Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Probably b/c they want to avoid accidentally contaminating other people while doing tests...if testers have to don protective gear on and off, over and over...that will take forever to do 3500...

But I don't know how they are getting tests done...and if there's a way for people to self-administer tests and leave them to be taken (and if we'd trust them to do them correctly)...

You're probably right in that they don't have enough staff on ship trained properly as to administer a brand new test, but basically shows that we need to get the ship to a secure port asap so that we can get medical and CDC staff aboard to control the outbreak.

• Like 1

Media are reporting the ship is heading for Point Magu a naval/quarantine facility.  600 mile journey.

I listened to the announcement by the Captain of Grand, he is British and sounds very calm and professional, anyone know his name? 

3 minutes ago, leongcpa said:

You're probably right in that they don't have enough staff on ship trained properly as to administer a brand new test, but basically shows that we need to get the ship to a secure port asap so that we can get medical and CDC staff aboard to control the outbreak.

Point Magu in Ventura County? 

9 minutes ago, leongcpa said:

Time is of the essence. They cannot wait until next week to get tested. We know this is a disease that can go from mild to serious to death in a matter of days. It's infuriating to me that we aren't moving faster.

I’m wondering if we really have the testing kits, or will have them any time soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

I’m wondering if we really have the testing kits, or will have them any time soon. 

Depends on where they are manufactured, USA or more probably China like most other things these days.

37 minutes ago, leongcpa said:

My question is: Why hasn't that been done already? Speed is of the essence. There has already been at least one death  from the coronavirus among past passengers who got off the ship 14 days ago. A few days early could save lives among those who are on the ship now because we can get them supportive health care earlier. Time matters.

Because they were not sure anyone was infected on the ship at all. Now they know and will test everyone.

32 minutes ago, ano said:

Won't be docked in San Francisco, but will be brought to a non-commercial port.

Testing sounds great, but testing all the passengers and crew on just this ship would be more tests performed than currently have been tested across the U.S. to date. (Although 400,000 test kits have been promised for several weeks now.)

For comparison, South Korea is reporting that 150,000 test have been performed to date.

Point Magu in Ventura County, 600 mile (24 hr sail)  That is what the US media are reporting.

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Media are reporting the ship is heading for Point Magu a naval/quarantine facility.  600 mile journey.

I listened to the announcement by the Captain of Grand, he is British and sounds very calm and professional, anyone know his name? 

John Harry Smith I think. I recognized the voice from the last time I was on the Grand.

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

John Harry Smith I think. I recognized the voice from the last time I was on the Grand.

Thank you for that.  What a good British name is that.  As the Brits say, 'keep calm and sail on.'

BTW, Captain Smith was Master of ye olde Titanic, was he not? 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Depends on where they are manufactured, USA or more probably China like most other things these days.

Could be from here in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are a lot of biotech companies here. In fact there are a number withing walking distance of one of the UCSF campuses. A rapid test process for Covad 19 was developed at UCSF

For those not familiar University of California San Francisco is a major set of research hospitals/medical school, etc.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Thank you for that.  What a good British name is that.  As the Brits say, 'keep calm and sail on.'

BTW, Captain Smith was Master of ye olde Titanic, was he not? 

A different one at that though.

35 minutes ago, ano said:

Testing sounds great, but testing all the passengers and crew on just this ship would be more tests performed than currently have been tested across the U.S. to date.

No doubt a huge undertaking and I believe it takes 6 hours to complete each test in the lab. I'd guess they will need to use several labs to accomplish this is a timely manor.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Because they were not sure anyone was infected on the ship at all. Now they know and will test everyone.

This is reactive thinking.... we need to be proactive, if we want to save lives.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

No doubt a huge undertaking and I believe it takes 6 hours to complete each test in the lab. I'd guess they will need to use several labs to accomplish this is a timely manor.

Worst scenario...If only 1 lab used and taking 6 hrs for a test, equates to 875 days, long time to be in a cabin.  We don't even want to think about that.  

Edited by NSWP

19 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

"The CDC  will distribute test kits capable of testing over 1.1 million people by the end of the weekend, and another 1 million tests will be in quality assurance testing by next week, according to Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn."

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/06/trying-to-make-up-for-lost-time-the-cdc-will-distribute-1-1-million-covid-19-tests-this-weekend/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leongcpa said:

This is reactive thinking.... we need to be proactive, if we want to save lives.

No it is correct thinking. You want to find out if there is any infection in the first place before proceeding with testing all people using what is a partially invasive sampling technique.

(By the way active will do. Proactive just means active active which is a nonsense term. I all old enough to remember when that grating word came into use).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Probably b/c they want to avoid accidentally contaminating other people while doing tests...if testers have to don protective gear on and off, over and over...that will take forever to do 3500...

But I don't know how they are getting tests done...and if there's a way for people to self-administer tests and leave them to be taken (and if we'd trust them to do them correctly)...

The Koreans just did 17k tests on March 6th, and produced results for 15k. Their backlog is down to just 19k cases...

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030

• Like 1

With an almost 50% positive rate on that small test group and infections dating back to the prior cruise I think it's likely we are on our way to a Diamond Princess situation with hundreds being infected when all is said and done. Many are probably infected and don't know it yet because they are asymptomatic.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Worst scenario...If only 1 lab used and taking 6 hrs for a test, equates to 875 days, long time to be in a cabin.  We don't even want to think about that.  

Well, if someone gets past 14 days from their confinement time and have exhibited no symptoms then it seems unlikely they were infected.

16 minutes ago, brisalta said:

No it is correct thinking. You want to find out if there is any infection in the first place before proceeding with testing all people using what is a partially invasive sampling technique.

(By the way active will do. Proactive just means active active which is a nonsense term. I all old enough to remember when that grating word came into use).

This. Plus the fact that testing too early in the incubation period produces false negative results and those people would be released to further spread the disease

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I watched the press conference. He also said he gave full authority to the CDC to do what the think is right.

Actually, their authority expands only so far as the letter of the law. The President and congress will have to enact various decrees and laws to do what becomes necessary.

Guys. Get a grip.

There is an air station at Point Mugu  but it is not a deepwater port where you could dock a cruise ship of that draft.    I think the media must mean Port Hueneme which is (according to Wikipedia) the only deepwater port between San Francisco and San Diego.    I think Bremerton would be better, a 3000+ person cruise ship would just be another aircraft carrier to them.

• Like 1