Cruise Critic Community
4cats4me

Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

You mean to tell me that our government and medical experts can't find a place for the Grand too dock and yet they have not forced the cruise industry to shut down for a couple months. Where should we put ships full of people if the cruises continue and a passenger or crew tests positive? Enough with this lunacy!!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

I've been doing the same thing. Hopefully we know more soon!

A few more miles eastward and people on the upper decks should be able to get reception on cell phones from cell towers at higher elevations in Daly City or Pacifica.

Edited by brisalta

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

A few more miles eastward and people on the upper decks should be able to get reception on cell phones from cell towers at higher elevations in Daly City.

No cell service yet but land in sight.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, Wheelhouse said:

No specific ship mentioned here but there are three COVID-19 cases in Maryland of people returning from a cruise ending on Feb 20.

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-beat/three-montgomery-county-residents-have-states-first-cases-of-coronavirus/

Sorry your news isn’t very good in Ohio.  The Maryland cases came from an Egyptian cruise.   This was on the news yesterday AM in Maryland.   Glad you have canceled your Oct. cruise, we were thinking of .

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

No cell service yet but land in sight.

Which deck are you on and are you on the landward side? From your response I am assuming you are onboard the Grand.

Edited by brisalta

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

Which deck are you on and are you on the landward side?

Not me.  Parents are on starboard/landward side.  

7 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

The LA Times article linked by another poster above is really troubling.

"Tarling said two waiters who served the man multiple times were subsequently infected."

So that means at minimum the Grand had two dining stewards who became infected on the prior cruise, serving meals for several days on this cruise... presumably they also came in frequent close contact with people who work in the galley.   Everybody should be taken off that ship as soon as practicable and put in isolation.

Here, I was thinking that eating in the MDR rather than the buffet was a protection.

1 minute ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I'm surprised that one passenger was allowed to bring her sewing machine onboard!

Why?  It is not a prohibited item.  

3 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I'm surprised that one passenger was allowed to bring her sewing machine onboard!

It is not on the list of prohibited items.

I saw one once on a Royal Caribbean cruise I was on.

In addition to bringing two extra weeks of medicines on a cruise, also bring something to keep you occpied for an extra two weeks.

50 minutes ago, npcl said:

not that many places to dock a large cruise ship. especially one that is not an active commercial port. Oakland, which has not been used for a while, and the naval port hueneme north of LA are the only two I can think of closest to the ship. I know port hueneme can handle cargo ships, but don't know if it can deal with the size of the grand.

Oakland is one of the busiest container ports on the West Coast and can handle ships with draughts up to 40 feet. The Grand Princess has a 26-foot draught. I see these giant ships sailing in and out of San Francisco Bay almost every day. 

2 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

I was on a cruise on the Grand and there was a quilters conference. Enough sewing machines to setup a small clothing factory appeared in one of the large spaces.

12 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Sorry your news isn’t very good in Ohio.  The Maryland cases came from an Egyptian cruise.   This was on the news yesterday AM in Maryland.   Glad you have canceled your Oct. cruise, we were thinking of .

Bet it was from Grandeur, because someone tested positive after being on ship last cruise! 

Just now, MsCynthia said:

Oakland is one of the busiest container ports on the West Coast and can handle ships with draughts up to 40 feet. The Grand Princess has a 26-foot draught. I see these giant ships sailing in and out of San Francisco Bay almost every day. 

Except the container port is a commercial port. It has been specified that they would dock at a non-commercial port.

1 minute ago, MsCynthia said:

They were trying to not use commercial port & possibly potential infect! 

22 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

You mean to tell me that our government and medical experts can't find a place for the Grand too dock and yet they have not forced the cruise industry to shut down for a couple months. Where should we put ships full of people if the cruises continue and a passenger or crew tests positive? Enough with this lunacy!!

I find this kind of odd, too. They are planning on implementing testing onboard and prior to disembarking yet have no plans or protocols of what to do when positives are found? I must be missing something....

24 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

The LA Times article linked by another poster above is really troubling.

"Tarling said two waiters who served the man multiple times were subsequently infected."

So that means at minimum the Grand had two dining stewards who became infected on the prior cruise, serving meals for several days on this cruise... presumably they also came in frequent close contact with people who work in the galley.   Everybody should be taken off that ship as soon as practicable and put in isolation.

An interesting comment from the conference call with Princess and media was that the two passengers currently on the ship that tested positive had NOT been on the original Mexico sailing. So they either got infected on the ship or brought it on with them...

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

because it is not just a dock...they will need quarantine facilities and much more. Ground personnel will have to have the same hazmat suits (not sure that is what you call them) and equipment to deal with the positive cases.  Many will probably need to go to a hospital equipped for this....this will really drain the local community and take a bit of time to organize...not just a simple dock I am sure.

All humans need to get inso & do by cat! They said they would off load & figure it out, but trying to dock to not possibly infect around as it gets docked! Send them where the Dia pax base wnt to. 

11 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

If the cruise lines are shut down , then the airlines should be also. 

How many ships have had trouble with the virus ? TWO ships out of 17 for Princess, and ONE ship out of 15 for Holland America.   Tens of thousands of passengers and crew are sailing on cruise ships right now and haven't had reported issues.

It's important to keep some perspective.   

4 minutes ago, WIDisCruiser said:

Golden Gate Bridge in sight.  Ship just came to complete stop.

Are they waiting for a SF Bay pilot to board? They cannot enter the bay without a pilot.

I suspect which ever pilot is assigned is getting bonus pay.

8 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Except the container port is a commercial port. It has been specified that they would dock at a non-commercial port.

How about Mare Island or Hunters point?