Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Toonarmy

Travelling from Miami - Fort Lauderdale

Recommended Posts

We are flying in from UK to Miami in January 2021 and cruising out of Fort Lauderdale with Celebrity the following day. Can anyone suggest the most economical way to travel and which city to book hotel. arriving Miami 3.30pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Toonarmy said:

We are flying in from UK to Miami in January 2021 and cruising out of Fort Lauderdale with Celebrity the following day. Can anyone suggest the most economical way to travel and which city to book hotel. arriving Miami 3.30pm.

I would take the Tri Rail as soon as you land to the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale Airport.  The Tri Rail Station is part of the airport.

 

There is a Courtyard Marriott and a Residence Inn pretty much right at the Tri Rail Station.  The next morning it is a quick and inexpensive Uber ride to the cruise port.

 

The Tri Rail Ticket is $5 each.

 

Not the Fort Lauderdale stop but the FLL/Hollywood Airport Stop.

Edited by BlueHerons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have done this many times. Firstly be prepared for the long immigration queues at Miami. In January we celebrated only queuing for 55 minutes but sometimes it has been over two hours. We always book Larrys Limos to take us to Fort Lauderdale. It's easy to book either on their website or simply just send them an email. We paid $90 last time and to have a driver waiting for you when you finally exit the airport after the long flight is worth it believe me. I know you can take shuttle services but you have to drop off at other hotels and often there is a wait before you leave the airport. Some people recommend using Uber but of course UK mobiles are very expensive to use in the US.  We like to stay in Fort Lauderdale preferably not too far from the port. There are loads of hotels to choose from depending on how much you want to pay but some are quite expensive. Bear in mind it will be early evening when you check in and you'll be tired anyway. The trip takes around an hour. Next morning the hotel will get you a taxi to the port. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are grateful to BlueHerons and lovescarborough for the replies. Will probably use one of the options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Toonarmy said:

We are grateful to BlueHerons and lovescarborough for the replies. Will probably use one of the options

We use the Tri Rail exclusively when we fly to and from Europe if that helps.  We've had zero problems getting on the train after a ten hour plane ride.  It's $5, super easy, and very relaxing.

 

Don't discount that a car ride on I95 is a nerve racking mess because you will be traveling north on I95 during rush  hour.

 

Either way, have a nice trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also a fan of the tri-rail from MIA...easy peasy...with one caveat....if you have a ton of luggage you may struggle.

We travel light, often one bag each...which makes the tri-rail a snap.

On the tri-rail, "Griffin Road" is the airport stop...and, as mentioned above, it is well marked for the Ft Lauderdale Airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you thinfool. Over the years we have watched fellow travellers struggle, especially as they mature in years. We also travel light and never seem to run out of clothes to wear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this something that would be easy to do the reverse? flying into FLL night before a cruise out of Miami?  Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lovebears said:

Is this something that would be easy to do the reverse? flying into FLL night before a cruise out of Miami?  Thanks so much!

I would...and I would also explore the special rate that Virgin Trains (Brightline) offers for cruisers from the FLL station to POM...a joint effort of the train and Lyft.

I like the train idea because you miss the stop n go rush hour traffic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thinfool said:

I would...and I would also explore the special rate that Virgin Trains (Brightline) offers for cruisers from the FLL station to POM...a joint effort of the train and Lyft.

I like the train idea because you miss the stop n go rush hour traffic.  

 

Can you explain where to from tri- rain to board FLL and then where to get off for MIA to catch airport shuttle night before? Thanks

Edited by lovebears
Mis spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tri-Rail Fort Lauderdale AIRPORT station is just West of the airport. There's a ticket kiosk at the station. It is a different station than the Fort Lauderdale Tri-Rail station and the BrightLine station.

 

at the Miami airport station, Tri-Rail is located in the rental car and rail complex. The PeopleMover from the airport terminals delivers you to the station.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cienfuegos & @BlueHerons

my nonstop SFO -> Miami flight arrives at 7:10 am embarkation day next 04/03/2021. Despite going on a TA I'm not concerned about flying in that day. There's numerous flights that will get me there if my plane has an issue. Besides it's nonstop.  Here's my concerns:

1. Last time I took the ship's shuttle I had to wait 4 hrs for it ---- trying to avoid that

2. I want to just carry my 22" suitcase on with me so I'd like to stop at Total Wine & More (can pre-order but would need to pick up). Is there a stop near a wine store?

3. Hopefully also stop for a better breakfast than the airport

 

Is Miami Tri-Rail basically a Bart (above ground subway) system? Is this do-able? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@Cienfuegos & @BlueHerons

my nonstop SFO -> Miami flight arrives at 7:10 am embarkation day next 04/03/2021. Despite going on a TA I'm not concerned about flying in that day. There's numerous flights that will get me there if my plane has an issue. Besides it's nonstop.  Here's my concerns:

1. Last time I took the ship's shuttle I had to wait 4 hrs for it ---- trying to avoid that

2. I want to just carry my 22" suitcase on with me so I'd like to stop at Total Wine & More (can pre-order but would need to pick up). Is there a stop near a wine store?

3. Hopefully also stop for a better breakfast than the airport

 

Is Miami Tri-Rail basically a Bart (above ground subway) system? Is this do-able? 

I cannot answer about breakfast or Total Wine.  I can tell you that the Tri Rail does not go anywhere near POM, if that is your destination.  Best bet, IMO, is uber or taxi.

Indeed, the TriRail ends/begins at MIA.  It was great for us when we returned from Lima after doing a HAL South America sailing and then Machu Pichu.  But we were going north to the northern terminus of the TriRail in Palm Beach county.

You fail to mention which port your sailing is using.  If Port Everglades then the TriRail could be useful.  If POM, then it's back to the uber or taxi thing.

 

Edited by thinfool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's Port Everglades? It's a Princess cruise. If it comes to worse alternatives I'll take the train to Aventura Mall, eat, continue on. Rome2Rio doesn't seem to like Miami. I put in my starting point of Miami Airport and it only gives me uber / taxi options!?! There's got to be mass transit down there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I think it's Port Everglades? It's a Princess cruise. If it comes to worse alternatives I'll take the train to Aventura Mall, eat, continue on. Rome2Rio doesn't seem to like Miami. I put in my starting point of Miami Airport and it only gives me uber / taxi options!?! There's got to be mass transit down there 

If no mass transit, has anyone had uber just take them to a store, wait until you pick up (outdoors) and then to final destination? I only did uber 2×. Once home when plane landed after Bart stopped and once in Charleston both they were both direct routes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I think it's Port Everglades? It's a Princess cruise. If it comes to worse alternatives I'll take the train to Aventura Mall, eat, continue on. Rome2Rio doesn't seem to like Miami. I put in my starting point of Miami Airport and it only gives me uber / taxi options!?! There's got to be mass transit down there 

There is no train to Aventura Mall.  The Tri Rail is way west and Brightline (Virgin has pulled out) isn't running yet.

 

If you are going to Port Everglades, just take an Uber.  Total Wine is on the way.  However, you don't need to stop at Total Wine.  Any Publix will do.

 

If you insist on Total Wine, you can do a call ahead or online order and they will run the order out to your Uber.

 

I can't imagine this day and age anyone would use cruise transportation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @thinfool & @BlueHerons my reason for Total Wine is that I can just do a monthly reorder but there. Will look up Publix (we don't have those). And yeah, never doing ship shuttle again. Waited 4 hrs at the airport then 1 hr at the pier. I only take a carryon so that's easy to hit up a restaurant and wine store before continuing on. Now if the cruise just goes 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Thank you @thinfool & @BlueHerons my reason for Total Wine is that I can just do a monthly reorder but there. Will look up Publix (we don't have those). And yeah, never doing ship shuttle again. Waited 4 hrs at the airport then 1 hr at the pier. I only take a carryon so that's easy to hit up a restaurant and wine store before continuing on. Now if the cruise just goes 🤞

 

Publix is a grocery store.  She is basically saying that in Florida, pretty much every grocery store has a large wine selection.  I'm not sure how California is, but many States don't allow grocery to sell any types of alcohol.  Publix is the most common store, and they have quite a large selection of wine at great prices.

 

Personally, it doesn't seem worth the hassle trying to stop and get wine in this case.  But I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess has run out of my beverage of choice on my last 2 cruises. Just thinking ahead. And yes, I have to pay $45 to carry the 4 bottles on

 

I looked at Pubix. They don't seem to have my brand (Safeway in California doesn't either)

Edited by Ombud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally concur with the Uber suggestion.

 

Total Wine and ABC Wine & Spirits are the two large wine specialty super stores in south Florida.  Both have searchable databases and have curbside pickup in many locations

 

Wine Watch in Fort Lauderdale has a cult following for its access to small growers and limited edition releases. It's one (?) exit farther north on I-95, east of the Sunrise exit. Probably 15 minutes from the cruise terminal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would no longer trust flying in the morning of. The number of flights will be drastically reduced and the flights that are available will be overbooked. If a flight is overbooked, which they will do, and there are no volunteers, it goes by lowest class fares first. The airlines have no care if you are flying in for a cruise, because that is your problem, not theirs. The cruise is only responsible if booked through them, but they won't hold a ship indefinitely. If you miss the ship, there is no refund from the cruise line. Trip insurance would be limited as well and good luck fighting with them. I for one am not risking a $5,000 vacation over the cost of a $100 hotel room for the night before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The re-booking option to a subsequent flight is not always as straightforward as it might appear.

 

My wife and I did a drive north from Florida, with a planned fly back from Baltimore. We used points on SouthWest. The afternoon of our flight, severe thunder storms rolled through the Baltimore area, fouling the flight schedules.  SW cancelled hundreds of flights as crews and equipment were out of position, or fouling the hours of service laws.

 

Because the priority for re-schedule is based on the price and method of payment, points folks like us were at the bottom of the list. Just ahead of employees and employee families traveling on the own. 

 

We enjoyed our two extra days in Baltimore, but were reminded why I usually try to schedule flights early in the day when there are fewer storms likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all very interesting, but has anyone thought there is no chance of us cruising out of Fort Lauderdale in January 2021, so I'll come back to you lot another time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The president of Norwegian said there is no chance the cruise lines will be sailing before mid 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

The president of Norwegian said there is no chance the cruise lines will be sailing before mid 2021.

 

Do you have a source for this?  I don't see it being discussed on the NCL board.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...