Good Alaska port for family photo?

tallgirl97

We're taking an inter-generational cruise as a family of 17 in July. Our ports will be Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. I'm hoping we can get the entire family off the ship at the same time - likely first thing one morning, before everyone scatters for the day - for a few group shots in the general vicinity of the dock. Is there any spot in particular you would recommend for this - ideally someplace where we can pose in front of the ship, or some stunning scenery. Which port would be best? Bonus points if you have any photos of your own to share. 🙂

In both Ketchikan and Juneau, the ships dock in a tourist area. The docks have multiple views of the ships, public art and so on.

In Skagway the ships dock at industrial docks. There is a walk to town where the interesting  stuff is. When our ship docked at Railroad dock, the dock area was full of tour buses and people accessing the train. 

In Skagway there are also two berths along the edge of the canal.  This is the other side of the port from the industrial dock.  Along the waterline at these two berths there are a number of paintings as through the years it was tradition for ship crews to paint the ship name, often with a logo and date, on the large boulders.  Through the years some passengers have commented that they find it odd, but the scene certainly says "Skagway" to me.

Much of Skagway is second growth timber as the trees were cut during the height of the Klondike gold rush.  That second growth timber hides some painted advertisements which were done by Skagway merchants.  For example, there is a painted advertisement for a jeweler which, if you know where to look, sometimes from across the valley you can barely see part of it.

My vote would be on the ship during sea day somewhere with forest or even better glacier in background. With 17 if anyone is on a ship sponsored tour they will be gone or in line waiting on tour. On ship everyone will be there and lots of people are around to take multiple photos in case of closed eyes. This would not be a factor with tripod and remote shutter. On shore many people will be in a hurry to get somewhere. The ship also would provide much safer surroundings for the camera in case of rain.   With 17 not much of background will show and many spots on the ship with provide some background (we like the stairs) theaters not being used are also good spots.  

Skagway has any number of buildings/shops that have a vintage (Gold Rush) look to them, including porches where your family could pose. But this is not right by the port(s). Also an old train snowplow on the way to town there, but it might not fit 17 in front of it!

In Skagway, a couple of the docks have enough space where you can get a picture of your ship as background as well as the glacier and mount Harding if the day is clear.

I do this shot for people, frequently , usually in the morning.

DD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the replies. Perhaps it would be simplest to try to herd the cats into place while we’re on our Tracy Arm day, on deck in front of some scenery - weather depending if course. I will definitely take advantage of some of these other locations with my immediate family while we’re off the ship.