Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MogeyMan

How would you handle very loud conversations in the thermal spa?

Recommended Posts

 I go there to relax, to lie in the waters and just zone out. Last cruise 3 women and a man were carrying on the LOUDEST convo ever, of course, you have to be heard over the water, but they went on for such a long time, I had to leave. I went to a heated lounge, and DAMN, if they didn't show up there still talking. What would you have done? i just left and was grumpy all day. Well, maybe for an hour :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While perhaps annoying, far from the end of the world as we know it. I would move on, maybe have a drink with my wife and laugh about it. Yes, there are inconsiderate jerks in the world. It's a fact. Moving on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my estimation, these loud-mouthed louts are relatives of the inconsiderate folks who blather blithely away while passing by the Lincoln Center Stage in mid-performance. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

 

"I'm not much but I'm all I think about." 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have stopped at the desk to confirm it was a quiet zone and then ask if they wouldn’t mind monitoring the situation.  (And enforcing the policy.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Pardon me, but I'm trying to get in touch with my inner self and all I can hear is your entire conversation. Please Quiet Down!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I would have stopped at the desk to confirm it was a quiet zone and then ask if they wouldn’t mind monitoring the situation.  (And enforcing the policy.)

I agree that this would be the thing to do.   Perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MogeyMan said:

 I go there to relax, to lie in the waters and just zone out. Last cruise 3 women and a man were carrying on the LOUDEST convo ever, of course, you have to be heard over the water, but they went on for such a long time, I had to leave. I went to a heated lounge, and DAMN, if they didn't show up there still talking. What would you have done? i just left and was grumpy all day. Well, maybe for an hour :)

 

I handle it by avoiding the busier times of the day, afternoons usually, especially on sea days late in the cruise when people tire of everything else and decide to try the spa. 

 

Early in the morning, late at night, and during dinner seems to be when its quietest.  

 

Course it doesn't completely eliminate it and I just grit my teeth when people are carrying on with the "social hour".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who doesn't frequent the area, what IS the official policy?  Are there signs saying it is a quiet zone, or information given out to that effect?  If so, I would definitely go to the spa desk and ask for enforcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do frequent the area and I can't remember any "quiet please" kinds of signs. It's just sort of understood, I guess. 

 

I don't object to people talking in the pool area. The splashing is louder than people talking, and standing around in the water is kind of social in an odd way. But the ceramic lounger area is always quiet. 

 

I like to go in the morning when it's quiet. Last week on Zuiderdam, there were a couple of mornings when nobody was in the pool and just a few of us were reading/dozing on loungers around the pool. When the bubbles and the splash shower aren't going, there's just the gentle sound of water sloshing in the pool, and everyone seemed to be enjoying that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes there are advantages to being deaf. :classic_happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I go to the Thermal Spa everyday I am on ship, and yes there is a sign, usually a plaque on the top of the fountain in the Thermal Lounge detailing the policy about making noise.  Also, I am not shy, speak to them politely and if that does not work I go get staff or Security, just because they are jackasses, I don't let them mess with my vacation.

 

Finding a Quiet Place on the Eurodam

The Holland Eurodam can be a very lively ship with many activities. -But, if you are looking for quiet place to just relax onboard the Eurodam, you have some great choices. The Art Gallery, the Explorations Cafe, and the Thermal Suite are all places where you can find peace and quiet!

Thermal Spa.png

Edited by MikeD4134
add info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>I would have told them that this area is a 'quiet zone' and could they please lower their voices. <

 

Since they would continue on, I would repeat that in a louder voice.

 

Since they would continue on, I would repeat that in an even louder voice.

 

Eventually, it would get through to them and they would take offense at being yelled at, but they would shut up.

 

An alternative is to throw a bucket of cold water on them.

 

Ira

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Print off a copy of this article, https://penntoday.upenn.edu/2014-06-05/research/too-much-noise-bad-your-health and hand it to the offenders.

 

There are so many inconsiderate people around in todays society. My biggest peeve are those that have their hand held device set to make a click on every key press or make a noise when they receive a message or e-mail and then  just don't seem to recognize  the sound pollution they are generating. It's no surprise that mental health seems to be a rising problem in young people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't object to people talking in the pool area. The splashing is louder than people talking, and standing around in the water is kind of social in an odd way. But the ceramic lounger area is always quiet. 

 

I like to go in the morning when it's quiet. Last week on Zuiderdam, there were a couple of mornings when nobody was in the pool and just a few of us were reading/dozing on loungers around the pool. When the bubbles and the splash shower aren't going, there's just the gentle sound of water sloshing in the pool, and everyone seemed to be enjoying that. 

 

In order to be heard, one does need to speak a bit louder when one is in the pool.  I have enjoyed some very interesting conversations while in the pool.

 

My favorite time to go--if I can convince my sleepy self to get out of bed--is just when the pool opens in the morning.  Port days, particularly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I would have stopped at the desk to confirm it was a quiet zone and then ask if they wouldn’t mind monitoring the situation.  (And enforcing the policy.)

Exactly.  You never know what psychotic person you might be antagonizing.    You know what they always say “ he was so normal”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headphones worn while on the heated ceramic loungers helps a bit when there is a “talker” in that quiet area.  Next cruise I am investing in noise canceling headphones! I hate when I go there to just zone out and relax and some people are carrying on a loud conversation.  Very inconsiderate.  But then there is occasionally the loud snorer near by too! 😱

 

While on the NS, I did enjoy the spa area, I found the way they designed that ceramic heated lounger area to not be the best for quiet relaxing.  The crew kept coming in and out to fiddle with the water dispenser and the plastic cups.  The showers are directly by the heated ceramic loungers and when they are being used, it is on the loud side.  Depending on where your lounger is located.  As that whole heated lounger area is connected to the shower area, which I find odd and a bit of a bad design.  JMHO.

 

when using the thermal pool I did not come across any loud talkers.  Mostly just the pulse of the water which is relaxing. Guess I was lucky in that respect.

 

Now if you ask me about the loud mouth balcony people, THAT is another story! Talk about inconsiderate! WOW! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, margar said:

Headphones worn while on the heated ceramic loungers helps a bit when there is a “talker” in that quiet area.  Next cruise I am investing in noise canceling headphones! I hate when I go there to just zone out and relax and some people are carrying on a loud conversation.  Very inconsiderate.  But then there is occasionally the loud snorer near by too! 😱

 

While on the NS, I did enjoy the spa area, I found the way they designed that ceramic heated lounger area to not be the best for quiet relaxing.  The crew kept coming in and out to fiddle with the water dispenser and the plastic cups.  The showers are directly by the heated ceramic loungers and when they are being used, it is on the loud side.  Depending on where your lounger is located.  As that whole heated lounger area is connected to the shower area, which I find odd and a bit of a bad design.  JMHO.

 

when using the thermal pool I did not come across any loud talkers.  Mostly just the pulse of the water which is relaxing. Guess I was lucky in that respect.

 

Now if you ask me about the loud mouth balcony people, THAT is another story! Talk about inconsiderate! WOW! 

 

I agree about the poor design putting the ceramic loungers in a busy pathway. 

 

I haven't heard a snorer--that's really awkward. Do you wake someone who's snoring, or is only a spouse allowed to do that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

I agree about the poor design putting the ceramic loungers in a busy pathway. 

 

I haven't heard a snorer--that's really awkward. Do you wake someone who's snoring, or is only a spouse allowed to do that?

 


Glad I’m not the only one who thought it was a poor design with the showers in the same area.  Wonder why they designed it like that. Bad in my opinion.

 

Yes the snoring was awkward but I tried to ignore and just turned my new age “spa” music up a bit more on my earphones!  After a bit, I just decided I’d had enough and left.  Guess it didn’t bother anyone else 😊

 

For the next cruise, I am investing in high quality noise canceling head phone.  That should take care of any noise issues for me - or at least I hope so! 👍🏻

Edited by margar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also could be possible that they could be hard of hearing and don't wear hearing aids while in the pool.

So, just maybe they were not being inconsiderate, just could not hear how loud their voices are.  Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a sign in the Thermal Spa. On our last cruise we were talking with a friend while enjoying the Thermal pool and  a 

 couple who spent their time sleeping and reading in the Spa pointed it out. Their point was well received by us and we lowered our voices. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the rules politely and receiving correction in the same manner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 10:24 AM, *Miss G* said:

I would have stopped at the desk to confirm it was a quiet zone and then ask if they wouldn’t mind monitoring the situation.  (And enforcing the policy.)

 

 

I agree this is the best way to handle so to not get involved.

 

those hot tubs are noisy.  Perhaps suggest they go to the outside hot tubs.  Honestly noise pollution on a ship with blaring music everywhere is annoying.  Then again, if you make it on and off without any illness or injuries then count your blessings given what is going on these days.   Still less noise would be welcomed.  Even in staterooms one's neighbors or the crew working can be noisy.  oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...