Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
pmck

Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, jknc said:

ALERT

 

3 employees @ Port Everglades have tested positive 

Now this is concerning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Anne614 said:

My daughter and I recently got off Navigator.  When she went back to her job at the VA as an RN they sent her home for 2 weeks. She has no symptoms, no known exposure.  It was just because she was on a cruise!

This is the "new" common sense thing to do, because COVID19 takes 5 days to show symptoms, and is 3-4 times more contagious than other flu viruses.  The common sense part is the most cases, except for the nursing home in WA, have been from cruise ships.  So, from the day someone gets off a cruise ship these days, they should self-quarantine for at least 7 days to get past the no-symptom-but-contagious stage.

 

The first person to get a "community infection of COVID19" is still in UC Medical Center in Davis, CA.  They jumped on this, and the entire campus population and medical center staff all tested negative. 

 

Right now in Sacramento County there are 3 active cases, and the entire school district where I live sent all students off on an early 2 week Spring Break.  Seems 1 student tested positive, and 2 of his siblings.  So, the 3 active cases are all in that household, but during the 1 student's incubation period did he infect other students?  Taking no chances, the school district close ALL the schools last Friday.  THIS is the "new" common sense thing to do.

Edited by pcur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen many social media posts that try to make an equivalency between acquiring an infection on a cruise ship and in other public spaces, such as buses, trains, theaters, etc., and argue that the risks are comparable. I do not think that this is an apples-to-apples comparison. Although it is true that the virus can spread anywhere, there certainly appears to be a heightened risk of acquiring an infection on a cruise. On a cruise ship, the community population is relatively small and in close quarters for an extended period of time (days rather than minutes or hours), which increases the chance that a given person will come into contact with someone who is infected. In other words, there is a much greater opportunity for the virus to spread widely on a cruise ship than in some other places, like theme parks and supermarkets. This was highlighted by the CDC:

 

Recent reports of COVID-19 on cruise ships highlight the risk of infection to cruise ship passengers and crew. Like many other viruses, COVID-19 appears to spread more easily between people in close quarters aboard ships.

 

It seems like we still have much to learn about this virus and how to counteract it's spread before we can say with certainty that the risk to cruisers is more, less, or the same as it is to others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I have seen many social media posts that try to make an equivalency between acquiring an infection on a cruise ship and in other public spaces, such as buses, trains, theaters, etc., and argue that the risks are comparable. I do not think that this is an apples-to-apples comparison. Although it is true that the virus can spread anywhere, there certainly appears to be a heightened risk of acquiring an infection on a cruise. On a cruise ship, the community population is relatively small and in close quarters for an extended period of time (days rather than minutes or hours), which increases the chance that a given person will come into contact with someone who is infected. In other words, there is a much greater opportunity for the virus to spread widely on a cruise ship than in some other places, like theme parks and supermarkets. This was highlighted by the CDC:

 

 

 

 

It seems like we still have much to learn about this virus and how to counteract it's spread before we can say with certainty that the risk to cruisers is more, less, or the same as it is to others.

I wonder how many people have cruised since January any not contracted the virus? How many cruise ships have sailed with no issues?


It’s like noro and cruise ships get the reputation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wonder how many people have cruised since January any not contracted the virus? How many cruise ships have sailed with no issues?


It’s like noro and cruise ships get the reputation. 

 

I don't think the relevant question is, "how much can we get away with before it becomes a problem?" I think the question should be, what can we do proactively to limit the spread of the virus going forward? When noro breaks out on a ship, then the ship is sanitized to prevent further issues, which is reactive, not proactive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I don't think the relevant question is, "how much can we get away with before it becomes a problem?" I think the question should be, what can we do proactively to limit the spread of the virus going forward? When noro breaks out on a ship, then the ship is sanitized to prevent further issues, which is reactive, not proactive.

Then not only cruise ships should be cleaning and disinfecting. Every public place in the US should be doing it constantly like they are doing on cruise ships. I think when people get the impression cruise ships are the problem, they fail to see that every public place is a possible problem. 
 

It’s a virus and unless all public places are closed, it’s going to spread, in my opinion.

Edited by TNcruising02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It’s a virus and unless all public places are closed, it’s going to spread, in my opinion.

If you think it's an apples-to-apples comparison, then yes. I disagree for the reasons posted above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got home from our March 1st Harmony cruise out of Pt Canaveral on Sunday. Boarding was the same as always with questions about where we had been. they didn't check passports or anything(I was concerned because my husband has China visa's in his from work travel last year but didn't even check). The screenings were not what you think and just because you don't have a fever at boarding doesn't mean you are not going to get sick.

We were relieved that there were no issues and we were able to port during our cruise(except Costa Maya due to high winds) but being said...we were both glad to be home and glad our cruise was before the US sees an explosion of cases like other countries. We had very rough seas on our cruise due to weather and I would not have wanted to miss ports OR be quarantined on the ship....even with a balcony.

We were also glad to be out of the airports. We were cautious and washed our hands, wipes....all that we could. 

 

We are Diamond cruisers and at this point would NOT cruise in the next few months. Just not worth the worry or chance. If its rebookable...do it. also we tried to rebook our trip 2 days before we left...RCCL said no money back so we had no choice. the new refunds went into effect the week we were on the ship. 

 

Just to make you think....we found out today that the day we flew out some Covid positive people flew thru the same terminal we did in Phoenix the day before we left. There are also some reported cases of workers in FLL. We are healthy 53 yr olds so less worry about getting sick...was more about possible quarantine, missing ports, and our dogs/house and costs if we got stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.clickorlando.com/business/2020/03/10/3-infected-with-coronavirus-at-company-that-greets-florida-cruise-passengers/

 

The 3 Port Everglades workers who have coronavirus worked as greeters of cruise passengers!  Good grief.  So, state health officials are recommending that anyone who has symptoms self-quarantine.   Not sure the recommendation really amounts to anything beyond what any non-cruiser who starts having respiratory issues combined with fever should do if they have reason to think they had contact with a person infected with the virus.  But, this news has to be devastating for the port (and, of course, anyone who passed through the port, the 3 individuals, their families and co-workers).

Edited by elephant98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We just got off the RC Symphony of the Sea on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise. Feb. 29- March 7,,2020.  We came prepared with individual sterilizing  packets and spray. Well RC has really stepped up their cleaning and sterilizing on their ships. My husband likes to play the slots at the casino. The crew was walking around cleaning off the machines when someone got off. Nice to see. The hallways smelled fresh and clean nice touch. Our room was always clean (helps though because its new). Food was always being watched for spills and checked on displays. All in all the cruise line is stepping up to the plate. Now for boarding in Miami we got on very fast we had the Key program which I say is worth the money for early boarding and lunch at the main dining room. Wish they would have done more screening when we got on though. Think they need to work on that area. If you have a cruise book go take it. But come prepared to do your share with your own hand wipes. RC is trying to do their share also.  Go out and enjoy your vacation. 

Did it seem like the boat was empty...do u think people cancelled on that sailing


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

 

"The health department advisory asks anyone who passed through the port in Fort Lauderdale to isolate themselves and contact their county health department or health care provider if they start experiencing symptoms of the virus, which includes a cough, fever and shortness of breath."

 

Jeez -- just how many people could that be and over what time period? 😟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

 

"The health department advisory asks anyone who passed through the port in Fort Lauderdale to isolate themselves and contact their county health department or health care provider if they start experiencing symptoms of the virus, which includes a cough, fever and shortness of breath."

 

Jeez -- just how many people could that be and over what time period? 😟


WOW, I can’t fathom how many people that could be (passengers, employees, contractors, taxi drives...)

Edited by AlohaLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wonder how many people have cruised since January any not contracted the virus? How many cruise ships have sailed with no issues?


It’s like noro and cruise ships get the reputation. 

 

We cruised continuously from Jan 4 to March 1.  We are seniors and do not have any evidence of contracting any virus.    We will be starting 13 weeks of cruising on the Caribbean Princess March 21 and other ships to follow.  Maybe we could contract something during those cruises but don't think the odds are sufficient to make us stay on land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

We cruised continuously from Jan 4 to March 1.  We are seniors and do not have any evidence of contracting any virus.    We will be starting 13 weeks of cruising on the Caribbean Princess March 21 and other ships to follow.  Maybe we could contract something during those cruises but don't think the odds are sufficient to make us stay on land.

13 weeks?!?!!?!   That is awesome!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, almost 100% certain we'll cancel our cruise on next Friday's Navigator sailing.  Disappointing but I don't like the way this is going.

 

I've flown twice this week already... odds are I passed by someone that had the virus... prob a few folks with the flu and other krap also.   That isn't my main concern.  I'm much more concerned about about the tactics that might be taken.  More quarantines are a given and I'm worried about where this might escalate from here.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On hold with Royal right now to cancel our March 16-20 Enchantment of the Seas sailing from Galveston booked through URComped.  My daughter and I had just talked this afternoon and decided we would go. She teaches and this is her spring break.   We really are not too concerned about contracting the virus.  But she received an email from her employer, a public school district here in TX, after she arrived home this afternoon stating that anyone traveling to China, Iran, Italy, South Korea or Japan, or other countries added to the CDC list, OR traveled via cruise line, must stay home for 14 days after returning.  That pretty much sealed the deal for us.  Any cruise line, any place, with sick people or not.  Sounds a little drastic to me.  On the bright side, Vegas air is only $100 RT from Dallas at this late date for next Monday, and I can get comped rooms and free play and resort credit!  Planes look about half full.  Looking forward to sailing on Liberty of the Seas in August with my husband.  Hope things calm down by then.  Good luck, everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ablodget2 said:

 anyone traveling to China, Iran, Italy, South Korea or Japan, or other countries added to the CDC list, OR traveled via cruise line, must stay home for 14 days after returning. 

 

Wow...that does seem a bit drastic. Really sorry to hear that it spoiled your plans. Can't help but wonder if other schools will implement a similar policy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ablodget2 said:

On hold with Royal right now to cancel our March 16-20 Enchantment of the Seas sailing from Galveston booked through URComped.  My daughter and I had just talked this afternoon and decided we would go. She teaches and this is her spring break.   We really are not too concerned about contracting the virus.  But she received an email from her employer, a public school district here in TX, after she arrived home this afternoon stating that anyone traveling to China, Iran, Italy, South Korea or Japan, or other countries added to the CDC list, OR traveled via cruise line, must stay home for 14 days after returning.  That pretty much sealed the deal for us.  Any cruise line, any place, with sick people or not.  Sounds a little drastic to me.  On the bright side, Vegas air is only $100 RT from Dallas at this late date for next Monday, and I can get comped rooms and free play and resort credit!  Planes look about half full.  Looking forward to sailing on Liberty of the Seas in August with my husband.  Hope things calm down by then.  Good luck, everyone!

Same email for FL teachers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Laurba99 said:

It’s completely true-I think someone would be lying if they cruised now and weren’t worried at every sneeze when the drs say constantly those droplets are how it’s spread. I really hesitate to get on and worry the whole time...

Yep! I asked myself....self will you be able to sit comfortably at the bar, without taking out your clorox wipes and wiping it down? or not freak out in the theater if a person sitting within 10 ft of me coughs or sneezes? Just cancelled our very special April cruise. ☹️.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Same email for FL teachers. 

Where in FL? I have family and friends who are teachers in Broward county and have received no such email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mwins78 said:


Did it seem like the boat was empty...do u think people cancelled on that sailing


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship seemed full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...