Insurance when you turn 75

jhenry1

We have always had MED JET insurance along with other travel insurance that we purchase for our cruises. We have never filed a claim so we have been very lucky.  My husband turned 75 and I contacted Med Jet about continuing the insurance.  It is now a big deal as every year you have to fill out a questionnaire regarding your health and it not only includes the previous year but for the previous 5 years.  Also need to get a form signed by all the doctors you might have seen over that period for any health issues.  This is a lot of trouble to do every year to be approved.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for this type of insurance like Med Jet?  I would appreciate any input on this topic.

I feel the pain . When I went to my Primary Care Physician to sign the questionnaire from MedJet he would not sign because I was being watched for a very minor issue that would not prevent me from travel. TMI, anyway we singed up for GeoGlue. It's not the same but the best we could do.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com

They told me yesterday that he would have to fill out every year.  I will check again with them.

Captjohn I believe you guys are on our cruise to Africa on Dec 8. I will check into into the Geo insurance.

55 minutes ago, jhenry1 said:

They told me yesterday that he would have to fill out every year.  I will check again with them.

Captjohn I believe you guys are on our cruise to Africa on Dec 8. I will check into into the Geo insurance.

Yes, we will on that cruise with you. . Are you looking at the shore excursions ? We looked at them yesterday and picked them out. Did you see the " Overland " tour ? We can't do it because we depart the ship on the 7th.

Let us know what your thoughts on GeoBlue. In addiction to Geo we have the Chase Sapphire Reserve CC with it's benefits.

I have looked at them but those are only the ones they have had in the past.  Most of the time they remain the same.  We are doing a pre cruise Safari and then doing the post cruise they offered free the winelands and Cape Town so we are hoping to fly home on the evening of the 25 Christmas Day but the tour is officially over on the 26 but on the 25 all there is  a Christmas Dinner. Hopefully Regent will be willing to transfer us to the airport but maybe not since it is Christmas Day.  We can just schedule a taxi.  We fly out on Dec 3 

I would be interested to hear from someone who has actually be evacuated by MedJet or other from a distant destination due to a serious illness.  Although our travel coverage does include some sort of evac., I can't help but think getting good care in the country where you are would be better than getting transported halfway around the world?  I guess in the case where serious surgery is required, with recovery time might make sense, i.e., getting evac'ed home after you recovery?  Guess I just don't get it.

Most of those insurances not only cover medical evacuations but also getting your remains returned to your home in the case of death.  Some where I have read on these boards about someone being evacuated.  Sometimes I think it just gives a person piece of mind.  I hope we would never have to use it but who knows.  I found a policy that you purchase every time you leave the country called International SOS for around 350 for 2 people age 75.  It only covers the evacuation and nothing else.  Wondering if anyone knows about this policy?

I am beginning to think that purchasing a policy that includes evacuation with a larger limit might be better? Any thoughts on that?

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Although our travel coverage does include some sort of evac., I can't help but think getting good care in the country where you are would be better than getting transported halfway around the world? 

Yes, "getting good care" is the idea, but unfortunately in some countries their definition of good care doesn't equate to much.  We would rather go where we have more positive thoughts about our treatment.

AMEX Platinum will make arrangements but you are responsible for the charges. International medical evacuation can exceed $100,000.00, which is why I have MedJet Assist.  They require you be hospitalized and have a accepting hospital and the evacuation charges are covered by the policy. The policy covers you domestically and internationally as long as you are 50 miles from your home of record and are hospitalized. They will not evacuate you from a ship;  I carry additional medical evacuation insurance, but this coverage is via reimbursement. Med Jet Assist does not cover medical costs so additional insurance is required for hospital and physician charges  Neither my husband or I have reached 75 and I’ve always wondered what changes at that age. Now I know.

Wendy, when I was working we had colleagues that got very sick or injured in India, China, and Africa. After seeing pictures of the hospitals in some of these remote areas, it was necessary to transport them to large urban hospitals with appropriate sanitary standards and excellent doctors. While it is likely a rare occurrence it does happen. 

As long as you visit your doctor from time to time you should be alright. Usually the doctor leaves some kind of a mark in your “medical book”. When you apply for insurance they look into the history of your state of health and offer you the optimal deal. I am not sure that you have to visit them that often just for insurance purposes