't contract it, but it does mean I didn't contract it on the ship, which is great news!!!  

I hope your results are the same!  I still have a cough and congestion but I think it's seasonal allergies.


 

Great news Pam! What a relief.

 

Stay well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, sansterre said:

I'm feeling better today, but still coughing.  Today I actually went through a pile of mail and unpacked most of my things.  I'm quite sure what I have is just cold/sinus issues, complicated by flying and not able to clear my ears.

Unfortunately, I won't have the results for 8 more days.  So will keep you all posted.

 

 

 

@sansterre Hopefully you're feeling better.  Have you received your test results yet?  My allergies are definitely acting up and normally I wouldn't give it a second thought but in our new reality, how does one not worry every time we cough?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...