Cruise Critic Community
Toonarmy

Travelling from Miami - Fort Lauderdale

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

Do you have a source for this?  I don't see it being discussed on the NCL board.  Thanks!

No, he told me personally about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  He is a regular in my restaurant.  He said unless there is a inexpensive, reliable, quick vaccine, they are not seeing anything happen before mid 2021.  That's just the US.  We didn't discuss other countries.

Edited by BlueHerons

1 minute ago, BlueHerons said:

No, he told me personally about a month ago.  He is a regular in my restaurant.  He said unless there is a inexpensive, reliable, quick vaccine, they are not seeing anything happen before mid 2021.

Thank you - that’s very interesting!  I know that is our requirement before resuming cruising.

The logistics of assuring crew safety, with crews drawn from 30+ countries, and traveling to the port of origin, will be a challenge on its own. Then, arranging access to countries and ports which might not be excited about having tourists / walking disease carriers might be difficult.

That's before the passengers arrange their airport shuttles, etc prior to boarding. 

The logistics of unloading passengers and crew created a huge mess in south Florida, and likely generated many unnecessary infections.  I hope they learned something useful for planning the re-launch.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:57 AM, BlueHerons said:

The president of Norwegian said there is no chance the cruise lines will be sailing before mid 2021.

Well that is a MAJOR rumor to be throwing out there........

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Well that is a MAJOR rumor to be throwing out there........

Except it isn't a rumor.

I said this same thing from Carnival execs (one of my former employees) that they weren't sailing until 2021 and tons of people try and argue with me.

Think whatever you want.

34 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Except it isn't a rumor.

I said this same thing from Carnival execs (one of my former employees) that they weren't sailing until 2021 and tons of people try and argue with me.

Think whatever you want.

"2021" isn't the same as mid-2021.  You're saying ships aren't sailing from the US for 9 months.  Maybe not, but no one else is reporting anything like that.  Not the gov, the cruise lines, the media etc.  I'm not saying they'll sail sooner, but saying they won't until MID 2021 is totally unsubstantiated.

There have been various  reports in South Florida media about a recent meeting of CDC, HHS, the cruise lines, Florida political leaders, and White House staff. The subject was whether to extend the no-sail order, or let it expire in four weeks.  CDC had prepared an extension through January 30.

The conclusion appears to be the formal order will be allowed to expire. Which countries will accept tourists and under what protocols is unclear. 

On 9/29/2020 at 5:17 PM, BlueHerons said:

No, he told me personally about a month ago, maybe a little longer.  He is a regular in my restaurant.  He said unless there is a inexpensive, reliable, quick vaccine, they are not seeing anything happen before mid 2021.  That's just the US.  We didn't discuss other countries.

Just updated :

Updated October 5, 2020:    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of 2020 cruises to include all cruises embarking through November 2020. Additionally, we'll be suspending sailings on Norwegian Star, Norwegian Spirit, and Norwegian Dawn through March 2021.

https://www.ncl.com/suspended-sailings

On 10/5/2020 at 11:36 AM, capriccio said:

Just updated :

Updated October 5, 2020:    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of 2020 cruises to include all cruises embarking through November 2020. Additionally, we'll be suspending sailings on Norwegian Star, Norwegian Spirit, and Norwegian Dawn through March 2021.

https://www.ncl.com/suspended-sailings

Thank you Capriccio.