Jump to content

Coughing on the ship


Recommended Posts

I have a hiatus hernia and sometimes it causes me to cough. Short of wearing a sign round my neck saying I'm not contagious there is little else I (or anyone else in a similar situation) can do but smile brightly and hope no-one wants to throw me overboard!!!!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yeah, with a "smoking section" in one area of the casino and non-smoking in the rest.  As if the smoke (ventilation system not withstanding) knows where to stay and where not to travel!  😕 That is the one major negative I have with RCI and one of the reasons (among others) that we prefer Celebrity within the RCI brand family.

Agree. Possibly one day RC will take Celebrity's lead on eliminating all indoor smoking. At least during RCIs Amped program any ships that had the connoisseur club (cigar lounge) are losing them. The Liberty is the only ship currently in the fleet with that configuration but the Liberty is being Amped this year. So ya never know what direction RCI maybe heading concerning their current casino smoking policy. IMO the RC casinos are nothing but smoking lounges that allows gambling. 

Edited by davekathy
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Possibly one day RC will take Celebrity's lead on eliminating all indoor smoking. At least during RCIs Amped program any ships that had the connoisseur club (cigar lounge) are losing them. The Liberty is the only ship currently in the fleet with that configuration but the Liberty is being Amped this year. So ya never know what direction RCI maybe heading concerning their current casino smoking policy. IMO the RC casinos are nothing but smoking lounges that allows gambling. 

Agree as well......and the cigar lounges also became cigarette lounges with the occasional cigar smoker, which although very well ventilated, destroys the "ambiance" intended for that venue.  (I have in my past life had an occasional cigar on vacation). 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CookieShip said:

On my last cruise, I had caught a bad cold with a terrible cough the week prior, so sometimes I had fits of coughing. (I had gone to the doctor who confirmed it was just a cold, I had no fever,  so nothing serious, but the cough did linger on for over a month!)

 

People stayed away and rightful so, because who wants to get sick while on vacation? I imagine I would be thrown overboard if I were in that condition now on a ship. Maybe would make myself a sign, just a cold, no fever!

 

Curious if you wore a mask.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ldubs said:

 

Curious if you wore a mask.   

Sometimes people are sick on cruises and that is a reality, especially on longer cruises such as transatlantics. The frequency of coughs per minute is my way of calculating the severity of any outbreak.

 

I had a cold on one cruise and isolated myself somewhat by not going to the theater and eating in the buffet in the evening (sitting away from others as much as possible, resting in my room, and using room service. Fortunately, this was at the end of the cruise, and the ports in Europe had lovely, sunny, 70 degree weather. My husband, who has COPD, was also ill and did the same. That was my  first cold/illness on over 20 cruises. I'm a compulsive hand washer who also doesn't directly touch handles and elevator buttons. I wipe down the cabin and hotel rooms, and also use personal bottles of hand sanitizer if I can't hand wash. It can happen to the most rigorous!

 

BTW- in today's environment with coronavirus, I would have worn a mask if I was sick. We brought some masks on our two week Feb cruise, but didn't need them. People who are ill are advised to use them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Markanddonna
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really like it if everyone who coughed covered their mouths when they did, either with a hand that they went and washed afterward, a tissue that they binned, or the inside of their elbow.  My pet peeve is the “magic funnel”.   That’s the loosely curved fist held 6-12 inches away from the face, and then the person coughs in that general direction.  Of course, the magic funnel does nothing at all to catch any germs, spit, or anything else.  It’s just makes the person feel that they’d doing the proper thing, when really, they’re doing nothing at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm another cough-er.  Partly from vocal chord dysfunction.  Also, I tend to get bronchitis every winter, and with that and the VCD, I'll cough for months.  My latest bout started the beginning of December is just now dying down.  I work at a Front Desk - I hate it when I start coughing in front of a guest.  I have to tell them it's not sickness.  

Where I live, it's cold and very dry in the Winter, and with all the heat in buildings creating very dry humidity, lots of folks get the dry cough.  It is a part of life here.   You learn to distinguish your "usual" cough from a "sick" cough.

 

I do feel like I need to wear a big sign around my neck on my next vacation - "not contagious"...

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The coughing passenger is a paying passenger on the ship who passed medical screening and allowed to board. Not an issue. 


Medical screening?! LOL!  That’s the funniest thing I’ve read on CC in a long time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The medical community recommends that those who are ill wear a mask if they have to go in public. Such a trying time for those who have to deal with coughing year round as part of a medical condition.

 

 

And they recommend NOT buying and using masks for routine use because they are needed only for infected people and medical personnel.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

 

And they recommend NOT buying and using masks for routine use because they are needed only for infected people and medical personnel.  

Yeah yeah, dont buy or use them, theyre useless !!

 

"we" need em, lol...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a close friend that had a chronic cough, but his doctor couldn't determine the cause. However, he was not contagious. He was a diabetic and developed a heart condition that ultimately took his life. I had the pleasure of traveling with my friend on 8 cruises and a few road trips. I'm saddened to think something like the Corona virus would cause peoples imaginations to impact my friends ability to travel by making assumptions about his health and the potential and unfounded impact on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 3:54 AM, tallnthensome said:

What does this have to do with Norwegian Cruise Line?  There are other forums to talk about coughing .

I just got off a Norwegian ship, and it was the first cruise that I ever developed a cough and laryngitis the last few days. I blamed it on the non stop disenfectant. The disenfectant smell was so bad at the buffet that it took my breath away and I never went back. I just wondered if others experienced the same. No problem, just an observation.  This is a crazy time for cruisers and cruise lines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2+2 said:

I just got off a Norwegian ship, and it was the first cruise that I ever developed a cough and laryngitis the last few days. I blamed it on the non stop disenfectant. The disenfectant smell was so bad at the buffet that it took my breath away and I never went back. I just wondered if others experienced the same. No problem, just an observation.  This is a crazy time for cruisers and cruise lines.

I "think" we were on the same cruise (The Spirit)  Yes there were a LOT of "cougher's on board, but most (like me) were a dry sort of "hack", and no one really freaked out about it.  As far as the smell in the buffet, guess my wide and I are a lot less snsitive, we never noticed it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FredT said:

I "think" we were on the same cruise (The Spirit)  Yes there were a LOT of "cougher's on board, but most (like me) were a dry sort of "hack", and no one really freaked out about it.  As far as the smell in the buffet, guess my wide and I are a lot less snsitive, we never noticed it.  

I was on the Joy. I think the crew of the Joy are expert disenfectant's by now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I vape a lot in my room so I cough a lot while in my cabin.  I'll have to be more mindful of that.  I don't cough at all while in public spaces.  I just hope one of the neighbors don't freak out

I have to ask what line - it is my understanding that on most lines vaping is subject to the same rules as smoking- which means not allowed in cabins.

 

Back on topic: there are many reasons why people cough, so it is best to assume that they just st need to cough and let it go at that.  Hopefully they will cover their mouths.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, coloradocruiselover88 said:

Dry air on planes and confined spaces gets me every time so I carry cough drops or hard candy so I don't scare people into thinking I am sick.

same here.  this time I'm ready with TheraZinc lozenges, with elderberry and zinc.  helps boost the immunity system, and zinc has been proven to help keep 'cold virus' from making itself at home in your system, and common cold is part of the corona virus family....so hoping it helps with the current covid crap too.  Also keep our distance, lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to go back to the OP's question of how I would feel if somebody was coughing.  That post was written about 2 weeks ago, but times have changed.  COVID-19 is primarily spread via coughing and sneezing and it is thought that anyone within 6 feet is at risk,  possibly at great risk..  A recent study, which still must be peer reviewed, claims that COVID-19 can survive for up to 3 hours in the air.  COVID-19 can well be a death sentence for some folks and may leave many others with permanent lung damage.

 

So, given this relatively new info, we would not feel good if we were near folks who were coughing and sneezing.  In fact, we would take reasonable measures to distance ourselves from those who are coughing and sneezing.  I am not sure that is politically correct behavior, but it does seem reasonable at this time.  Sure, odds are that the person coughing and/or sneezing does not have COVID-19.  In the past I would get my share of colds on cruises because I was willing to take the risk of catching a cold of bug from others.  That is just part of life....especially for those who travel and enjoy socialization.  But now, the stakes are much different.  

 

Hank

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I want to go back to the OP's question of how I would feel if somebody was coughing.  That post was written about 2 weeks ago, but times have changed.  COVID-19 is primarily spread via coughing and sneezing and it is thought that anyone within 6 feet is at risk,  possibly at great risk..  A recent study, which still must be peer reviewed, claims that COVID-19 can survive for up to 3 hours in the air.  COVID-19 can well be a death sentence for some folks and may leave many others with permanent lung damage.

 

So, given this relatively new info, we would not feel good if we were near folks who were coughing and sneezing.  In fact, we would take reasonable measures to distance ourselves from those who are coughing and sneezing.  I am not sure that is politically correct behavior, but it does seem reasonable at this time.  Sure, odds are that the person coughing and/or sneezing does not have COVID-19.  In the past I would get my share of colds on cruises because I was willing to take the risk of catching a cold of bug from others.  That is just part of life....especially for those who travel and enjoy socialization.  But now, the stakes are much different.  

 

Hank

 

 

Sums it up pretty good.  Cruise ships seem to be cough factories. 😬   I didn't like all of the sneezing/coughing happening  on cruise ships before this pandemic.  Even knowing a lot of it is harmless, I would like it even less now.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...