Jump to content

CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK: SHOULDN'T AZAMARA AVOID ITALIAN PORTS FOR NOW?


Cahpek
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

Not saying the situation isn't serious, but your link is all over social media with different people purporting to be the 'author'.  

Was unaware of that.   Apologizes if it is spam and/or untrue.

 

Have checked it out and Snopes says it was authored by an American living in Italy and is essentially correct.   The post on cruisecritic that I linked gave no attribution so I thought the poster wrote it.

Here is Snopes' analysis for anyone who cares: 

 https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cristina-higgins-coronavirus-post/

 

Edited by the mice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, DRJVH said:

Australia has banned all people arriving from Italy unless they’re Australian citizens returning who then have to self quarantine for 14 days.

We were on the Quest 23 April Athens to Venice.  Interestingly, this cruise and the one after on 9 May are now not showing on Azamara’s website. 
I think it’s about time Azamara advised its passengers !!

 

2 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

Still on the Australian website I can access - Friday morning Australian time

image.thumb.png.1f7590dac158ada4166a3aaa50a4f83b.png

 

image.thumb.png.89b21838a4135589f31ea718b99b3a0b.png

Sorry you’re right, I must have had a glitch because I did it twice and it still came up with no cruises. 🤷‍♀️
Our TA confirmed still there. 
 

Still Azamara does nothing🤔🤔

Edited by DRJVH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

I apologize for the silence. I do not have any answers just yet. As soon as I do I will share them with our CC community.

 

Could I please ask you Bonnie if AZ are aware of the upset and anger of its customers and the potential this has on its future bookings please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Until last night I was giving Azamara the benefit of doubt, making excuses for them like ‘it does take a long time to sort things out’ ‘ they need to make sure they take their time in order to make the correct decision so as they don’t have to keep changing it’ 

 

Quite frankly I think last yesterday’s update is totally unacceptable, it’s quite obvious not only that it’s inadvisable to cruise in Europe anytime soon but it may become virtually impossible with so many ports now closed, I see as of yesterday Spain have closed Their ports.
 

The only reason I can think of for their lack of cancellations is they want us their loyal customers to give in first and cancel and accept FCC thus saving them from having to pay refunds.
 

Even though we know our 9th May is bound to be cancelled it’s still very unsettling waiting for confirmation. (First world problem I know)

 

We are quite shocked by this and find it totally unacceptable!  I don’t think we would book Azamara again, they are losing so much goodwill from many very loyal customers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vival said:

Until last night I was giving Azamara the benefit of doubt, making excuses for them like ‘it does take a long time to sort things out’ ‘ they need to make sure they take their time in order to make the correct decision so as they don’t have to keep changing it’ 

 

Quite frankly I think last yesterday’s update is totally unacceptable, it’s quite obvious not only that it’s inadvisable to cruise in Europe anytime soon but it may become virtually impossible with so many ports now closed, I see as of yesterday Spain have closed Their ports.
 

The only reason I can think of for their lack of cancellations is they want us their loyal customers to give in first and cancel and accept FCC thus saving them from having to pay refunds.
 

Even though we know our 9th May is bound to be cancelled it’s still very unsettling waiting for confirmation. (First world problem I know)

 

We are quite shocked by this and find it totally unacceptable!  I don’t think we would book Azamara again, they are losing so much goodwill from many very loyal customers.

I absolutely agree with you. We are on the 11th April cruise from Singapore to Dubai. With hearing today that Singapore has shut its port to cruise ships we now have no ports on our itinerary that are open. I just do not get their approach to this crisis at all as all they are doing is alienating their future customers 😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2020 at 3:35 AM, vival said:

Until last night I was giving Azamara the benefit of doubt, making excuses for them like ‘it does take a long time to sort things out’ ‘ they need to make sure they take their time in order to make the correct decision so as they don’t have to keep changing it’ 

 

Quite frankly I think last yesterday’s update is totally unacceptable, it’s quite obvious not only that it’s inadvisable to cruise in Europe anytime soon but it may become virtually impossible with so many ports now closed, I see as of yesterday Spain have closed Their ports.
 

The only reason I can think of for their lack of cancellations is they want us their loyal customers to give in first and cancel and accept FCC thus saving them from having to pay refunds.
 

Even though we know our 9th May is bound to be cancelled it’s still very unsettling waiting for confirmation. (First world problem I know)

 

We are quite shocked by this and find it totally unacceptable!  I don’t think we would book Azamara again, they are losing so much goodwill from many very loyal customers.

Absolutely agree with you, their latest response was unacceptable. We know our May 4 cruise from Rome will be cancelled! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PRESS RELEASES

twitter sharing button
facebook sharing button
tumblr sharing button
pinterest sharing button
email sharing button
sharethis sharing button

 

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ANNOUNCES GLOBAL SUSPENSION OF CRUISING

MIAMI, March 14, 2020 – Given global public health circumstances, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has decided to suspend the sailings of our fleet globally at midnight tonight. 

We will conclude all current sailings as scheduled and assist our guests with their safe return home. 

As with our announcement yesterday regarding U.S. sailings, we expect to return to service on April 11, 2020. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This does not assist those of us sailing the Med from April one bit! Do they get the news in Miami?  Have they heard Spain is to imminently join Italy on lockdown? If other cruise companies can do the right thing by their guests and their crew why can't Azamara? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Spursgirl said:

This does not assist those of us sailing the Med from April one bit! Do they get the news in Miami?  Have they heard Spain is to imminently join Italy on lockdown? If other cruise companies can do the right thing by their guests and their crew why can't Azamara? 

I agree, it seems they have adopted a strategy of wanting to be last to stop and first to start but have ended up looking stupid in the process.  Personally I would set the cash refunds to the end of May now but keep the options open for those who wish to stay booked to do so in the unlikely chance it tails off sooner.  But even if it tails off you are still at risk of someone bringing it onboard.  I would rather that they wait longer to possibly get some other future credit in addition.

Edited by uktog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While it might become necessary at some point, I am not advocating that Azamara junk their entire Med Season today. But Italy, Spain and possibly France will not have recovered and be ready to welcome tourists before June at the earliest and in my opinion that is a stretch. Cancelling cruises in April and May seems the responsible thing to do. It is so sad that we are applauding the integrity of Viking and other competitor lines and denigrating Azamara 

Edited by Spursgirl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Spursgirl said:

While it might become necessary at some point, I am not advocating that Azamara junk their entire Med Season today. But Italy, Spain and possibly France will not have recovered and be ready to welcome tourists before June at the earliest and in my opinion that is a stretch. Cancelling cruises in April and May seems the responsible thing to do. It is so sad that we are applauding the integrity of Viking and other competitor lines and denigrating Azamara 

Totally agree, I would respect them FAR more if they did that now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am scheduled for a back to back cruise April 18 from Lisbon and Apr 26 from Barcelona.  Was so looking forward to it and a loyal Azamara customer, but as much as I appreciate the future cruise credit if we cancel, I would prefer a refund and that they would cancel.  We are visiting Spain, France and Italy, the epicenter of the virus. They need to cancel these cruises and give us the option of a refund.  The USA government will bail them out, but nobody is going to bail me out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad you are so sure the U.S. will bail them out!?    Is that the thinking in Massachusetts?    Right now cruises are cancelled through 4/12 and we will wait to see what they do after that.   Right now the cruise companies are taking care of current passengers and March through April 11 cruises.   You may not think it but the U.S. does not have a bottomless pit of funding.   Azamara may get some relief, after the airlines etc, but cruise lines won’t be the first in line for funding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sofia99 said:

I am scheduled for a back to back cruise April 18 from Lisbon and Apr 26 from Barcelona.  Was so looking forward to it and a loyal Azamara customer, but as much as I appreciate the future cruise credit if we cancel, I would prefer a refund and that they would cancel.  We are visiting Spain, France and Italy, the epicenter of the virus. They need to cancel these cruises and give us the option of a refund.  The USA government will bail them out, but nobody is going to bail me out 

I cannot imagine that anything will go ahead for a couple of months. Hang on in there as they will have to cancel if that is the case and you should get a refund.  We were Booked on the 4/11 from Singapore and they cancelled last week.  Fingers crossed it goes well for you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are booked on the 5 night Grand Prix cruise from Barcelona on 21 May. This cruise is still being advertised, despite Spain being in lockdown and the Grand Prix having been cancelled!

 

Personally I don’t think there will be any cruising in Europe this year and the cruise lines need to recognise this. I understand there will be major cash flow issues and that some cruise lines, like many other businesses, will not survive. For this reason I think we’ll be faced with accepting FCCs if we want to cruise in 2021 and onwards.

 

In the meantime, Azamara please recognise reality and cancel cruises up to the end of June at least.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

We are booked on the 5 night Grand Prix cruise from Barcelona on 21 May. This cruise is still being advertised, despite Spain being in lockdown and the Grand Prix having been cancelled!

 

Personally I don’t think there will be any cruising in Europe this year and the cruise lines need to recognise this. I understand there will be major cash flow issues and that some cruise lines, like many other businesses, will not survive. For this reason I think we’ll be faced with accepting FCCs if we want to cruise in 2021 and onwards.

 

In the meantime, Azamara please recognise reality and cancel cruises up to the end of June at least.

 

 

This one may be affected by the package regulations in the UK given the cancellation of the GP.  Time will tell..... but yes I hope I hear something soon though psychologically I have already cancelled in my brain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we all have to accept that Azamara, the Royal Caribbean brand and cruise lines in general are operating a wait and see policy and coming up with end dates that will come and go. The airline and other travel industries are doing the same thing, but not in unison.

 

There is no way that the 11th April 2020, being the current return to operations date is workable and I'm sure most realise that. We all just have to make up our own minds and also hope the companies do the right thing at each stage. 

 

Phil 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont know whether you are aware, but Italy has been totally closed both on shore and in the sea since like last week. They dont even know when they will open borders back again. No ship can enter their ports starting next week (unless you are a fisherman or smth). Azamara will go Siracuse or smth. I also wonder how do passengers get notified about such situation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...