Sky Princess-nice ship, but lacked evening music

dreaminofcruisin

Thank you for your review! We did miss Crooners on the Sky, but enjoyed the string quartet and the guitar/vocalist when we were on our cruise in February. Oh, and the Princess World Orchestra one night was fabulous!

Interesting reading, I'll have to see for myself, I'm on the Sky for 26 days in August.  I love Regal and Royal, I think it will be fine.  I've listened to various types of artists in the piazza, enjoy a string quartet, previous cruises on Royal have had the piano plus violin, which was very good, as well as piano/guitar.  Usually the Vista lounge has something, I've listened to music there.

I take longer cruises, Grand Adventures, maybe entertainment for more sea days is stepped up, I've never had an issue with it.

3 hours ago, Dawniepoo said:

I was on the same sailing. It was a fabulous cruise, and I agree with most of your points. As far as the entertainment goes, we did enjoy Trevor and his steel drums, but didn't catch much else. I agree about the Piazza though. On every one of our Royal class cruises, the dance classes in the Piazza would drive me nuts. All that counting!!!!!! 

I'm bringing noise isolation Airpod Pros to help deal with morning line dancing, zumba, or whatever in the Piazza.

4 hours ago, Dawniepoo said:

I was on the same sailing. It was a fabulous cruise, and I agree with most of your points. As far as the entertainment goes, we did enjoy Trevor and his steel drums, but didn't catch much else. I agree about the Piazza though. On every one of our Royal class cruises, the dance classes in the Piazza would drive me nuts. All that counting!!!!!! 

Trevor seemed to be the most overworked of the entertainers onboard the Sky .

If he wasn't playing his steel drum in the Piazza or somewhere , he was giving steel drum lessons .

• Like 1

Hmm that's a funny outlook about not enough music.  We found music every night in multiple places.  The Crown Grill lounge often had live music, Take 5 always had live music and there was music and dancing every night in the Piazza.  How much more music could there be before you'd lose your mind?  Our last Royal Caribbean cruise there was very loud music in most of the bars in the early evening. So loud you cannot really converse and seating was impossible to come by.  So we went a little nuts and had to hole up at the wine bar (no music) to have a relaxing pre-dinner drink. This was not preferred as we are cocktail people (and this bar was clearly not interested in making cocktails).  But we adapted. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Nancy we are still thinking of add another 10 days to are cruise. So we may still see you. I just hope that Princess has more entertainment later at night. I still don’t go to bed before 2:00a.m. Once a night owl always a night 🦉.

Tony

What in the world do you find to do on a Princess ship that late? I've been on cruises where they closed Skywalker's by midnight because nobody - other than me and the staff - was there. Night after night. Pretty much every Princess cruise we've been on the entire ship is like a morgue by midnight - often by 11:00 PM.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:51 PM, dreaminofcruisin said:

Amen many of us feel the same way

The Sky is a beautiful ship, but we missed the wrap-around promenade deck, the multiple venues in the evening providing entertainment (Wheelhouse, Crooners, Explorers Lounge, Skywalkers). If there is a choice, we will be booking on the older Grand class ships. However, itinerary is usually the most important---so our next cruise will be on the Regal---another “new to us” ship. I am hoping for a bit better evening entertainment in the lounges, but if not, our objective for that is mainly the itinerary with not many sea days, so I am sure we will have a good cruise.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

What in the world do you find to do on a Princess ship that late? I've been on cruises where they closed Skywalker's by midnight because nobody - other than me and the staff - was there. Night after night. Pretty much every Princess cruise we've been on the entire ship is like a morgue by midnight - often by 11:00 PM.

Hi Thrak,

I usually sit at the international café with my friends and just talk about what happened that day. On the Royal Princess there was a piano player who performed until 1 a.m. he was really good. His name is Perry Grant.

Tony

20 hours ago, billco said:

I'm bringing noise isolation Airpod Pros to help deal with morning line dancing, zumba, or whatever in the Piazza.

Funny, I brought my AirPods Pro too, but i didn't even think to use them. Now I feel silly LOL. 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 10:32 AM, MCC retired said:

Trevor seemed to be the most overworked of the entertainers onboard the Sky .

If he wasn't playing his steel drum in the Piazza or somewhere , he was giving steel drum lessons .

DW and I did one of his steel drum lessons.  We all in the class had a great time, especially trying to play "Mary had a Little Lamb" :classic_blink:.

I will say again, that I think it is in the expectations.

Yes, there is music.  But the ship party band, and other bigger entertainers can be hard to find.

Lots of fill in, low key, violins, guitars, pianos.

I believe they have cut back on the hours (pay?) for the larger acts.

I am one who would love it like when Xcite really carried and rocked the whole cruise a year ago from last December.

1. We were on the Regal Princess in early Feb. Everyone's idea of after-dinner entertainment is different and we tend to have dinner on the late side after enjoying a drink on our deck and sunset. We thought the jazz band at Crooner's if that is the name of the bar outside the Crown Grill was quite good but a terrible location as there were tons of people walking back and forth to go play at some kind of bingo event. We enjoyed listening to them as well on maybe Friday night when we were in Vines pre-dinner. 

We are not big on shows at all although we did go to see the comedian who was quite good.