Cancel at any time insurance

Do you have to purchase HAL's "Cancel at any time" insurance at time of deposit, time of first payment (assuming not deposit), time of final payment, or within so many days past final payment?  I made a deposit quite some time ago but just paid everything in one lump sum last week.  Can I purchase from HAL?   Thanks

You can purchase it up to final payment date - but be careful, as a couple of times the deadline for the insurance has been a day or two prior to final payment date.  So I always pay in full and get the Platinum insurance about a week ahead of the date.

Maybe this is true in the USA. But I booked via the European office (Rotterdam) and couldn't add this although our final payment is in April. They state that as soon you have paid your deposit and the cancellation fees kick it is impossible to add it. Here the cancellation fees (20%) start at the moment that you have a reservation.

I've only been on one other cruise so I'm a novice to cruising.  I didn't even know about Cancel for Any Reason until this weekend when a friend said her TA had mentioned it to her when she was trying to decide whether to cancel her upcoming trip.  Looks like I need to become better informed 

The date that cancellation fees begin is the key deadline for purchasing HAL's cancel for any reason plans (CPP). For most cruises, this is the same as the final payment due date. But for long cruises, it can be a month earlier than the final payment date. As an example, our scheduled 32 day South Pacific cruise has the final payment due on 11/23/2020 but the cancellation penalties start on 10/24/2020. 

The dates are clearly laid out on the Guest Booking Confirmation that HAL sends out by email.