Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

11 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Watching CNN 🙂

9 minutes ago, marykay8 said:

she's about to go under the Bay Bridge....showing live on the right side of the screen on CNN....says "soon on CNN" so hopefully they switch over after the current segment.

Watching on local stations.  
such a picture perfect day under sad circumstances... 

4575FFC0-505B-4F98-9E1E-0E7305ABC982.jpeg

0A66AF32-63FD-4AA2-86F3-98247B1C2507.jpeg

• Like 2

The interviewed passengers on ABC7 KGO have all mentioned how strong and optimistic they are, and how pleased they are with the service they have had. It is so great to see their spirits in light of the current circumstances and I really wish them the absolute best in the weeks to come.

As wrongly timed this comment may be, and I do apologize if this comes off as crass, sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge and through the San Francisco Bay is truly an enchanting experience and I hope some of the passengers were able to somehow enjoy a little bit of it under such great weather to cap off this entire ordeal. Hoping many others in the future can continue to and healthily enjoy this privilege of sailing through the beauty of the bay.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, caribill said:

Compensation to Grand passengers is similar to what the Diamond passengers received:

Princess Cruises will refund the full cruise fare for every Grand Princess guest, in addition to air travel, hotel, ground transportation, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities and other items, save for jewelry and fine art. Guests will also not be charged for incidental charges accrued during their extra time aboard.

"Princess Cruises will also provide guests with a future cruise credit equal to the cruise fare paid for the voyage," according to a statement provided by Kamali on Monday. "Princess Cruises also confirmed that although all gratuities will be refunded back to guests the company will ensure crew members will receive their designated gratuities for the work performed." 

The cruise line delivered letters to their stateroom with refund-processing details.

above from https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/09/coronavirus-grand-princess-cruise-ship-disembarkation-process-passengers/4998726002/

Dang was alcohol free?   

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

The interviewed passengers on ABC7 KGO have all mentioned how strong and optimistic they are, and how pleased they are with the service they have had. It is so great to see their spirits in light of the current circumstances and I really wish them the absolute best in the weeks to come.

As wrongly timed this comment may be, and I do apologize if this comes off as crass, sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge and through the San Francisco Bay is truly an enchanting experience and I hope some of the passengers were able to somehow enjoy a little bit of it under such great weather to cap off this entire ordeal. Hoping many others in the future can continue to and healthily enjoy this privilege of sailing through the beauty of the bay.

As you can see, it is an absolutely gorgeous day here in the Bay Area.  I hope that seeing our beautiful Golden Gate (and land!) lifted the spirits of the passengers.  I have sailed many times under the Golden Gate and Bay Bridge (on a much smaller boat!), and it is something one never takes for granted.

Edited by ams cruiser
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Am I correct if they are the first cruise passengers in quite a long time to sail under the Bay Bridge?

Cruise ships don't ever go under the Bay Bridge because the only place on the other side is the Port of Oakland. And it is a cargo/container port without passenger facilities. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Cruise ships don't ever go under the Bay Bridge because the only place on the other side is the Port of Oakland. And it is a cargo/container port without passenger facilities. 

Although, if I’m not mistaken, one of the cruise ship dry dock locations for maintenance and upgrading is located beyond the bay bridge. Cruise ships getting refitted dock there, though of course there are no passengers aboard.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Am I correct if they are the first cruise passengers in quite a long time to sail under the Bay Bridge?

The only times I know of when cruise ships sailed under the Bay Bridge was when they were headed to dry dock at Pier 70, between Hunter's Point and Mission Bay.  There would not have been any passengers on them though.

I hope it is was a bit of a thrill and entertainment for the Grand's passengers today. Those out on balconies probably got some good pictures!

• Like 1

Just now, ams cruiser said:

The only times I know of when cruise ships sailed under the Bay Bridge was when they were headed to dry dock at Pier 70, between Hunter's Point and Mission Bay.  There would not have been any passengers on them though.

I hope it is was a bit of a thrill and entertainment for the Grand's passengers today. Those out on balconies probably got some good pictures!

I believe they did 🙂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Coralc said:

28 minutes ago, Buddy604 said:

Although, if I’m not mistaken, one of the cruise ship dry dock locations for maintenance and upgrading is located beyond the bay bridge. Cruise ships getting refitted dock there, though of course there are no passengers aboard.

San Francisco Dry Dock is south of the Bay Bridge in the "Dogpatch" area of SF.  While US yards are not attractive to cruise ships, the yard has done several cruise ship dockings in the past, most often the NCL Pride of America, which has to dock in US yards or pay a 50% customs duty on all work done.  The yard used to be owned by BAE, but was closed about 3-4 years ago, due to costs to repair the docks and remediate pollution issues.

• Like 4

Word of advice, if your cruise ship becomes news media attention, please do not be naked on your balcony...

I was watching the CBS news, and the helicopter circles around the ship every few minutes, and I had too see that naked man just as frequent...

I can't believe it's that warm in Oakland. It's 64 degree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Word of advice, if your cruise ship becomes news media attention, please do not be naked on your balcony...

I was watching the CBS news, and the helicopter circles around the ship every few minutes, and I had too see that naked man just as frequent...

I can't believe it's that warm in Oakland. It's 64 degree.

I blame the lack of laundry facilities 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

It was either 2005 or 6 we did a Coastal Cruise on RCL Vision of the Seas and we docked at pier 30-32 in SF, which is just south of the Bay Bridge. Back then Pier 35 was the main SF cruise pier and they did occasionally use pier 30-32 if they needed an overflow dock.  

• Thanks 1