Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
pmck

Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, spg112357 said:

I agree with you.

But I am unsure what to say to our employers "sorry we are not coming to work because we are in self quarantine"?

"I think that will be 14 days but don't know right now"

I know that schools have been closed.  When you say everything is closed do you mean shops, restaurants, gas stations, etc?

I am lucky in that I work from home and probably have enough supplies to last for 14 days, but my children (that are in their own homes away from me) are not so lucky and will look to me for advice. Don't know what to tell them

 

 

Good point.  I used the wrong word.  The word is everything is canceled.  As far as closed - I was surprised to discover that a local KFC was only operating drive through and another restaurant wasn't open.  For our area I cannot speak to business closures.  Of course grocery stores are open and selling like crazy.  I have a son with severe respiratory issues so we are hunkering down.

 

This is a unique situation that is changing quite rapidly and I think flexiblity will be required all around.  My kids are elementary age.  My opinion is not worth much and it is presumptuous to think that you want it.  The first panicked wave have emptied the grocery stores.  Grocery stores will be restocked.  I will likely use grocery delivery.  Right now I am using a meal delivery service (think Hello Fresh, Home Chef, etc.).   I think the key is to limit outings and exposure and when you must keep your distance.  Wash those hands as soon as you come home (and every chance you get).  Don't touch your face.  But you know those things.  Sorry if it comes off preachy.   I fear that we may eventually reach a mandatory quarantine in the United States.  Tell your kids everything will be okay, but stock that freezer with food and potentially the pantry with canned goods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mwins78 said:


And what’s up with the toilet paper situation?? Someone needs to explain to me please!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

 

I keep wondering the same thing. There is not a store in my area that has any...including all shelf items (canned goods and non-perishables) and my son walked into work today (he's a manager at Kroger) and there wasn't any fruit or vegetables left either. WTH? People are going nuts! 

 

I was told by a Kroger employee that everyone is buying up the toilet paper because they think it all comes from China and since there's no "in or out" of China, we will have a shortage on TP. US makes about 50% of our TP and China only 10%. 

 

These people are nuts!! I just wanna be able to go to the bathroom over the next week...I didn't plan for anything like this and only have a few rolls in the house! UGH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

 

 

I keep wondering the same thing. There is not a store in my area that has any...including all shelf items (canned goods and non-perishables) and my son walked into work today (he's a manager at Kroger) and there wasn't any fruit or vegetables left either. WTH? People are going nuts! 

 

I was told by a Kroger employee that everyone is buying up the toilet paper because they think it all comes from China and since there's no "in or out" of China, we will have a shortage on TP. US makes about 50% of our TP and China only 10%. 

 

These people are nuts!! I just wanna be able to go to the bathroom over the next week...I didn't plan for anything like this and only have a few rolls in the house! UGH

 

I realize I am repeating an old post, but it was elsewhere and people seem so curious. The toilet paper issue started when early articles were written about what one would need if quarantined. Toilet paper was chief among those. But people take things way too far and so when they were disappearing people were buying it to keep from running out.

 

It wasn't an issue of China products or them thinking it was like a stomach bug (at least not most, it started pretty early in this process). It has now turned truly crazy with bread and everything else gone (yesterday at CVS all the vitamins and baby supplies were wiped out 100%. That's past crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlohaLivin said:

 

I realize I am repeating an old post, but it was elsewhere and people seem so curious. The toilet paper issue started when early articles were written about what one would need if quarantined. Toilet paper was chief among those. But people take things way too far and so when they were disappearing people were buying it to keep from running out.

 

It wasn't an issue of China products or them thinking it was like a stomach bug (at least not most, it started pretty early in this process). It has now turned truly crazy with bread and everything else gone (yesterday at CVS all the vitamins and baby supplies were wiped out 100%. That's past crazy!

 

 

I was only repeating the information the people at the stores are telling me that the consumers are saying the reason they are buying up the toilet paper. 

 

Your response definitely makes a lot of sense as well. These people are just taking it to the extreme. I have "heard" that people are trying to sell a roll on auction sites for around $36 a roll. That's just crazy! I'll use rags in the home and wash them often before I bought anything like that. 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why do we need toilet paper at all?

What did people do before there was toilet paper?

Homeless people don't have toilet paper

we use about one roll a week for two people 

How much do we really need?

I would be more concerned with the esentials 

Water (from the tap possibly using a filter jug)

Protine (eggs, cheese, meat, etc)

Veg (fresh or canned)

Hand sanitizer (nope don't need that couple of bars of soap would last  a few months)

Butter

Bread

That is about it

Oh yes. Wine, beer (excluding corona of course)

Good luck to you all

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spg112357 said:

So why do we need toilet paper at all?

What did people do before there was toilet paper?

Homeless people don't have toilet paper

we use about one roll a week for two people 

How much do we really need?

I would be more concerned with the esentials 

Water (from the tap possibly using a filter jug)

Protine (eggs, cheese, meat, etc)

Veg (fresh or canned)

Hand sanitizer (nope don't need that couple of bars of soap would last  a few months)

Butter

Bread

That is about it

Oh yes. Wine, beer (excluding corona of course)

Good luck to you all

 

 

Agree with your post, except for the reference to Corona beer.   Corona  beer is my favorite, and I sure would hate to give it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US: 

At 12:30 Friday, US had roughly 1700 cases. 
As of this morning there’s almost 3100 confirmed cases.

 

Equally interesting from a political perspective is Senator Lindsey Graham was tested several days ago and hasn’t disclosed if he does or doesn’t have the virus. 
 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we learning from Italy?

 

Italy has reported its biggest day-to-day jump in cases of COVID-19. National health authorities told reporters on Saturday that health officials recorded 3,497 new cases in 24 hours. That’s roughly a 20% increase in cases from the day before. A little more than half of those new cases occurred in Lombardy, the populous northern region which has been hardest hit in Europe’s worst outbreak. Italy’s total cases now tally 21,157. 

The death toll rose by 175. A day earlier, the same authorities had predicted glumly that Italy would still see a jump in cases despite a national lockdown that began on March 9, barely two days after severe restrictions on personal movement in the north. They cited irresponsible behavior by many citizens, who despite the earlier warnings not to gather in large numbers, headed to beaches or ski resorts, and hung out together in town squares, especially after the closure of schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Spain's official number jumped from 430 cases to 6391 cases in a week, it is interesting to note that most testing now is only happening for those with severe cases that are calling to a hotline. They are not testing mild cases that are most likely in the 10s of thousands now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Miami Herald. A lot of cases tied to Port Everglades.

 

There are now 36 cases in Broward, many but not all tied to Port Everglades, and only seven of them considered to be travel related. The county is the largest cluster of the highly contagious disease in the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read so much on the internet and all of the sharing on this site which has kept me informed.

 

But one thing truly amazed me.

 

I am (was ) a mall walker every morning got to get in my 15,000 steps from 7:30 to 9am.

I am stopping and dusted off the inside exercise bike.

 

But my point is I cannot tell you how many people were drinking out of public water fountains with this scare.

Come on people.

To begin with the mall should have shut off the water to these devices.

 

BUT

People should have common sense not to use them.

 

I put bottled water in my pocket and drink as needed.

 

Stay Healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my thoughts about toilet paper,etc.  Since schools are closed for at least two weeks, tp,soap, food are things that kids get from school and adults at work. Now people need to have more at home because they will be in their homes.  The way things have been changing we could be asked to stay home longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio Governor said this morning it’s uncertain schools will reopen this year. 
 

Families who had planned to cruise have tremendous uncertainty right now. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jknc said:

Ohio Governor said this morning it’s uncertain schools will reopen this year. 
 

Families who had planned to cruise have tremendous uncertainty right now. 
 

 

 

Really? I know my grandson has 4 weeks out so far and my daughter has 3 weeks out. They were to return a week before my cruise and I have been wondering how this is going to play out because if they consider these 3 weeks as "Spring Break" like they are calling it, then does that mean that their actual Spring Break (which is when we are supposed to cruise: April 12) would be cancelled? I guess if the governor might be closing schools the rest of this school season, then our cruise will possibly be cancelled as well. So much uncertainty. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully I have no health conditions so I am not worried for myself, and will follow the suggested precautions. But I do see this moratorium on cruises lasting more than 30 days, because it will take time for this bug to spread,  more time for people to recover, and still more time to be sure it's all over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, time4u2go said:

The -19 is because of the year in which it was discovered...2019.

 

Building on this...some terminology:

 

Coronavirus is a group of viruses, including many that cause the common cold.  Some cause more severe diseases in humans like SARS.  As new coronaviruses are discovered, they are temporarily given the name xxxx Novel Coronavirus, where xxxx is the year that it was discovered.  Novel meaning new and not resembling something formerly known.  The recent coronavirus was temporarily called 2019 Novel Coronavirus.  The virus was eventually given its "permanent" name of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).  The disease that humans develop from the virus is called Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:55 AM, Lionesss said:

I read so much on the internet and all of the sharing on this site which has kept me informed.

 

But one thing truly amazed me.

 

I am (was ) a mall walker every morning got to get in my 15,000 steps from 7:30 to 9am.

I am stopping and dusted off the inside exercise bike.

 

But my point is I cannot tell you how many people were drinking out of public water fountains with this scare.

Come on people.

To begin with the mall should have shut off the water to these devices.

 

BUT

People should have common sense not to use them.

 

I put bottled water in my pocket and drink as needed.

 

Stay Healthy.

people lose all common sense in panic situations, as evidenced by the empty grocery shelves. If everyone just shopped as normal and didn't "hoard" everything, there'd be plenty to go around.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

We just came back from a cruise and I guess we're a bit lucky in that nobody got ill. If I had a trip planned for the next few weeks, like you, I'd still go. Not so sure I'd plan anything until the fall however.

I am having a hard time understanding why people are still suggesting continuing on with planned travel.  We just had word that 2 weddings have been cancelled; one for April and one for May.  As far as I am concerned a wedding is much more important than a vacation.  Please just reschedule your travel! There are many of of that are listening to the advise of the experts and staying at home - as boring as it may be - for concern of picking up the virus and spreading it to someone more vulnerable.  Now is not the time to be self centered, but to think about others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sunchaser21 said:

  We just had word that 2 weddings have been cancelled; one for April and one for May.  As far as I am concerned a wedding is much more important than a vacation..

Our son is getting married in August. They've just booked a back up date for church and venue for Aug21 , just in case ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure hope this coronavirus issue is over by August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 11:11 PM, Dennis#1 said:

Agree with your post, except for the reference to Corona beer.   Corona  beer is my favorite, and I sure would hate to give it up.

you'll never drink it quite the same way ever again after all this..... 🙂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a book by a doctor who worked with EBOLA patients. Now that disease is scary! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...