Will Princess Work with People

mcrcruiser

I understand your predicament .....however when we sail Princess we pay for the cancel for any reason and when we cruise Celebrity and Royal we buy private insurance with the added cfar. We pay the extra cost for this option and you are wanting the cruise line to give it to you for free basically. Then wouldn't it only be fare to refund all of us the money we spend for the coverage. As you see it's a catch 22 and at what point does the cruise line say enough. Yes, it was unexpected but this is a business that is trying their hardest to navigate this difficult situation. 

• Like 2

Except the majority of insurance states it does NOT cover pandemics. The cruise industry is at a cusp right now, they cannot insure the cruise is what we signed up for and it is safe. Floating around looking for ports is not what we signed up for. If they do not carefully address these issues, they are done, I  have been cruising for years on Princess. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, trrn2016 said:

I have trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance thru my credit card. I have contacted my travel agent and the insurance. I was told by everyone I talked to that since it has been declared an epidemic by the CDC that insurances will not cover, even cancel for no reason.  They said to read the fine print. I would advise checking with your insurance, etc and see what you hear. Please let us know.

Cancel for any reason with Princess is allowing it...... did it 2 days ago for friends traveling in April. It does not cover if you booked one of the non-refundable sales or one that had  non-refundable deposit. 

Edited by Magellan321
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We come to find out that NO insurance is valid including  CFNR  insurance during the time of a pandemic   

This is incorrect.........

We purchase the Princess cancel for any reason insurance for situations like this to protect our cruises.

CFAR means CRAR 

Some roll the dice and don’t purchase insurance and end up losing.

It’s the chance you take.

If someone asks you a reason give them a different reason.

If Princess decides to refund cruises over a certain situation then you dodged the bullet.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrSchwump said:

I’m curious what the OPs itinerary was. Asia or the Far East, I might be with you. Caribbean....get outta here, you’re just being a nervous Nellie. And it’s not (at this time) a pandemic..

Ports in the Caribbean are turning away ships for non-Corona illness reasons, but if missing ports is OK, then ...

out of an abundance of caution … will be the lead line in many announcements 

My 2 cents here.  We are in our 30s and will NEVER book a cruise where we cannot afford to pay the insurance (third party, Princess Insurance costs us more money and has terrible medical benefits), we consider it part of our cruise fare and build this into our vacation cost.  IMO traveling without it at any age is irresponsible unless you are fully prepared to lose your full travel costs and can self insure medically for well into the 6 figures, which if you can and are looking to adopt please let me know!

That being said, airlines are generally the worst with cancellation policies and fees etc.  Even some of them are letting anyone on any itinerary makes changes without penalty.  Princess could do the same.  Should they give refunds, no that’s what insurance is for, but could they let you move the funds to another cruise on a different date, I think that’s reasonable.  

As mentioned previously, cancel for any reason options are just that, you can cancel for ANY reason.  Saying there are exceptions to this, and that pandemics etc don’t qualify, is also irresponsible and has no basis in fact.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

My 2 cents here.  We are in our 30s and will NEVER book a cruise where we cannot afford to pay the insurance (third party, Princess Insurance costs us more money and has terrible medical benefits), we consider it part of our cruise fare and build this into our vacation cost.  IMO traveling without it at any age is irresponsible unless you are fully prepared to lose your full travel costs and can self insure medically for well into the 6 figures, which if you can and are looking to adopt please let me know!

I completely agree with your entire post. It still sends shivers down my spine when I think over 20 years ago I booked a cruise with a parent who had medical issues and didn't purchase insurance! Just that one time.

Now for me - do I double book which I did on this last trip? Princess insurance has lousy medical benefits but CFAR. 3rd party insurance has great medical. I know there are policies that combine both but they are the same cost as double insuring.

Edited by Coral

43 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

But the OP is from Florida.  🤔

Thats interesting. I did not know Canadians and PR could not purchase.

Canadians can purchase as long as they are not from Quebec (Quebec has many laws specific to that province only and I’m no expert on this).  I’m in Ontario and have always been able to add Princess CFAR.

1 hour ago, atchisog said:

Except the majority of insurance states it does NOT cover pandemics. The cruise industry is at a cusp right now, they cannot insure the cruise is what we signed up for and it is safe. Floating around looking for ports is not what we signed up for. If they do not carefully address these issues, they are done, I  have been cruising for years on Princess. 

Be mad at the insurance companies for this, not Princess.  Has this been labeled a pandemic?  

Edited by Abercrombie2019
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

Princess insurance has lousy medical benefits but CFAR. 3rd party insurance has great medical. I know there are policies that combine both but they are the same cost as double insuring.

So check out the Nationwide Luxury Cruise policy, i get their insurance every time.  When I compared policies years ago Even when adding CFAR it was still cheaper than Princess with free Platinum upgrade.  Granted we only get 80% back on CFAR, but hey something is better than nothing, plus they have great cruise specific items like missed ports etc.  I had to file a claim once when fog in Galveston had us leave a day late, we missed Key West and got $500 back.  Easiest claim I ever had.  Our total trip cost is generally around $3-4K and we never pay more than about $200 for both of us.  Plus their medical and evacuation limits are outstanding.

• Like 3

Chase Sapphire has awesome medical and med transport.....but if you try placing a claim based on pandemic....not covered. This really is an issue for you and your dissatisfaction with your credit card insurance terms. 

Let's put this in a little bit of perspective: IF I were to catch this virus while at home and required hospitalization my family out of pocket of 13k would apply. So, should I expect my local hospital to have a heart and give me a pass on the bill. It's called things happen and you are not the only person taking a financial hit or in the lifeboat. This situation sucks for all of us! I personally live in the highest tourist area in the US....so yeah in theory going to my grocery store in the next couple weeks could be way worse percentages of risk. It's called life 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

So check out the Nationwide Luxury Cruise policy, i get their insurance every time.  When I compared policies years ago Even when adding CFAR it was still cheaper than Princess with free Platinum upgrade.  Granted we only get 80% back on CFAR, but hey something is better than nothing, plus they have great cruise specific items like missed ports etc.  I had to file a claim once when fog in Galveston had us leave a day late, we missed Key West and got $500 back.  Easiest claim I ever had.  Our total trip cost is generally around $3-4K and we never pay more than about $200 for both of us.  Plus their medical and evacuation limits are outstanding.

Thank you for the recommendation! I have checked other CFAR but not this one. Will do so in the future.

My main issue is that my work schedule. It is difficult to book far in advance and know if I can go on the trip. My agent sells an Allianz plan that I can pay for insurance at final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions. So I have sort of stuck with this Allianz plan.

We are still about a month from final payment and can get a full refund up to then, so we haven't bought insurance yet.  We usually buy insurance if trip involves flights and always if it's a cruise, but we've never felt compelled to buy CFAR.  It's always been the idea that we want to go on the trip and would only cancel if forced to - and a routine policy covered those things we thought would prevent us (delays, accidents, injury, jury duty, etc).  If final payment had been a month ago, we definitely would have not purchased CFAR.  If we make the final payment and plan to take the trip (Mediterranean), we will most likely buy the Princess insurance that includes the CFAR coverage.

Fortunately, we still have a month to decide.  Unfortunately, we only have a month to decide.  Crystal ball, anyone?

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Thank you for the recommendation! I have checked other CFAR but not this one. Will do so in the future.

My main issue is that my work schedule. It is difficult to book far in advance and know if I can go on the trip. My agent sells an Allianz plan that I can pay for insurance at final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions. So I have sort of stuck with this Allianz plan.

Sorry, I checked and its 75% here are the qualifying conditions for adding this on:

If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this Certificate, the Company will reimburse You for the 
percentage of the prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip shown on the 
Confirmation of Coverage provided: 
a) Your premium payment is received prior to or on the date Your final deposit/payment for Your 
Trip is received; and 
b) You insure all prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure prior to 
or on the date Your final payment for those arrangements the cost of any subsequent arrangements (or any other 
arrangements not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip; and 
c) You cancel Your Trip two (2) days or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steelers0854 said:

Sorry, I checked and its 75% here are the qualifying conditions for adding this on:

If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this Certificate, the Company will reimburse You for the 
percentage of the prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip shown on the 
Confirmation of Coverage provided: 
a) Your premium payment is received prior to or on the date Your final deposit/payment for Your 
Trip is received; and 
b) You insure all prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure prior to 
or on the date Your final payment for those arrangements the cost of any subsequent arrangements (or any other 
arrangements not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip; and 
c) You cancel Your Trip two (2) days or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date.

Thanks - will look into it for next trip.

15 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

We purchased a Nationwide Cruise policy for our last cruise.  I was impressed with the coverage and the price - particularly the missed ports and changed itinerary terms.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

I'  m not irresponsible and have never bought insurance for an individual cruise at least 80 times cruising.  I do have an annual policy with medjet to cover the cost for a medical evacuation from anywhere in the world. That is what costs the big bucks. My HMO covers me for medical anywhere so I don't need double coverage there. I would loose the cruise and airfare if I cancel. I figure that after every ten cruises I come out ahead or even not buying insurance. After my 80 cruises I'm positive I've saved enough to cover loosing a cruise fare. I wouldn't loose the airfare entirely since I could and would  pay the fee of about $200 to reschedule to someplace else. 

It's all a numbers game that should be looked at individually without these blanket statements about always buying insurance.  

FWIW I'm booked on the Diamond Princess in July and took Princess ezair business class which was very expensive and am almost paid in full. I am not panicked and am older and immunity compromised.

Sorry I'm not open to adoption at this time 😔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, imsailin said:

We are sailing at the end of April. Unfortunately we did not purchase cancellation insurance - I see now that that was really dumb of me. Does anyone know if it is too late to purchase it now from Princess as it is about 60 days until we sail. We have paid our cruise and ezair flight in full. I really do not want to cancel - but if this virus gets worse I worry.

You can add Princess insurance up until final payment. I do that all the time. But not after final payment, so I think you're out of luck at the about 60 days.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'  m not irresponsible and have never bought insurance for an individual cruise at least 80 times cruising.  I do have an annual policy with medjet to cover the cost for a medical evacuation from anywhere in the world. That is what costs the big bucks. My HMO covers me for medical anywhere so I don't need double coverage there. I would loose the cruise and airfare if I cancel. I figure that after every ten cruises I come out ahead or even not buying insurance. After my 80 cruises I'm positive I've saved enough to cover loosing a cruise fare. I wouldn't loose the airfare entirely since I could and would  pay the fee of about $200 to reschedule to someplace else. 

It's all a numbers game that should be looked at individually without these blanket statements about always buying insurance.  

FWIW I'm booked on the Diamond Princess in July and took Princess ezair business class which was very expensive and am almost paid in full. I am not panicked and am older and immunity compromised.

Not sure where your Diamond Princess trip is going but Medjet is restricting this policy due to the recent COVID-19:

By John Gobbels, COO

UDATED AS OF 2/7/2020 12:30pm CST

Due to restrictions resulting from the Coronavirus, MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services continue to be heavily restricted, and in some areas suspended, in the following countries and territories:

• China
  • Hong Kong
  • Taiwan
  • Macau

Services to additional countries may be restricted in the future. Medjet is monitoring all updates from multiple health and government sources.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

I have trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance thru my credit card. I have contacted my travel agent and the insurance. I was told by everyone I talked to that since it has been declared an epidemic by the CDC that insurances will not cover, even cancel for no reason.  

I do not believe this is correct.  An insurance broker suggested that if you want to cancel, tell them "I changed my mind" or some other such nonsense rather than saying you are cancelling for coronavirus.  They cannot deny you then, otherwise it is certainly not CFAR coverage.

45 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Yup, exactly my point, you know the risks and are comfortable with any losses you incur.  One thing I will point out is that US health insurance abroad is generally secondary insurance, meaning you have to pay at time of service and get reimbursed when you get home.  This could be tens of thousands of dollars if not more, many people (you seem to not fall in this category) cant float that kind of money.  Which is why picking the right cruise insurance policy is best to ensure they cover for what YOU need, which everyone will be different.

My post was mainly for those that like to hop on here and complain that a for profit company isn’t willing to give them every penny back due to something the company has no control over, and then they say this creates a financial hardship.  That’s where I was going.  

Keep me in mind in case you change your mind on the adoption, DW and I are great “kids” to have around 🙂 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Coral said:

Not sure where your Diamond Princess trip is going but Medjet is restricting this policy due to the recent COVID-19:

By John Gobbels, COO

UDATED AS OF 2/7/2020 12:30pm CST

Due to restrictions resulting from the Coronavirus, MedjetAssist and MedjetHorizon services continue to be heavily restricted, and in some areas suspended, in the following countries and territories:

• China
  • Hong Kong
  • Taiwan
  • Macau

Services to additional countries may be restricted in the future. Medjet is monitoring all updates from multiple health and government sources.

I didn't know this, thanks for posting. I am on the japan cruisetour July 5-19 on the Diamond. I see Japan is not on the list you posted. I am not cancelling and will wait to see what happens. If Princess cancels then I'll look forward to that 25% savings on a future cruise which is a significant amount based on my cruise fare. Since we disembark 5 days before the Olympics it seems that there will be much consideration by Japan who might cancel the games if the virus is still a threat.

The Galapogos is looking better and better right now as a substitute cruise.

Edited by cruzsnooze

25 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

I do not believe this is correct.  An insurance broker suggested that if you want to cancel, tell them "I changed my mind" or some other such nonsense rather than saying you are cancelling for coronavirus.  They cannot deny you then, otherwise it is certainly not CFAR coverage.

Ive never heard of a CC policy that includes CFAR, I think the OP was just saying they have trip insurance and tried to.claim interruption or cancellation due to the disease, which I have yet to see a policy that includes that, in any form (epidemic, pandemic etc).  which is why everyone is now recommending your policy have a CFAR provision.  If you find a CC that has this please let me know, Ill sign up for that in a heartbeat.