Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

6 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

That isn't really how it works in busy ports, that sort of thing is worked out in advance.   Keep in mind most of them anchor out until the cranes are ready to offload, I think in San Pablo Bay but it has been a very long time since I was in the Bay Area.

This is not a normal circumstance.

Actually a lot anchor off of Candle Stick Point these days. There is a major anchorage there.

Edited by brisalta

4 minutes ago, ChiCruiser758 said:

Interesting. Could it be that to escape the media, the ship has been asked to turn off AIS, so it's not public where they are docked? The ship is so big, I can't imagine anywhere in the Bay Area where they wouldn't be seen once they are docked.

I think you may be correct. The following indicates the AIS is off https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/stations/7072

Pier 30/32 is a likely candidate. San Pablo Bay and any of the docks up in that direction aren't likely. There's nothing to be gained by bringing the ship up there... farther away from both airports and other support resources.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 7.43.19 PM.png

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

The following indicates the AIS is off https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/stations/7072

That's the AIS receiver on the ship (which feeds into marinetraffic)

the AIS transponder is still transmitting every few minutes, as you can see here  https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:370965/zoom:12

"Received: 1 minute ago" is what it just told me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SedNabokos said:

That's the AIS receiver on the ship (which feeds into marinetraffic)

the AIS transponder is still transmitting every few minutes, as you can see here  https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:370965/zoom:12

"Received: 1 minute ago" is what it just told me.

She had status of stopped a couple of minutes ago. She is now underway.

Anyway it is fruitless working out where she is heading without listening to radio traffic.

Unfortunately hills block my view of both the Pacific and the Bay. It is too dark to climb to the top of the mountain where I can see both and pick up VHF signals from both areas.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

How about Mare Island?  (My Grandfather worked there.)   Is it still in good enough shape to become a quarentine facility?

I think they have redeveloped it or in the process of redeveloping it. I keep meaning to go visit as it is an interesting location.

Edited by brisalta

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

I don't think Mare Island can handle a ship the size of the Grand. I doubt the Napa River has been maintained to accommodate a 9 meter draught anyway.

Are there any working piers left at Mare Island?

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

I don't think so. Anyway, everything is 2 or 3 meters deep around there. No way Grand is doing that.

I did a search and it seems the only piers there are for marinas. Though there may be a Coast Guard pier I missed but that would be too short.

Edited by brisalta

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

Following is from https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-07/spread-of-coronavirus-on-grand-princess-ship-raises-public-health-alarms

March 7, 2020
3:30 PM

A California man who died of the novel coronavirus brought it on board the Grand Princess cruise ship, officials said Saturday, suggesting the virus has been in the state much longer than originally believed.

Dr. Grant Tarling, the cruise’s medical officer, said the man — who later died in Placer County after leaving the cruise — sought medical care on the ship Feb. 20 and had been sick for several days. Tarling said two waiters who served the man multiple times were subsequently infected.

54 minutes ago, BballinQT24 said:

Something to keep in mind is that COVID19 tests in the US have thus far be very limited as to who is able to actually get them, so the numbers of infected are misleading and likely much higher than they appear. I kind of feel like the cruise industry is being made a scapegoat and the companies are having to take a lot of blame. The same crew is dealing with guests during the asymptomatic period, but hows that different than a land based restaurant employee who may have been unknowingly exposed serving people? If people aren’t being tested to know they have COVID19 it can be unknowingly spread anywhere. 

This has all been handled very poorly but I don’t feel like all of that blame should be on Princess. From the bits I listened to of the phone interview someone upthread posted, it sounded like Princess has been in limbo about what’s going on with the Grand because they’re waiting on word from the authorities. 

The posts above highlight the consequences of the failure to test people in the US. A sick man boarded the Grand Princess and infected (potentially many) others, some of whom may well end up adding to the mortality count. We don't know people are sick, because we do not have tests or testing protocols in place. It certainly is not Princess's fault.

But somehow we don't have the test kits to test people and, what's more, top administration officials have made it clear that they would prefer to keep the numbers low and that testing people is not a major priority in the plan (if there is one) to contain the virus' spread in the US.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

My sister was also on the Ruby. She disembarked after being checked by Australian authorities. They had the entire ship go through a check before disembarking. My sister is now having a picnic on the beach. Patience is needed for everyone right now. 

We are waiting to see what happens with our 3-22 cruise on the Grand. Positive it will be canceled. Since it’s a move over cruise, we have to let princess take the lead. 

Cheers, Denise 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The posts above highlight the consequences of the failure to test people in the US. A sick man boarded the Grand Princess and infected (potentially many) others, some of whom may well end up adding to the mortality count. We don't know people are sick, because we do not have tests or testing protocols in place. It certainly is not Princess's fault.

Based on when the man showed symptoms, there is no way at embarkation it could have been determined that he had been infected with the virus.

None of the newly proposed protocols can detect the virus in someone who had become infected but is not in any outward way is indicating illness and even if tested would have been negative at that time.

• Like 6

And from the Princess Chief Medical Officer:

Tarling also said the company would advise its passengers to practice social distancing, such as sitting at least one seat away from their dining companions.

"It’s all being done fleet-wide," he said. "We’ve adopted these measures throughout our entire fleet."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/07/coronavirus-california-passenger-brought-virus-princess-cruise/4986296002/

5 minutes ago, caribill said:

And from the Princess Chief Medical Officer:

Tarling also said the company would advise its passengers to practice social distancing, such as sitting at least one seat away from their dining companions.

"It’s all being done fleet-wide," he said. "We’ve adopted these measures throughout our entire fleet."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/07/coronavirus-california-passenger-brought-virus-princess-cruise/4986296002/

Unless the ships are running at 50% capcity that seems like a stretch?

• Like 3