Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

19 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm on the 3/22 sailing between yours.  I'm guessing with an extra day plus in port, the ship will get an extra thorough scrub down, which (a) I hope is for nothing because there's nothing of that virus left, and/or (b) gets rid of any nasty bugs that might be hanging around.

Will keep you posted if we hear anything. Other than the ship scrub down, I’m concerned about the potential contraction of the virus by crew and other passengers who may stay on. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I just read something on another forum that the passengers on the current sailing of the Grand have been told that that the ship is skipping Ensenada and returning early to San Francisco at the direction of the CDC.  Here's hoping that it's just being done due to "abundance of caution".

Princess says in their letter that they are skipping Ensenada in order to get back early because they are feeling that CDC will be doing things that could take an extra day or so, etc.  That is what I read in the letter on the Princess site.

Pooh

7 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

Will keep you posted if we hear anything. Other than the ship scrub down, I’m concerned about the potential contraction of the virus by crew and other passengers who may stay on. 

Thanks!  Please do keep us posted.

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

With 2 infections from that ship, I can't imagine the crew won't face a 14 day quarantine.  And if it does, I have to think the next 2 cruises are scrapped.  

I think that’s the reality we will likely have to face. Just hoping a decision is made soon before more passengers transit to San Fran to board. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

I think that’s the reality we will likely have to face. Just hoping a decision is made soon before more passengers transit to San Fran to board. 

We usually sail out of San Francisco but booked out of LA for a cruise next month.  While I have a few concerns over what is happening on cruise ships at the current time, I still plan on going if they don't start canceling all their sailings in bulk.  Thankfully, I booked my airfare on Southwest ... and that can all be canceled with a blink of an eye ... but for those that book other airlines, I can really see the concerns one might have.  We are getting quite a few more people from the area that are testing positive.  I live in a neighborhood where a lot of the residents travel to China frequently, so much so that they canceled a neighborhood Chinese New Years celebration.   I also was surprised to find out that there are nearly 10K people that are self quarantined in the Bay Area.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jp2746 said:

Exactly! My husband's employer is already unhappy that we are leaving for a week.  I can't even imagine if he was gone for three.  Plus we would probably be eating pasta for the next year if he lost two weeks pay! 😮 

Would his workplace want him to come back in after the cruise or quarantine at home?  Losing one week's vacation money might be better than losing two weeks of pay.  

For those who would be less impacted without two weeks pay, consider how it looks to the employer, too.  My long time employer's asked us to evaluate personal travel for a few weeks and all international business travel is halted.  The optics may not be great in my case if I decide to travel when the company has put travel on hold or find alternative ways to accomplish them.

Edited by travelpeon
  • Like 1

We are also booked on the 3-22 cruise. It’s a move over cruise from 1-22. We live in the East Bay, so I guess it is a wait and watch situation. 

Cheers, Denise 

Edited by dchip
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We usually sail out of San Francisco but booked out of LA for a cruise next month.  While I have a few concerns over what is happening on cruise ships at the current time, I still plan on going if they don't start canceling all their sailings in bulk.  Thankfully, I booked my airfare on Southwest ... and that can all be canceled with a blink of an eye ... but for those that book other airlines, I can really see the concerns one might have.  We are getting quite a few more people from the area that are testing positive.  I live in a neighborhood where a lot of the residents travel to China frequently, so much so that they canceled a neighborhood Chinese New Years celebration.   I also was surprised to find out that there are nearly 10K people that are self quarantined in the Bay Area.  

We are also booked out of LA for next month.  Unless Princess cancels the cruise, we still plan on going.  I also booked our airfare with our Southwest points.  We have a hotel for one night, but we can cancel without penalty.  Hopefully everything will still be a go. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Kind of a mute point to tell you that now, considering all of the passengers/crew have been out and about for 12 days now!    I understand that they didn't know until then, though. 

Except it was posted on CC March 2 and today is the 5th, so that is 3 days ago.  I wonder if they feared letting the news out earlier cause they might have had to hold the ship up in port.  This way all the passengers got off and the sailing continued.  hmmm.

• Like 1

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/grand-princess-updates.html

For those guests who sailed with us on our previous voyage and may have been exposed, in an abundance of caution, the CDC requires you to remain in your stateroom until you have been contacted and cleared by our medical staff. A member of our medical team will be calling you between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM this morning. You may order room service while you wait for the medical screening to be completed, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Edited by AlyssaJames

21 minutes ago, dchip said:

We are also booked on the 3-22 cruise. It’s a move over cruise from 1-22. We live in the East Bay, so I guess it is a wait and watch situation. 

Cheers, Denise 

Oh no Denise. Thats sad after doing the moreover. 

I hope things get worked out.

• Thanks 1

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/

Grand Princess Health Advisory - click link as I won't post all of it.

Health and Travel Advisory

1. Any individual who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau, Hong Kong, South Korea, Iran or lockdown areas within Lombardy and Veneto, Italy within 14 days of the start of their cruise, (including transit through their airports) will not be permitted to board the ship.
    • Shipboard staff will be scanning passports to verify transit through any of the prohibited areas. Given the serious nature of these circumstances, false responses on pre-boarding documents will result in immediate disembarkation at the next opportunity. Guests who do not disclose travel through prohibited areas may also face additional legal consequences.
  2. Any individual who has been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19 within 14 days of the start of the cruise, will not be permitted to board the ship.
  3. Additional pre-boarding screening of all guests and crew, including temperature checks, who have visited areas with community spread of COVID-19 and for individuals reporting illness.
  4. Standard pre-boarding health reporting for all guests advising them of their obligation to report any illness symptoms.
  5. Medical screening for COVID-19 on all individuals who visit our onboard Medical Center with symptoms of respiratory illness or fever.
  6. Reporting to local health authorities of all cases of fever and respiratory illness, and any patients with suspected COVID-19 infection.
  7. Crew members from China, South Korea or lockdown areas within Lombardy and Veneto, Italy will be delayed from joining any ship until further notice.
  8. Enhanced environmental sanitation onboard with a disinfectant that kills coronaviruses within 30 seconds.
Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Oh no Denise. Thats sad after doing the moreover. 

I hope things get worked out.

Thanks, Keith 

It will be interesting to see how it gets handled in case of a cancelation. It was hubby’s birthday cruise in January. 😖

Cheers, Denise 

18 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/grand-princess-updates.html

For those guests who sailed with us on our previous voyage and may have been exposed, in an abundance of caution, the CDC requires you to remain in your stateroom until you have been contacted and cleared by our medical staff. A member of our medical team will be calling you between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM this morning. You may order room service while you wait for the medical screening to be completed, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

There doesn't seem a lot of point in keeping passengers on a back to back in their cabins, when most of the ships crew also sailed with the passengers on the previous cruise.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Since folks on the current cruise have already been on board for over 10 days, I wonder what singling out the B2B folks is supposed to do.  Seems too late for that. 

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Are you currently onboard??

The notification about the Grand at https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/grand-princess-updates.html has just now been updated to include this important information:

For guests who sailed on the previous Grand Princess voyage (Feb 11-21), if you have experienced any symptoms of acute respiratory illness with fever, chills, or cough since your return home, please immediately contact your medical provider. You can also view the COVID-19 information card (PDF) provided by the CDC.

By reading the PDF information card it sounds like self-quarantine is on its way for the folks from the past voyage who aren't showing symptoms.

Edited by idahospud
  • Like 4