Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

6 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

This is a disgrace, they should keep them in their cabins until they know the bus can depart, no excuse for this treatment. There had better at least be a bathroom on that bus. 

47 minutes ago, Shanlon42 said:

AND no reason to think all cruise lines will not  follow. they can't continue to risk these situations and the ships would be going out with few passengers. Glad they came to this conclusion.

Edited by kathy49
10 hours ago, caribill said:

And this is not Princess' fault. The entire evacuation and its procedures is being run by the US Government.

Not quite. The States are coodinating and executing their own activities as well. Hence you have California, Nevada and Texas securing transportation and setting up quarentine quarters within their States. 

16 hours ago, caribill said:

And this is not Princess' fault. The entire evacuation and its procedures is being run by the US Government.

Kind of hard to excuse Princess here. They transferred crew between ships after having 700 people get infected on one of their ships. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Kind of hard to excuse Princess here. They transferred crew between ships after having 700 people get infected on one of their ships. 

Seriously?  First of all, all cruiselines do this and next, all those crew members have tested negative?  How could anyone blame Princess for this?  

Just now, Cruise Raider said:

Seriously?  First of all, all cruiselines do this and next, all those crew members have tested negative?  How could anyone blame Princess for this?  

How stupid does a company have to be to transfer people between ships during a global outbreak? I am not saying that caused their situation. I am saying it was ridiculously bad forethought to do it.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

How stupid does a company have to be to transfer people between ships during a global outbreak? I am not saying that caused their situation. I am saying it was ridiculously bad forethought to do it.

Or passengers ... oh my!!  Really??  

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Because it's a needless risk.

If all the crew members who were transshipped were healthy, it's just blind luck.

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The three people were transferred before there was any knowledge of virus infection on the Grand Princess.

Yes, there had been the outbreak on the Diamond far across the globe, but there was no reason to suspect a problem on the Grand at the time.

I think Princess, for whatever reason, has had the worst brunt of this thing.  But I think they are doing things right now and that their offers to those with cancelled cruises are very generous. I also don't blame them for the evac and quarantine problems with the DP as that seems to be something not run by them.  

15 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The reason that 700 people got infected on the Diamond Princess is because the Japanese Government mandated that healthy passengers remain in close quarters with infected ones.  I don't recall seeing that any Diamond Princess crew members were transferred anywhere.  I don't see the validity of your point.

I just got a voicemail from one of our crew members friends onboard. He said they had a meeting with the HGM today and they were told they wouldn’t receive 2 months pay like the Diamond crew did. They all believed they were but now it looks like not. Crew is also under the impression they won’t be tested and will be put on commercial flights home beginning tomorrow. Sure hope that’s not the case.

6 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I just got a voicemail from one of our crew members friends onboard. He said they had a meeting with the HGM today and they were told they wouldn’t receive 2 months pay like the Diamond crew did. They all believed they were but now it looks like not. Crew is also under the impression they won’t be tested and will be put on commercial flights home beginning tomorrow. Sure hope that’s not the case.

HGM ??

51 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I just got a voicemail from one of our crew members friends onboard. He said they had a meeting with the HGM today and they were told they wouldn’t receive 2 months pay like the Diamond crew did.

That is sad but not unexpected.  Princess is not sending ships anywhere for awhile so I posted earlier I thought they would lay off many, many people. There will be unemployed people from the US and other countries in many, many places that rely on the vacation business as people may not switch and take a plane to those locations instead of a cruise ship...the cruise was an essential part of the vacation.  Unfortunately I don't think there is any turning back now if the world looks very different in 30 days. 

7 hours ago, idahospud said:

I wouldn't have thought the US authorities would let them fly home on commercial flights without testing them. If the passengers were not allowed to, then surely it would be the same rules for the crew. They could be carrying the virus through airports and onto aircraft. 

3 minutes ago, debsjc said:

I wouldn't have thought the US authorities would let them fly home on commercial flights without testing them. If the passengers were not allowed to, then surely it would be the same rules for the crew. They could be carrying the virus through airports and onto aircraft. 

I know right? I heard from him again this evening and he sounded just as frustrated. They aren’t being told much of anything. He said some crew are completely packed and have all their signing off paperwork and passports put together in the crew office. He’s all packed but doesn’t know if they’ve pulled his passport or put together his signing off paperwork or not. He did hear the Philippine government is sending a plane to pick up those crew up tomorrow. I can’t imagine all countries represented on the ship will be sending planes.