Jump to content

Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)


4cats4me
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Kind of hard to excuse Princess here. They transferred crew between ships after having 700 people get infected on one of their ships. 

 

The three people were transferred before there was any knowledge of virus infection on the Grand Princess.

 

Yes, there had been the outbreak on the Diamond far across the globe, but there was no reason to suspect a problem on the Grand at the time.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Princess, for whatever reason, has had the worst brunt of this thing.  But I think they are doing things right now and that their offers to those with cancelled cruises are very generous. I also don't blame them for the evac and quarantine problems with the DP as that seems to be something not run by them.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Kind of hard to excuse Princess here. They transferred crew between ships after having 700 people get infected on one of their ships. 

The reason that 700 people got infected on the Diamond Princess is because the Japanese Government mandated that healthy passengers remain in close quarters with infected ones.  I don't recall seeing that any Diamond Princess crew members were transferred anywhere.  I don't see the validity of your point.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got a voicemail from one of our crew members friends onboard. He said they had a meeting with the HGM today and they were told they wouldn’t receive 2 months pay like the Diamond crew did. They all believed they were but now it looks like not. Crew is also under the impression they won’t be tested and will be put on commercial flights home beginning tomorrow. Sure hope that’s not the case.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I just got a voicemail from one of our crew members friends onboard. He said they had a meeting with the HGM today and they were told they wouldn’t receive 2 months pay like the Diamond crew did. They all believed they were but now it looks like not. Crew is also under the impression they won’t be tested and will be put on commercial flights home beginning tomorrow. Sure hope that’s not the case.

 

HGM ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

51 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I just got a voicemail from one of our crew members friends onboard. He said they had a meeting with the HGM today and they were told they wouldn’t receive 2 months pay like the Diamond crew did.

That is sad but not unexpected.  Princess is not sending ships anywhere for awhile so I posted earlier I thought they would lay off many, many people. There will be unemployed people from the US and other countries in many, many places that rely on the vacation business as people may not switch and take a plane to those locations instead of a cruise ship...the cruise was an essential part of the vacation.  Unfortunately I don't think there is any turning back now if the world looks very different in 30 days. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, idahospud said:

I just got a voicemail from one of our crew members friends onboard. He said they had a meeting with the HGM today and they were told they wouldn’t receive 2 months pay like the Diamond crew did. They all believed they were but now it looks like not. Crew is also under the impression they won’t be tested and will be put on commercial flights home beginning tomorrow. Sure hope that’s not the case.

 

I wouldn't have thought the US authorities would let them fly home on commercial flights without testing them. If the passengers were not allowed to, then surely it would be the same rules for the crew. They could be carrying the virus through airports and onto aircraft. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, debsjc said:

 

I wouldn't have thought the US authorities would let them fly home on commercial flights without testing them. If the passengers were not allowed to, then surely it would be the same rules for the crew. They could be carrying the virus through airports and onto aircraft. 

I know right? I heard from him again this evening and he sounded just as frustrated. They aren’t being told much of anything. He said some crew are completely packed and have all their signing off paperwork and passports put together in the crew office. He’s all packed but doesn’t know if they’ve pulled his passport or put together his signing off paperwork or not. He did hear the Philippine government is sending a plane to pick up those crew up tomorrow. I can’t imagine all countries represented on the ship will be sending planes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2020 at 12:24 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

I think Princess, for whatever reason, has had the worst brunt of this thing.  But I think they are doing things right now and that their offers to those with cancelled cruises are very generous. I also don't blame them for the evac and quarantine problems with the DP as that seems to be something not run by them.  

 

Are they doing the right thing for the crew of Grand?

(especially those who are already tested positive)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Can someone conform the location where 19 crew members who were tested positive are kept?

 

Most media reports as well posts on this board seem to indicate they were one of the first people taken off the ship.

 

Subsequent reporting (SF cbslocal, time, BusinessInsider)  seem to indicate that Trump admin will not let them be taken to any medical facility off the ship and those 19 sick crew members are still on board.

 

Which of the two stories is the correct one?

Edited by hal2008
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, hal2008 said:

 

Can someone conform the location where 19 crew members who were tested positive are kept?

 

Most media reports as well posts on this board seem to indicate they were one of the first people taken off the ship.

 

Subsequent reporting (SF cbslocal, time, BusinessInsider)  seem to indicate that Trump admin will not let them be taken to any medical facility off the ship and those 19 sick crew members are still on board.

 

Which of the two stories is the correct one?

 

Anyone has info on the above?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just because you are positive does not mean you need medical care.  Most, especially the young will experience nothing more than mild symptoms.

Why do you want them moved to a medical facility to occupy a bed that is needed by someone that actually needs medical services.

There is NO treatment form this virus...medical services are only needed by those that can not breathe on their own.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the Princess site:

Updated March 15, 2020 3:40PM PT

Grand Princess Update

The U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the State of California, the City of Oakland, and the Port of San Francisco have coordinated on a plan to disembark and repatriate Grand Princess crew members via charter flights. This humanitarian effort is applauded by Princess for its intent to assist crew members, not required for the safe operation of the ship, allowing them to return to their home countries. Princess Cruises has committed to pay for the ground transportation and charter flight costs.

The crew members disembarking undergo the same health screenings as guests from the ship, which continues to be managed by HHS and CDC health authorities. Crew members who are ill (for any reason) or symptomatic will not be allowed to fly via charter aircraft. Crew members who are not symptomatic but for whom no charter flight is currently available will stay under quarantine on the ship. Those requiring elevated care will be moved to land-based medical facilities or HHS alternate care sites, depending upon their condition.

This repatriation process has been extremely challenging due to the dynamic nature of the expanding and evolving air travel restrictions throughout the world. Princess Cruises appreciates the cooperation of the federal agencies along with state and local resources who have helped facilitate the disembarkation of crew members for humanitarian reasons and provide appropriate care under HHS and CDC health authority guidelines.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/grand-princess-updates.html

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, debsjc said:

When the 'Hot Chicken' ladies did their last update on Thursday, they were also not being tested. They were in quarantine at Mirarmar, and as far as they were aware no plans to test them. 

 

I don't really follow individuals on any social media site but, learned a bit from an infectious disease doc and a microbiologist recently.  For those not showing symptoms, they may not test positive even though they are carrying the coronavirus.  With the limited testing availability, wouldn't it be better to test those not showing symptoms just before their quarantine is over rather than test them every day while asymptomatic, which could possibly produce a false negative.  We have to use the limited resources wisely at this time.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, debsjc said:

When the 'Hot Chicken' ladies did their last update on Thursday, they were also not being tested. They were in quarantine at Mirarmar, and as far as they were aware no plans to test them. 

Usually in quarantine they will only be tested if they show symptoms and/or  just before the end of quarantine prior to being released.  That is what they have done with previous groups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...