Cruise Critic Community
mr. godfredo

HAL Flight Ease Air

My wife and I are currently booked on the June 20th sailing of the Zuiderdam from Rome to Copenhagen. We have booked our flights through Flight Ease with HAL and got a great price. My question is, if for some reason HAL decides to change the port of embarkation (due to Corona Virus) will HAL see to it that we get there or will we have to rebook our flights? I have seen on our roll call page that some are cancelling the trip, but I don't want to overreact until I have all the facts. We have a few weeks until our final payment is due so i have the gift of time to decide. 

Thats a good question and probably the best place to get an answer is the FlightEase agents. FlightEase will take care of getting you to the next port in the case of flight delays, but a change of embarkation port is a bit different. 

If it was me, I would be on the phone to the FlightEase folks to try and get a definitive answer. 

I would hope they would but communication isn’t always their strong point.  I’d be phoning FlightEase too like the previous poster suggested.  

Hoping it works out for you, but I'm a bit on the pessimistic side - my prediction is they'll allow you to change your flight for free, but actual ticket prices to the new port probably will be higher than your current pricing level.

23 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I would hope they would but communication isn’t always their strong point.  I’d be phoning FlightEase too like the previous poster suggested.  

Agree that communication is not always the best, but hopefully someone is starting to think about policies and will have some information for the customer facing folks. 

We have a cruise booked leaving Venice in September, and due current conditions we would like as much flexibility as possible in changing/cancelling our flights.  We have never used Flight Ease before, but now it looks very attractive. 

In the past few weeks, the price of flights on other websites (Orbitz, Kayak, etc.) have dropped incredibly.  For business class on major airlines, the price is half of what it was.  So we would like to book our plane tickets and lock in these low fares.  Flight Ease is even a couple hundred dollars cheaper and has the free change/cancellation which is great.  However, it also has the statement that fares are not guaranteed until final payment.

What is the experience of others...have you ever had to pay a higher fare than when you booked.  I can easily imagine if things return to normal in a couple months these prices are going to shoot back up and an airline is not going to be happy honoring the current low price at time of booking without payment, when they can get much more later.

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

In the past few weeks, the price of flights on other websites (Orbitz, Kayak, etc.) have dropped incredibly.  For business class on major airlines, the price is half of what it was.  So we would like to book our plane tickets and lock in these low fares.  Flight Ease is even a couple hundred dollars cheaper and has the free change/cancellation which is great.  However, it also has the statement that fares are not guaranteed until final payment.

I asked the same question of my TA (very experienced TA) who told me that in all her years, she has never seen anyone charged more than the price they booked.  I'm not certain but that language could refer to the fact that fares can change from day to day but not for flights previously booked.  FYI, you can book a flight and if the fare goes down you can cancel and rebook just like a cruise fare.  On a trip to Vancouver, I rebooked twice to save money and once to get better flight times.

We have used Flight Ease many times over the years, and we have never received a fare increase after booking, even 9 months out.   We have cancelled and rebooked for a lower fare, but you have to be sure there's a good number of seats available in the cabin class of your choice.   When you cancel, there may be a number of reservations ready to hop right into the seats you just vacated.   This applies especially in business/first class where some planes only have 10 - 20 front cabin seats.