Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

On 3/13/2020 at 12:24 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

I think Princess, for whatever reason, has had the worst brunt of this thing.  But I think they are doing things right now and that their offers to those with cancelled cruises are very generous. I also don't blame them for the evac and quarantine problems with the DP as that seems to be something not run by them.  

Are they doing the right thing for the crew of Grand?

(especially those who are already tested positive)

Can someone conform the location where 19 crew members who were tested positive are kept?

Most media reports as well posts on this board seem to indicate they were one of the first people taken off the ship.

Subsequent reporting (SF cbslocal, time, BusinessInsider)  seem to indicate that Trump admin will not let them be taken to any medical facility off the ship and those 19 sick crew members are still on board.

Which of the two stories is the correct one?

Edited by hal2008

When the 'Hot Chicken' ladies did their last update on Thursday, they were also not being tested. They were in quarantine at Mirarmar, and as far as they were aware no plans to test them. 

Kind of hard to excuse Princess here. They transferred crew between ships after having 700 people get infected on one of their ships. 

Infected or exposed?

There is a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
34 minutes ago, dan4182 said:

Infected or exposed?

There is a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Infected. 3,000+ people exposed, 700 infected. I'm assuming this is in reference to Diamond Princess. 

Poor ladies say they were exposed to positive people on the bus and airplane. Very sad situation. They still have not received their test results and so far 4 people have tested positive at Miramar.

On 3/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, hal2008 said:

Can someone conform the location where 19 crew members who were tested positive are kept?

Most media reports as well posts on this board seem to indicate they were one of the first people taken off the ship.

Subsequent reporting (SF cbslocal, time, BusinessInsider)  seem to indicate that Trump admin will not let them be taken to any medical facility off the ship and those 19 sick crew members are still on board.

Which of the two stories is the correct one?

Anyone has info on the above?

Just because you are positive does not mean you need medical care.  Most, especially the young will experience nothing more than mild symptoms.

Why do you want them moved to a medical facility to occupy a bed that is needed by someone that actually needs medical services.

There is NO treatment form this virus...medical services are only needed by those that can not breathe on their own.

From the Princess site:

Updated March 15, 2020 3:40PM PT

Grand Princess Update

The U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the State of California, the City of Oakland, and the Port of San Francisco have coordinated on a plan to disembark and repatriate Grand Princess crew members via charter flights. This humanitarian effort is applauded by Princess for its intent to assist crew members, not required for the safe operation of the ship, allowing them to return to their home countries. Princess Cruises has committed to pay for the ground transportation and charter flight costs.

The crew members disembarking undergo the same health screenings as guests from the ship, which continues to be managed by HHS and CDC health authorities. Crew members who are ill (for any reason) or symptomatic will not be allowed to fly via charter aircraft. Crew members who are not symptomatic but for whom no charter flight is currently available will stay under quarantine on the ship. Those requiring elevated care will be moved to land-based medical facilities or HHS alternate care sites, depending upon their condition.

This repatriation process has been extremely challenging due to the dynamic nature of the expanding and evolving air travel restrictions throughout the world. Princess Cruises appreciates the cooperation of the federal agencies along with state and local resources who have helped facilitate the disembarkation of crew members for humanitarian reasons and provide appropriate care under HHS and CDC health authority guidelines.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/grand-princess-updates.html

On 3/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, debsjc said:

When the 'Hot Chicken' ladies did their last update on Thursday, they were also not being tested. They were in quarantine at Mirarmar, and as far as they were aware no plans to test them. 

I don't really follow individuals on any social media site but, learned a bit from an infectious disease doc and a microbiologist recently.  For those not showing symptoms, they may not test positive even though they are carrying the coronavirus.  With the limited testing availability, wouldn't it be better to test those not showing symptoms just before their quarantine is over rather than test them every day while asymptomatic, which could possibly produce a false negative.  We have to use the limited resources wisely at this time.  

On 3/14/2020 at 1:50 AM, debsjc said:

Usually in quarantine they will only be tested if they show symptoms and/or  just before the end of quarantine prior to being released.  That is what they have done with previous groups.

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Very sad. My favorite ship. Sailed on its second Voyage in 1998 to the Baltics. The Michael Angelo Dining room....

Coming back from my shopping trip today as I drove up the overlook I saw the Grand Princess laying at anchor in the anchorage C6.

A very fine looking ship she still is. All the best to the crew that have gone home and the crew that are still manning her.

Yes, she is a GRAND ship and we will miss her.  Fran and I have cruise on her 26 times and have made wonderful Crew/friends for life.  Two wrote saying the Philippines are in-home Quarantine until April 12.  Supermarkets are empty and people buying everything.  Sounds like us here.  Be vigilant, we'll make it and we will be Stronger.   

Edited by Gimer
6 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Has there been an update to number of Grand people testing positive since the original 22 ?

i read on shipmate from a gent names raomantikcruiser who is at Travis that at their townhall meeting they had the other day they are saying of the 4000 only 37 were positive

On 3/18/2020 at 1:38 PM, Tedferg said:

Has there been an update to number of Grand people testing positive since the original 22 ?

Public Health Agency of Canada said in a statement “there are 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19 at CFB Trenton within the quarantine area. All individuals who tested positive and any close contacts will remain in isolation.”

There are 200+ in quarantine.

Could that 1 death be the original passenger who died in Placer county?  As it is only showing 22 positive...there was the 1 gentleman who died which began the quarantine of the ship and 21 when it docked.