Q. Will HAL let me board if I still have a cough from a cold?

Machta

Hello, everyone!  What strange times we live in . . . we are booked on the Oosterdam departing San Diego on March 14th.  Right now we are less worried about getting the coronavirus and more worried about whether or not they will allow me to board as I recover from a cold.  I came down with it about a week ago, no fever.  I'm getting better already but still have a cough.  I called HAL and they said that the health screening at the ship would determine if I could board or not.  Of course, my symptoms should be better by then, but what if my husband or daughter comes down with this in the meantime?  

The fellow on the phone at HAL said that they would look at whether or not someone has had a fever and where they've traveled.  I suppose that they will also ask if there's been a known exposure.  Please note that while I have all the compassion and concern for those who have been infected with the coronavirus, those of us who haven't been infected (yet?) are certainly still very affected . . .

We have the regular cruise protection, not the Platinum, and he said that if we get to the ship and they turn one or more of us away from the health screening that's within the 24 hour exclusion limit and we would be out the entire cruise fee.

I'd appreciate any input anyone has on how the health screenings are going.  I certainly will be upfront and honest on the questionnaire and in talking to the screener, but if the risk of having a recurring phlegmy cough is that we lose the entire cost of the cruise, we're wondering if we wouldn't be better off rebooking or cancelling.  

Thoughts?

How can anyone on this board answer your questions? There are already to many false prophets on this site blaring all sorts of knowledge about any thing and every thing. The only answers you need in regards to this are from HAL not from Cruise Critic Experts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billbunger said:

not from Cruise Critic Experts.

I think you mean Cruise Critic "Experts" 😉

21 minutes ago, Machta said:

he said that if we get to the ship and they turn one or more of us away from the health screening that's within the 24 hour exclusion limit and we would be out the entire cruise fee.

I would call back, ask to speak with a supervisor, and then have that SUPERVISOR confirm the conversation via email.  If the email is unclear at all, reply asking for clarification of specific point. Then make your decision based on the information you received from a HAL representative in the email(s).

• Haha 1

Yes, you may board with a common cold.

At worst you might be asked to speak with the ship's medical staff and explain what symptoms you have and how long you have been feeling unwell.

The Health Questionnaire that you must fill out has 3 questions.  If you answer "No" to each of them you will be able to board.  All three deal with the recent illness which has spread to many countries.

It might be a good idea to bring some over the counter cold remedy medications with you.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 2

I would suggest that you speak to your doctor about an inhaler and/or a cough suppressant that might clear up that nagging cough over the next few days and allow you to get some rest at night.  My last cold needed some prednisone and an inhaler to clear the inflammation in my throat not being something worse in my lungs. Not only will it help you pass the inspection but boy will you feel better for your vacation!

• Like 2

FWIW, the WHO report (on China's conditions) state the "most common symptoms are fever (88%) and dry cough (68%)." Underlining mine. I'm sure a phlegmy cough sounds worse to those hearing it, but in truth, my dry allergic cough should be the more troubling. This is me stocking up on dextromethorphan.

When we boarded on Feb 16/20, in FLL, the questionnaire had two questions.  There may have been a third if one of the answers to the questions was a Yes.  The two questions were Have you travelled to China, Macau (and a couple of other places that I can't recall) within the last 20 days? and Have you been exposed to someone with Coronavirus?  I'm sure you'll be fine but agree with the advice to take OTC meds with you to minimize the symptoms.

Currently on the Oosterdam...when we boarded last week in San Diego we expected a lot of questions, etc.  All we had to do was answer a form...had we traveled to certain areas, etc.  The person in front of us in line had a big coughing  "fit" as we boarded.....he continued on to the ship....no problem. 

I think that I would cancel the cruise.  You are boarding in California, which does have corona virus cases.  You have a cough and you are worried about family members coming down with a cold.  Which, if tested, could result in an even false positive.  The country is in a panic mode now, and new rules are being promulgated daily.  The Diamond Princess has now a new cluster of passengers who are exhibiting cold symptoms and now the ship is being returning to San Francisco early, skipping Ensanado.  No passengers will be allowed to disembark until the testing of the cluster of passengers has been completed.  With new quarantines being announced every day, is this stress really something you want to endure on a vacation?   Your health and that of your family is not your only concern.  You should be concerned about possible restraints imposed on the ship.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.  My daughter is indeed coming down with the cold, and my husband is feeling like a marked man!  We decided to cancel and re-book for another cruise in Summer 2021.  We have another cruise booked in May out of Seattle on the Oosterdam, so we'll wait and see about that one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machta said:

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.  My daughter is indeed coming down with the cold, and my husband is feeling like a marked man!  We decided to cancel and re-book for another cruise in Summer 2021.  We have another cruise booked in May out of Seattle on the Oosterdam, so we'll wait and see about that one.

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I think that's the Grand Princess; Diamond is somewhere having all her soft furnishings destroyed...

You are right.  My mistake.  Thank you.   

Edited by Tampa Girl
Did not finish.