Cruise Critic Community
4cats4me

Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

Posted (edited)

Or a death from a Grand Princess passenger. Princess did not cause the pandemic. It doesn't even seem right that someone can sue them for having the global pandemic affect passengers

Edited by Ombud

15 hours ago, Wizpharm2 said:

This website is reporting a death.

6F7E7289-1DC8-406A-ABCB-D096B9DE5813.png

15 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Could that 1 death be the original passenger who died in Placer county?  As it is only showing 22 positive...there was the 1 gentleman who died which began the quarantine of the ship and 21 when it docked. 

I live in Contra Costa County, across the bay from SF, and they’ve announced The first death today In our county from Covid. 
I know that we had some passengers from the Diamond in our hospitals that had been transferred from Travis AFB. 
It’s quite possible we could have passengers from the Grand here, too, especially since Oakland/Alameda County is not too far away.

2 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

I live in Contra Costa County, across the bay from SF, and they’ve announced The first death today In our county from Covid. 
I know that we had some passengers from the Diamond in our hospitals that had been transferred from Travis AFB. 
It’s quite possible we could have passengers from the Grand here, too, especially since Oakland/Alameda County is not too far away.

Sadly you are obsessing over the tip of the iceberg, there will be thousands of deaths in CA in a month or so, hopefully the shelter at home will cases and deaths to roll over in four weeks, but I expect cases to climb for another three weeks and deaths to grow for another 5 weeks.   

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Sadly you are obsessing over the tip of the iceberg, there will be thousands of deaths in CA in a month or so, hopefully the shelter at home will cases and deaths to roll over in four weeks, but I expect cases to climb for another three weeks and deaths to grow for another 5 weeks.   

If this makes it's way in to the homeless population or infects the immune compromised then possibly yes.

11 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

If this makes it's way in to the homeless population or infects the immune compromised then possibly yes.

covid_03_18_2020.JPG

COVID19 Genitic mutations.JPG

1 hour ago, need2cruisesoon said:

If this makes it's way in to the homeless population.

Only a matter of time and really surprised it is not there already.

Of course it may be there already and they decided not to report any of it.

Posted (edited)

Interesting article regarding passengers choosing not to be tested  https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEN0qPv-qPtBHbPkvKChqWfYqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowhK-LAjD4ySww69W0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Last report I read said there were 19 from the ship (up from 2) currently in Monterey at Asilomar CA state conference grounds.

ETA link & it looks like there are now 21 at Asilomar https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/18/21-passengers-now-at-asilomar-showing-mild-symptoms-of-covid-19/

Officials won’t confirm it - but it appears they’ve chosen to house COVID-19 positives not needing hospital care from the ship at Asilomar. They’ve fenced off part of the grounds.

Edited by sndral

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, sndral said:

Interesting article regarding passengers choosing not to be tested  https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEN0qPv-qPtBHbPkvKChqWfYqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowhK-LAjD4ySww69W0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Last report I read said there were 19 from the ship (up from 2) currently in Monterey at Asilomar CA state conference grounds.

ETA link & it looks like there are now 21 at Asilomar https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/18/21-passengers-now-at-asilomar-showing-mild-symptoms-of-covid-19/

Officials won’t confirm it - but it appears they’ve chosen to house COVID-19 positives not needing hospital care from the ship at Asilomar. They’ve fenced off part of the grounds.

I can't say if I blame them.  There are many many many people in the Bay Area now that are walking around that would test positive.  Since, there is is 'shelter in place' order, there's really  not a lot of places to go around infecting others anyway.  Even the hospitals and medical centers are sending patients that have tested positive but not sick enough for hospitalization home for self isolation.  These people are asymptomatic and just want to go home.  I'm pretty sure they are no more of a threat than our neighbors in the community.  I am referring to those asymptomatic patients that don't want to be tested.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can't say if I blame them.  There are many many many people in the Bay Area now that are walking around that would test positive.  Since, there is is 'shelter in place' order, there's really  not a lot of places to go around infecting others anyway.  Even the hospitals and medical centers are sending patients that have tested positive but not sick enough for hospitalization home for self isolation.  These people are asymptomatic and just want to go home.  I'm pretty sure they are no more of a threat than our neighbors in the community.  I am referring to those asymptomatic patients that don't want to be tested.  

Testing w/o a comprehensive system of containment is just statistics for the sake of statistics.  The news media is fascinated with the growing number ( not a surprise ), kits are become more numerous and most people lining up are probably higher probability for positive as they have either symptoms or contact that makes them wait in those crazy queues.

Sadly US has neither the number of tests nor any central controlled methodology for testing, follow-up, containment like being so effectively implemented in So Korea, Taiwan and Singapore.    

But there will be very simple statistic that will be used in three weeks, deaths, similar to Italy.   Expect also very high death rates as the testing will be focused on the most ill/worried/highest risk and not systematic across a larger sampling of those at risk to have gotten it or transmitting it.  

Sad, as the richest country we have the poorest response and preparedness. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sndral said:

There are also a number at an hotel in San Carlos, California.

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/coronavirus/owner-of-san-carlos-hotel-housing-cruise-ship-passengers-offered/article_a7ba17ac-64e3-11ea-ad09-2701172a591a.html

Edited by brisalta

35 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Testing w/o a comprehensive system of containment is just statistics for the sake of statistics.  The news media is fascinated with the growing number ( not a surprise ), kits are become more numerous and most people lining up are probably higher probability for positive as they have either symptoms or contact that makes them wait in those crazy queues.

Sadly US has neither the number of tests nor any central controlled methodology for testing, follow-up, containment like being so effectively implemented in So Korea, Taiwan and Singapore.    

But there will be very simple statistic that will be used in three weeks, deaths, similar to Italy.   Expect also very high death rates as the testing will be focused on the most ill/worried/highest risk and not systematic across a larger sampling of those at risk to have gotten it or transmitting it.  

Sad, as the richest country we have the poorest response and preparedness. 

Without testing you cannot do any decent tracing of contacts or statistics for prediction based planning.

10 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I am not obsessing over anything.  I merely replied to someone else’s post.  

As an aside, I am on day four of sheltering, since we were all put under a shelter in place on Monday, until it went statewide yesterday. 

6 hours ago, sndral said:

Unless there are symptoms, testing in the middle of a two week quarantine is meaningless.

The only way to be sure symptomless people do not have the virus is to test them at the end of the 14 day period by which it is assumed a negative test at that time means the person is not infected.

Testing earlier in the 14 day period when the virus might not be able to be detected is no guarantee of a virus free individual at the end of the two weeks.

It would mean that persons so tested will have to stay in quarantine until the test results are back. This could mean an extra day or two before being able to return home.

-------

Americans returning home from another cruise ship (not Princess) were subjected to many of the same problems that occurred when the Diamond Princess Americans were flown back to the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/world/coronavirus-news-usa-world.html#link-66bd4fa7

It's 10 days now since 228 Grand Princess guests were quarantined at Canadian Forces Base Trenton.  Today an additional infected case was reported bringing the total infected to 13 so far.  It's getting close to the end of the 14-day quarantine so hopefully there will be no more positive cases.

Isn't it a double standard that these cruise guests are subjected to strict quarantine while passengers entering through airports and land crossings at that same time are just told to self monitor for 14 days and able to transmit infections into the community that have since been confirmed by tracing of cases.  

15 hours ago, lazybummer said:

Isn't it a double standard that these cruise guests are subjected to strict quarantine while passengers entering through airports and land crossings at that same time are just told to self monitor for 14 days and able to transmit infections into the community that have since been confirmed by tracing of cases.  

It sure seems to be a double standard.  Just note they are positive and allow them to go home for self quarantine.  That's what all the medical centers and hospitals seem to be doing when they identify a case of someone that tests positive but is not ill enough to be hospitalized.  

We live close enough to the port of San Francisco that if we could somehow arrange transportation home without infecting anyone else, we'd stay in our home for the required for quarantine.  Heck, we have a shelter in place order in the entire Bay Area and haven't stepped foot out of our house (except the backyard) in two weeks.  I think it would be cheaper for Princess, their insurance company or the government (or whomever is footing this bill) to arrange secured transportation for these passengers to get home, especially if they live near the port...heck, we'd even pay for that.  While we are not close enough to just walk home, we certainly could get here within a 30 minute drive.  I would think that hiring a driver for that ride home would be a lot less costly than what is being paid out to keep them all in quarantine for two weeks.  

19 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

CNN is reporting two deaths from the ship.

From the Grand Princess?

1 minute ago, #55worktoplay said:

Yes it was on the CNN website yesterday 

Thanks. I will look it up. Was considering booking a future cruise on the Grand for Europe. Have sailed her before. Like to keep up to date   

On 3/20/2020 at 6:04 PM, sndral said:

A travesty of huge proportions.  Selffish people on Grand refusing to be tested.  Unbelievable!  Other reporting indicating that about 800 people refused, some citing that if they tested positive they would have to go through another 14-day quarantine.  Instead they chose to head to the fours winds and potentially infect family, friends and others in their local communities.  Unbelievable!  Typical cruisers?  Thinking only of themselves?  Results of those who were tested indicates that infection rate is around ten percent (and likely higher since the 14-day period is only an estimated benchmark - some medical folks saying that it should be 24 days and that doesn't count asymptomatic carriers.  Testing should have been mandatory with mandatory quarantine if positive.  This is the reason COVID-19 will overwhelm America, our health system (it already has), and our divisiveness.  

40 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

A travesty of huge proportions.  Selffish people on Grand refusing to be tested.  Unbelievable!  Other reporting indicating that about 800 people refused, some citing that if they tested positive they would have to go through another 14-day quarantine.  Instead they chose to head to the fours winds and potentially infect family, friends and others in their local communities.  Unbelievable!  Typical cruisers?  Thinking only of themselves?  Results of those who were tested indicates that infection rate is around ten percent (and likely higher since the 14-day period is only an estimated benchmark - some medical folks saying that it should be 24 days and that doesn't count asymptomatic carriers.  Testing should have been mandatory with mandatory quarantine if positive.  This is the reason COVID-19 will overwhelm America, our health system (it already has), and our divisiveness.  

People will always want to look for a villain when something tragic occurs. Are we really interested in villainizing people who were scared for their lives and just wanted to get off the Grand?  Given that the virus was more prevalent on cruise ships sailing the Pacific Ocean, why is it that the North American epicenter is New York City - a city on the Atlantic Ocean?  It's not likely that the untested people from the Grand all traveled to the five boroughs of NYC right after getting off the Grand.  The media has made it look as if the virus originated on cruise ships and that those passengers are the villains responsible for spreading the disease.  By the way, there are no quarantine internment camps on the East Coast.  Why does the West coast have mandatory interment camps for cruise ship passengers?  How many passengers were required to be tested when they landed at LAX, SFO or Sea-Tac?

50 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

I have been following one of the gentleman who refused to test...he said the reasoning behind it was that they did not come around to test them the entire time until 1 or 2 days before they were set to leave and were told they would have to wait for the tests...majority lived in Bay area which is already on a lockdown so they would be going home to essentially shelter at home and be in a quarantine but now have control over their lives of what they ate when they ate and have some semblance of a normal life....How about all the folks coming back off planes not being tested AT ALL.....just told to go home and self isolate...or the several other cruise lines that have had people arrive...MSC Mervalgia (SP?) arrived in Miami last week HAD POSITIVE passengers ALL were allowed off and told to go home.......I agree we need to stop the spread but either treat each person the same ie..cdc quarantine like at Travis or allow them all to go home like they are currently doing for US citizens coming home from abroad and other ships that are/were pulling in after the global pause in sailing...no reason 1 ship of passengers should be treated differently...not to mention they were already on the ship for 15 days then in quarantine at Travis another 14 

11 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

People will always want to look for a villain when something tragic occurs. Are we really interested in villainizing people who were scared for their lives and just wanted to get off the Grand?  Given that the virus was more prevalent on cruise ships sailing the Pacific Ocean, why is it that the North American epicenter is New York City - a city on the Atlantic Ocean?  It's not likely that the untested people from the Grand all traveled to the five boroughs of NYC right after getting off the Grand.  The media has made it look as if the virus originated on cruise ships and that those passengers are the villains responsible for spreading the disease.  By the way, there are no quarantine internment camps on the East Coast.  Why does the West coast have mandatory interment camps for cruise ship passengers?  How many passengers were required to be tested when they landed at LAX, SFO or Sea-Tac?

10 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I have been following one of the gentleman who refused to test...he said the reasoning behind it was that they did not come around to test them the entire time until 1 or 2 days before they were set to leave and were told they would have to wait for the tests...majority lived in Bay area which is already on a lockdown so they would be going home to essentially shelter at home and be in a quarantine but now have control over their lives of what they ate when they ate and have some semblance of a normal life....How about all the folks coming back off planes not being tested AT ALL.....just told to go home and self isolate...or the several other cruise lines that have had people arrive...MSC Mervalgia (SP?) arrived in Miami last week HAD POSITIVE passengers ALL were allowed off and told to go home.......I agree we need to stop the spread but either treat each person the same ie..cdc quarantine like at Travis or allow them all to go home like they are currently doing for US citizens coming home from abroad and other ships that are/were pulling in after the global pause in sailing...no reason 1 ship of passengers should be treated differently...not to mention they were already on the ship for 15 days then in quarantine at Travis another 14 

Ride the waves, you’re overreacting, since we are ALL on lockdown anyway here in CA, and especially in the BAY AREA.  The virus is everywhere, thus, unavoidable.  To demonize those who were on the Grand for not taking a test is unfair, and quite frankly, at this point is pointless, since we’re probably all infected or will be in the next few weeks. 

Cruzerbouchua and Daniel A, you both speak the truth.