Jump to content

Have you brought your own cup?


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, VitaLuna said:

Aside from the info mentioned above (splashing your backwash left in your cup back up onto the dispenser), you also put your cup up against the lever, then someone puts their cup up against the lever and transfers your dirty germy hands onto their cup, which they then put up to their mouth (not everyone washes their hands after the bathroom). Overkill? Perhaps. But they have a reason. In healthcare, it’s absolutely prohibited for us to refill a pt’s used cup at the communal water/ice machine. New cup every time. 

 

Yet as I stated, it's commonplace at McDonalds and other fast food restaurants.

.

Edited by BallFour4
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, VitaLuna said:

Aside from the info mentioned above (splashing your backwash left in your cup back up onto the dispenser), you also put your cup up against the lever, then someone puts their cup up against the lever and transfers your dirty germy hands onto their cup, which they then put up to their mouth (not everyone washes their hands after the bathroom). Overkill? Perhaps. But they have a reason. In healthcare, it’s absolutely prohibited for us to refill a pt’s used cup at the communal water/ice machine. New cup every time. 

 

Yes, some of this discussion is overkill. Worrying about cups touching the dispenser lever is a bit excessive. After all, it happens millions of times at fast food restaurants and a vast majority of the time nothing bad happens. There's a point when people need to take a deep breath, relax, and let their immune system do its job.

 

I can't tell you how many times I've visited loved ones in the hospital (too many to count, unfortunately) or been there myself and witnessed their cup, one of those large insulated travel mugs (32 oz. maybe), repeatedly being refilled with ice & water. The nurses aren't getting new ones each time. This has been over the span of many years in multiple hospitals and, to my knowledge, nothing bad has ever happened because of it. I guess they do things differently around here.

Edited by Organized Chaos
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

Yes, some of this discussion is overkill. Worrying about cups touching the dispenser lever is a bit excessive. After all, it happens millions of times at fast food restaurants and a vast majority of the time nothing bad happens. There's a point when people need to take a deep breath, relax, and let their immune system do its job.

 

I can't tell you how many times I've visited loved ones in the hospital (too many to count, unfortunately) or been there myself and witnessed their cup, one of those large insulated travel mugs (32 oz. maybe), repeatedly being refilled with ice & water. The nurses aren't getting new ones each time. This has been over the span of many years in multiple hospitals and, to my knowledge, nothing bad has ever happened because of it. I guess they do things differently around here.

We don’t get whole new mugs... we take a new liner or other container and the. Pour it into the big mug/pitcher in the room. I wouldn’t be happy if I saw someone bringing them out of the room (but it’s not about the water dispenser for me... it’s about bringing dirty items into a clean space... and if they’re not following that infection control basic, then what else aren’t they following?).

 

But, I digress. The cruise ship isn’t a hospital, and while they have a good reason to ask people to follow rules, there are far bigger germ concerns on a ship than who did/didn’t refill their cup properly. 
 

As to the original question... I see that carnival allows you to buy bottled water delivered to your stateroom for a reasonable price. We will be doing this for water, and will take insulated travel mugs for hot coffee/tea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

It is unsanitary, but I definitely see it happening every day of every cruise. 

 

If you do it with a cup that has a straw, it's not nearly as bad. If you do it with a cup you put your mouth to, that is just wrong unless they are washing it in their room before using it (doubtful for most).  I do like your idea of using their cups to pour into your own, but that would also take several cups for the 32+ ounce containers people usually carry around.

 

As long as you didn't drink out of their cup, you could  use the same one over and over.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

 

As long as you didn't drink out of their cup, you could  use the same one over and over.   

I meant in terms of time filling and re-filling the small cups. It would be rather annoying during busy times in the buffet area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 9:49 PM, VitaLuna said:

Aside from the info mentioned above (splashing your backwash left in your cup back up onto the dispenser), you also put your cup up against the lever, then someone puts their cup up against the lever and transfers your dirty germy hands onto their cup, which they then put up to their mouth (not everyone washes their hands after the bathroom). Overkill? Perhaps. But they have a reason. In healthcare, it’s absolutely prohibited for us to refill a pt’s used cup at the communal water/ice machine. New cup every time. 

 

We take our own stainless steel drinking vessels with lid and straw, but fill them by using a clean ship provided cup as requested.  On the Pride (and I think on Sunrise last year too) there wasn't a lever to put the cup against.  There was a button above the dispenser to push and cups easily fit under the dispenser that the cup wouldn't need to touch.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We bring our own. We alternate between Tervis, Yetti ( bottles) and most recently ( and my favorite so far) Nalgene bottles. They're cheap so if lost, no big deal. Light weight and hold 32OZ plus hers glows in the dark. We really only use them for water though. Anything else we use the service cups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, Sagittarius traveler said:

Yes we bring our cups to bring off ship and fill it with water and ice because the islands can be real hot and need to stay hydrated.

 

Helps if these have close-able lids. I always take a very large cup.

Always use their cup to fill yours--don't want your germs on mouth of ice or drink....

Edited by crusinpsychRN
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, pacruise804 said:

 

We take our own stainless steel drinking vessels with lid and straw, but fill them by using a clean ship provided cup as requested.  On the Pride (and I think on Sunrise last year too) there wasn't a lever to put the cup against.  There was a button above the dispenser to push and cups easily fit under the dispenser that the cup wouldn't need to touch.  

 

What do you use to clean the inside of the straw?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, ridgerunner51 said:

 

What do you use to clean the inside of the straw?

 

 

We only use them for water, maybe add a sugar-free drink pack for flavor.  Since there is nothing sticky we just run hot water through the straw in the cabin bathroom sink.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, Jamesatgsu said:

I meant in terms of time filling and re-filling the small cups. It would be rather annoying during busy times in the buffet area.

 

You are NOT supposed to do this. Sign is posted right there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...